• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ron Paul ends Presidential campaign

Years
(Reuters) - Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul said on Monday he was scaling back his White House bid and will no longer campaign actively in states that have yet to hold primary elections.

Instead, Paul's campaign will concentrate on trying to add to its tally of delegates to the Republican National Convention in August by sending large groups of supporters to state conventions to elect themselves to delegate slots.

"Our campaign will continue to work in the state convention process. We will continue to take leadership positions, win delegates, and carry a strong message to the Republican National Convention that liberty is the way of the future," Paul said in a statement.

"Moving forward, however, we will no longer spend resources campaigning in primaries in states that have not yet voted," he added. "Doing so with any hope of success would take many tens of millions of dollars we simply do not have," Paul said.

He is the last main challenger to presumptive nominee Mitt Romney in the Republican race to confront President Barack Obama.

Paul has yet to win any of the state nominating contests. So far, He has only 99 delegates while Romney has 949, according to Real Clear Politics. A candidate needs 1,144 to win the nomination.

Paul urged his supporters to vote in upcoming elections, even though he would not actively campaign in the states that still must hold a nominating contest ahead of the party's convention before the November 6 presidential election.

The 76-year-old Texas congressman's message of sharply reducing the role of government, scrapping the Federal Reserve and ending the U.S. military presence overseas is unique to him. Many of his supporters have said they would not vote at all on Election Day if Paul were not the nominee.

Paul's statement said his campaign would explain details of its delegate strategy "in the coming days."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...84D14E20120514

Romney's last obstacle seems to have exited the race finally.

Sir Codin

Ron Paul was my favorite candidate and by "favorite" I mean "the only one I somewhat liked."

Romney Everyone else running can go to hell for all I care.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Misleading title is misleading.

Ron Paul HAS NOT suspended his campaign. He is still actively seeking the Republican Presidential nomination by gaming the delegate selection process.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Well, Romney was a shoo-in from the beginning. Looks like the extremists have lost. Again. But still, better Obama than Romney. Even though Romney in office would allow us a better "Amercia".

Illuminaughty

The Graceful Idiot
Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2012
Well, Romney was a shoo-in from the beginning. Looks like the extremists have lost. Again. But still, better Obama than Romney. Even though Romney in office would allow us a better "Amercia".

Isn't Romney kind of an extremist?

Here is just a touch on some of his extremist stances:

He wants to engage Iran in war.
Wants to keep troops in Iraq.
Believes that Russia is our "number one geopolitical foe". (We should have more nuclear weapons; they should have less.)
Against civil unions and the DADT Repeal.

Do we really need to start and continue more and more wars?
Do we need the government to intervene in our personal lives?

I think the title is fine, but would be better worded, "Ron Paul has stop actively campaigning", since he has not dropped out of the GOP Presidential Primary. So to say that Romney is definitely the nominee is false, even though I do believe he will seize the nomination.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Isn't Romney kind of an extremist?

Here is just a touch on some of his extremist stances:

He wants to engage Iran in war.
Wants to keep troops in Iraq.
Believes that Russia is our "number one geopolitical foe". (We should have more nuclear weapons; they should have less.)
Against civil unions and the DADT Repeal.

Do we really need to start and continue more and more wars?
Do we need the government to intervene in our personal lives?

I think the title is fine, but would be better worded, "Ron Paul has stop actively campaigning", since he has not dropped out of the GOP Presidential Primary. So to say that Romney is definitely the nominee is false, even though I do believe he will seize the nomination.
The question is how much of those are his actual opinions. He does tend to flip-flop a lot and cater to the audience before him. If you're running for the GOP, you have to cater to the base. Like John McCain.

Is he extreme? I don't know. He brought Massachusetts near-universal health care. And he raised taxes (well, user fees. Same difference). He was pro-choice (now he's not. Again, catering to the audience who has to vote for him). Proposed full-day kindergarten. Advocated for comprehensive sex education in schools. Wanted to ban assault weapons.

But, that was the Romney of 10 years ago. Campaigning seems to make moderate candidates go loopy (again, see McCain). Folks who stay true to themselves like Huntsman and don't pander to the base end up being thrown into the trash. So, it's a delicate dance.

Personally, I don't know why someone would vote for him since you don't know who he's going to be the next day XD Except for the gay marriage bit. He's been consistent there. But, aside from DADT it's not a federal issue so wouldn't really make a difference I think.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
Romney is over 350 delegates short of clinching the nomination.
Wrong. He got 1,144 delegates on Tuesday, which is what he needed to get the nomination. This thread is over two weeks old - the numbers in the original post are outdated...and even they were accurate that's far less than 350 that he'd need. :/

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I find it really hilarious that liberals tend to call Romney extremist and in the 50s and such, while conservatives tend to call him a secret liberal and not a real conservative, etc etc.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Wrong. He got 1,144 delegates on Tuesday, which is what he needed to get the nomination. This thread is over two weeks old - the numbers in the original post are outdated...and even they were accurate that's far less than 350 that he'd need. :/

Assuming Romney will win all of Texas' delegates, he's still 383 delegates short of the nominal number.

Romney is exactly the same as Obama. Arguing between Obama and Romney is like arguing between Coke and Pepsi.

Illuminaughty

The Graceful Idiot
Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2012
I don't understand why wanting to engage in unnecessary war is not an extreme view. Is it not? BTW, I am not a "liberal", it's because I am fiscally conservative, and unnecessary war is too costly. Monetary issues aside, declaring war with little to no cause is imperialism.

Imperialists = Extremists

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I don't understand why wanting to engage in unnecessary war is not an extreme view. Is it not? BTW, I am not a "liberal", it's because I am fiscally conservative, and unnecessary war is too costly. Monetary issues aside, declaring war with little to no cause is imperialism.

Imperialists = Extremists
Could be. I just meant... you wouldn't really know if that is his true view or not. Could just be a speaking point to cater to the base.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
A more apt title would have been "Hope ends in American political system."

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Romney is exactly the same as Obama. Arguing between Obama and Romney is like arguing between Coke and Pepsi.

Sorry, but I'm the only one allowed to use slightly flawed analogies. Coke =/= Pepsi. They taste completely different.

A better comparison would have been arguing between Coke and Coke Zero.

Not really suprised that he dropped out/ lost. I'll agree that he has some very loyal followers (Fanatical, and rabid, followers.) but thats his extent. He has heavy appeal with a specific group of people, but little appeal with almost every other group.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Assuming Romney will win all of Texas' delegates, he's still 383 delegates short of the nominal number.

Ron Paul is done. It'll be Romney. And, by the way, there is a difference between Romney and Obama. Many, in fact.

Unlike Obama, Romney will start a nuclear war.
Unlike Obama, Romney will continue the war on women and gays.

And plus, Romney can't even spell "America" right. But if Bush taught me anything, it's that the anti-intellectual Republican Party loves ignorant illiterates, due to their fear of knowledge.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Sorry, but I'm the only one allowed to use slightly flawed analogies. Coke =/= Pepsi. They taste completely different.

A better comparison would have been arguing between Coke and Coke Zero.

Not really suprised that he dropped out/ lost. I'll agree that he has some very loyal followers (Fanatical, and rabid, followers.) but thats his extent. He has heavy appeal with a specific group of people, but little appeal with almost every other group.

He hasn't dropped out, nor has he lost (at least not yet).

And what I meant by that analogy is that the difference between Romney and Obama is marginal, if any. He may want to see taxes and spending somewhat lower than Obama does, but he's still much closer to Obama in his politics than he is true conservatives like Ron Paul or neoconservatives like Rick Santorum. That's why he has my least favorite candidate. I predict a repeat of McCain 2008 with Romney.

Ron Paul is done. It'll be Romney. And, by the way, there is a difference between Romney and Obama. Many, in fact.

Unlike Obama, Romney will start a nuclear war.
Unlike Obama, Romney will continue the war on women and gays.

And plus, Romney can't even spell "America" right. But if Bush taught me anything, it's that the anti-intellectual Republican Party loves ignorant illiterates, due to their fear of knowledge.

Romney raised funds with Planned Parenthood and personally sanctified and performed same-sex marriages as MA Governor.

He portrayed himself as pro-life and anti-LGBT to pander to the evangelical wing of the GOP. You heard him say that he'll make like an Etch-A-Sketch and move away from those positions in the general election, right?

Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2012
Misleading title is misleading.

Ron Paul HAS NOT suspended his campaign. He is still actively seeking the Republican Presidential nomination by gaming the delegate selection process.

Unfortunately I have to support this arguement, I don't like him tho.

Back