• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen An Altered Type Chart

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
For those who don't know, a Player's Guide popped up. In it, it revealed all of the Gym Leaders and, something that I honestly didn't expect, an alteration to the type chart! The guide says that Bug is no longer "not very effective" to Ghost, but is now neutral. This leaves things like Spiritomb and Sableye with a weakness. Now, this could be a typo, so be aware of that.

tumblrm5p7xnzctz1qdm0y0.png

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
Of course its a typo.

Don't you see Ice is still utter garbage defensively?
That would be where the changes would start.
Besides I dont have my hopes up for them changing this between generations, let alone in the middle of one...

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
If anything, Poison would be the one getting a buff. Being Super Effective to Water or something.

I mean, they have changed the type chart before, with the transition to GSC (Poison being nerfed and the addition to Steel and Dark). Maybe they thought that Ghost was too powerful or Bug was too weak? Though, this does make stuff like VoltTurn much more difficult to stop (Golurk being a Pokemon that can't resist the combo anymore).

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2013
Changing the type chart sure would be nice, but... Yeah, there are far worse glaring flaws in the current system that would logically be balanced before anything else, and those weren't reported. This is just a typo.

GAMEFREAK might alter the chart next gen, but they'd do it at the start of a new generation, I'd wager. Man... hard to imagine another 100+ Pokemon next time...

Like has been mentioned: Ice is stupidly weak defensively, Poison is stupidly weak offensively, Dragon is almost too overwhelming offensively and some of the choices just don't make any kind of sense, like a lot of the properties of Steel (weak to Fighting and Ground of all things?).

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I saw comments about Ice and Poison, granted the type itself sucks, but the moves for both those types are pretty common in competitive teams. Although the type and Pokemon with those types are usually pathetically weak, they really don't need major boosts as they already counter a few of the more devastating types.

Ice is the end all beat all trump to Dragon Pokemon. There is only 1 Non-Legendary Dragon Pokemon that isn't weak to Ice types and that's Kingdra who's stats aren't all that great.

Now the original post said something that COULD have lead to Bug and Ghost's relationship to change. Sableye and Spiritomb are annoying when hacked, not that they aren't annoying on their own. Giving the ONLY type combination in existence without a weakness, a weakness is a good thing.

Other than that Bug is also one of the weaker types with even less effective attack moves than Poison or Ice, and really other than a small handful, Bug types aren't used that often. Pokemon or attack wise.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
If this is true and not a typo than the Electross line is the only one without weaknesses left.
At least they upped Bug a little, now to fix Ice up.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2013
While Ice-type attacks are extremely common (and for good reason), Ice-type Pokemon themselves are usually underwhelming and not seen often - too many glaring weaknesses to common attack types, no resistances to speak of to aid the team. That's what I'm talking about. Of course Ice is great offensively, it just feels wrong that the Pokemon with that namesake are so often forsaken in lieu of Water-types! Giving Ice even one more resistance would help a lot.

Poison-types are fine defensively, but offensively they could use a boost. For instance, if Steel-types retained their immunity to the Poison status ailment but took neutral damage from Poison attacks, that would help a lot. The only things that use Poison-type attacks are Poison-types that have a good coverage move that can hit most Steel-types, since no one likes to waste a turn on an already bad attack if a common type can switch in on it for free.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2013
That wouldn't help Ice-type Pokemon at all, really.

Anyway, yes, if this supposed change is true then I can only assume it was done to reign in Spiritomb & Sableye.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
now this reminds me of certain hack/s that have dark/ghost pkmn with wonder guard ability...
if only they have done this earlier.

Years
Something tells me that this altered type chart is a typo.

I'm hoping this is false cos if it were real then it would make Spiritomb and Sableye lose their no weaknesses status.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
Why give away the gimmicks they are known for?

Besides why would they change actual game mechanics on the basis of what goes on when cheaters battle? Cheaters shouldnt even be in the equation, except getting rid of them.
It would be like giving up and telling us there is nothing wrong with cheating.

And EVEN IF they did that, which is not the case, they would have to change more than just that to prevent it from happening ever again.

And as iTeruri points out below, if they wanted to fix Wonder Guard, they wouldn't go mess with the type chart instead of Wonder Guard itself.

I saw comments about Ice and Poison, granted the type itself sucks, but the moves for both those types are pretty common in competitive teams. Although the type and Pokemon with those types are usually pathetically weak, they really don't need major boosts as they already counter a few of the more devastating types.

Ice is the end all beat all trump to Dragon Pokemon. There is only 1 Non-Legendary Dragon Pokemon that isn't weak to Ice types and that's Kingdra who's stats aren't all that great.

Now the original post said something that COULD have lead to Bug and Ghost's relationship to change. Sableye and Spiritomb are annoying when hacked, not that they aren't annoying on their own. Giving the ONLY type combination in existence without a weakness, a weakness is a good thing.

Other than that Bug is also one of the weaker types with even less effective attack moves than Poison or Ice, and really other than a small handful, Bug types aren't used that often. Pokemon or attack wise.

No one is talking about Ice offensively.

You cant excuse crappy defense with great offense when it comes to types.
Offense is only related to the pokemon itself by STAB, whereas defense is completely fixed.

-Anyone can use an Ice move.
-Ice pokemon suck.
=>Ice needs a defensive buff.

You cannot compare the offensive and defensive aspects of types directly, because one is optional while the other is inherent.

I mean seriously, it has 4 weaknesses (including Fight and Rock of all things) and ONE resistance.

Anyways, heres how I would fix the chart to make it more balanced:
To improve Ice defensively I would give it several resistances, two gamechanging and one simple:
-Ground (that would be one drastic buff. With this, bulky Ice pokes like Cloyster and Glaceon are not a cruel useless joke, but actually viable candidates to switch into earthquakes and fight back!)
-Dragon (nothing bar Steel stops this type, so Ice would make dragons think twice, like everyone else.)
-Water (it would make an interesting second both way resist situation like Bug/Fight)

Then I would cripple Steel a bit by giving it another weakness:
-Electric (at the same time making this fella offensively almost as important as Rock/Fight/Ground)(lol Skarmory would then share its brothers quad weakness. Also Empoleon)

Next of course making Poison not a waste of moveslots, by making it SE on:
-Normal (this one is to good defensively for the "default" type anyways and its kind of a no-brainer)
-Dark (they can deal with it (except for the Grass ones...))

Buff Rock slightly:
-Rock (it should resist its own Stealth Rock right? besides I nerfed the other super offense Ground too.)

Get rid of some stuff Grass sucks against:
-Flying
-Bug
(its just painful with alll those resistances. Just because its weak to them doesnt mean it has to suck against them)

Give Psy something else to kill:
-Ghost (both ways weakness, hell yea.)
(with its 2 immunities its still better than everything bar Steel)
I would even get rid of one of Ghosts resistances:
-Poison neutral against Ghost

With that, the field would be way more even.
The only thing left is Steel being ridiculously superior. I don't see a way to fix that though.

I got that in a picture:
more_balance_by_saiph_charon-d3e0630.png

So even after all that theorizing and balancing, I would choose to remove the Poison resistance, NOT THE BUG one, simply because Poison can be completely nulified by one type.

==>Bug neutral against Ghost would be unecessary. And not even the most reasonable way to give Spiritomb a weakness....if that was even an issue to begin with.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yeah um, my question is who even picks up on this stuff, lool. Like seriously you'd have to be just looking for a mistake here which would get kinda boring.

I don't really care if it's a typo or not, since it'd be a big change, but I'd get used to it. Might make Volcarona more overpowered tho.

iTeruri

iAm
Years
Probably just an error in the guide. If they changed it to counter Spiritombs and Sableye's with Wonder Guard, they should've changed Wonder Guard to only work for Pokémon with 1 base HP. Actually, they should've done that in the first place. xD

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
Yeah um, my question is who even picks up on this stuff, lool. Like seriously you'd have to be just looking for a mistake here which would get kinda boring.
Not really. It's not difficult to inadvertently notice that the bug type is not listed as only dealing x1/2 damage against the ghost type.

As mentioned, the only real problem caused by this is that Spiritomb and Sableye would no longer have no weaknesses.

The likelihood of this is that it's a typo. I remember in my G/S strategy guide they'd mixed up Espeon's and Umbreon's evolution methods, listing Espeon as happiness during nighttime and Umbreon as happiness during daytime.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
It's obvious this is a typo, changing the type mid generation would ruin all compatibility with Black and White, and the games are compatible with Black and White, so yeah, misprint.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
It proably is a typo as Solar said it'll ruin the compability for battles between the two pairs.
Seriously who ever prints these guides (Nintendo?) should double check for errors...

Years
You could always you know, hit Sableye or Spiritomb with a powerful stab and kill them that way. Plus both rock Will-o-Wisp making most Bug attackers useless, aside from Heracross & Volcarona. Type neutrality is not a weakness, especially to a type of Pokemon very weak to status & stall.

Not really a big deal, and not the first time they've altered Bug's type effectiveness.

Back