• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen How would trading work?

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
Time probably doesn't flow correctly at the Entralink and they'll probably just throw a trade center there for you to trade with people from two years ago.

Cello

Tonight!
Years
That's a good point, and i'd be interested in knowing how they'll go about doing this as well. I imagine it will have something to do with a time machine like in G/S/C, but at the same time I feel like it would mess up the whole idea of linking up with other games wirelessly... Actually, what the hell am I saying? They could pull that off.

Still, i'm interesting in seeing if they do something with it using a method of time travel or just keeping it the same with complete disregard to the story.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think we might not be able to trade at all, but rather trade to some kind of third party thing. Consider something like Pokemon Box, but a new "portal between the old and the new" game (like Poketransfer, except for DS specifically and you'd need 2 DS' for it) as a way to trade between the generations. It'd make more money for Nintendo and it would make sense as to why you can't trade like normal with a 2 year difference.

...if not, we'll trade like normal. :(

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Hm. No idea. I'm hoping they would make it a bit easier. Yeah, it would be two years later, but I wish they would SOMEHOW make it to where you don't need the internet or two DS consoles to trade Pokemon.
If there were no trading at all...I'd be pretty chill with that. (I hack most of my Pokemon, anyways >->)
I'm thinking it may be somewhat like how you had to trade from the IV Gen games, though.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Hm. No idea. I'm hoping they would make it a bit easier. Yeah, it would be two years later, but I wish they would SOMEHOW make it to where you don't need the internet or two DS consoles to trade Pokemon.
If there were no trading at all...I'd be pretty chill with that. (I hack most of my Pokemon, anyways >->)
I'm thinking it may be somewhat like how you had to trade from the IV Gen games, though.

That's a transfer, not a trade. They were hinted to be able to trade. I'm kinda thinking revival of the Time Machine if they don't introduce new Items or attacks.

Attacks seems less likely due to wifi battle issues. So unless we get new hold items, I don't see many restrictions placed except for Kyurem.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
I get the feeling it will be similiar to our current way of trading between two BW games. The difference is the forms i.e. Kyurem will revert to their original one and they could always but a block on moves like they do with HMs(albeit a transfer).

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I think there will be no barriers to trading.

The only new pokemon data is Kyurem's forms. It would be like Giratina, when he is in the newer game, the extra form is available, otherwise not.
Keldo and medodia(or whatever) where already in the games, just unreleased.

Years
Well, if you're trading from post-game BW to BW2 then you could maybe pretend that an unspecified amount of time has passed and that it's not such a difference and not bother with an explanation.

I imagine they could come up with some kind of Dream World-inspired explanation for the difference in time.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I don't think it will matter much unless they do something like they did in Firered and Leafgreen. Otherside they could easly just use the transfer thing on Route 16 I think it is. How we got pokemon from HGSS to BW

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
There's probably something similar to PokeTransfer included or you'll be able to trade normally minus Black Kyurem and White Kyurem.

SS01

#PoC Collab
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
I'm thinking there will either be something like the GSC Time Capsule added in, or the PokeTransfer will be used for this purpose as well as sending Pokemon from Gen IV over. I'd be disappointed if they use the same PokeTransfer, since that means trading with BW would have to wait until the end of the game, unless they allow access to Route 16 earlier.

Also, this is pure speculation and more hoping than anything else, but wouldn't it be awesome if upon trading with BW for the first time, a patch is automatically applied adding two more spaces to the Unova Dex and allowing the new forms of Kyurem to be traded to BW as separate Pokemon? I know it's extremely unlikely, but it'd be nice.

tj4bigred

Instant Classic
Years
It was aliens.

I kind of expect something like Fire Red and Leaf Green, that would be no trading to BW until after the Elite 4 or something.

Other than that, Black/White Kyurem would be untradeable. You can't just have it revert back to it's normal form, because it would most likely still have moves exclusive to it's form. Plus, if traded back, how would somebody reconvert it to the form it was in before the trade? See the issue?

Mr. Magius

  
Years
I kind of expect something like Fire Red and Leaf Green, that would be no trading to BW until after the Elite 4 or something.

Other than that, Black/White Kyurem would be untradeable. You can't just have it revert back to it's normal form, because it would most likely still have moves exclusive to it's form. Plus, if traded back, how would somebody reconvert it to the form it was in before the trade? See the issue?
The Pokémon in B2/W2 won't be tradeable if it has moves exclusive to its form that aren't available in B/W... just like in G/S/C. Simply delete the move(s) and it would be tradeable, I assume. And if traded back to the original game, then you would use the method you used to get it to that form in the first place? :I

I'm thinking we'll be able to trade with B/W sometime mid-game. It would be a disappointment to not be able to transfer any of my B/W Pokés until after I've beaten most of the game :-(

blue

gucci
Years
I think they could implement a similar time travel method as they did in GSC, as we know it is 2 years on and a similar scenario was set for Gold & Silver.

Years
  • Seen May 16, 2012
I'm not sure that any moves will be added that aren't already in the B/W data. I mean besides the forms, there'd be no difference. It would be like trading in hg/ss with d/p/p. I mean hg/ss take place at different times, but they didn't seem to have to need to bring that up in trading/battling.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Trade barrier? What trade barrier? BW2 doesn't need them to be honest, even though they are sequels, because they share the same Dex for the most part,. I expect no trading restrictions once you got your C-Gear. Story be darned. (I blame online and having no precedent since Generation IV)

To be honest, though, I'm also expecting them to require an event before full trading permissions XD

Lateon

The Eon Follower
Years
I think it would be the same as trading between hg/ss and d/p/pt. The time difference wasn't brought up there, so why should it be now? Though I agree that there will probably be an event to unlock the full trading capacity between the games, whether it be beating the elite four or another side story.

As for Kyurem's forms, the technology in pokemon has gotten more advanced since d/p/pt. I can see them releasing a patch through dream world, hooking up to the new game, or even wifi to add Kyurem's new forms to the B/W pokedex. How hard could it be, really? (Remember when hooking up FR/LG to RSE unlocked the National Pokedex?)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I think it would be the same as trading between hg/ss and d/p/pt. The time difference wasn't brought up there, so why should it be now? Though I agree that there will probably be an event to unlock the full trading capacity between the games, whether it be beating the elite four or another side story.

As for Kyurem's forms, the technology in pokemon has gotten more advanced since d/p/pt. I can see them releasing a patch through dream world, hooking up to the new game, or even wifi to add Kyurem's new forms to the B/W pokedex. How hard could it be, really? (Remember when hooking up FR/LG to RSE unlocked the National Pokedex?)

I don't know if it would be possible to patch as the game is saved on the cartridge and adding more data from the outside corrupts the data, which is why Action Replays are usually bad for games. I don't exactly know how the C-gear skin and Pokedex skin things work, but they can't be a major change compared to remotely adding script with new sprites to the game as a whole.

The kyurem forms are gunna be the sequel specific Pokemon. So there will be restrictions like with Platinum/HG/SS with D/P. Also D/P/Pt/HG/SS were during the same story line period so they wouldn't be effected by the time issue that plagues B/W and B2W2

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
Didn't they come up with some weird side quest in FR/LG which helped you trade with Ruby and Sapphire, you had to collect two plates which powered some sort of machine? We'll probably just get something like that in B2/W2, with some crazy explanation that isn't going to make sense.

Back