• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

He seems pretty cool. I'd talk to him, but...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Of course this happens in real life, but...

Are there any members here that you think are cool and want to get to know, but are too scared (or something else) to start talking to them? How do you feel about that? Do you think it makes sense to be intimidated to some degree to start a conversation with someone on the internet? Are you worried about how they'll respond to you? What makes you find someone interesting enough to feel that way about? Other questions related to the topic here.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
There used to be but not so much anymore. A few people I can feel intimidated but it's not really that they're too cool to get to know. The change only happened recently though, as really all the people that I thought were cool but were too intimidated to talk to I ended up in contact with in some way so it's just that I don't have anyone left like that.

I think it makes sense, though. PC is a social group just like any other. If you're not great at interaction, and mess up a conversation with a "cool" person, there's always the worry that they'd go on to tell other people that you're awkward or not worth talking to or it would cause awkwardness among mutual friends. A conversation online in a place like PC, a social network type of site, is very similar to real life conversations with people in your social circles.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Definitely!! Haha!
Actually, I was intimidated by Captain Fabio back in his more trolly-days.. when he was Alinthea. Though we were aquaintances at the time but felt intimidated by him nonetheless. Obviously I got over that since I am dating him now but.. hahaha!

Oh and Morkula.. oh man I kept hearing he was a nice guy but he had always been super blunt with me in the past.. so yeah, I was intimidated because I just didn't want to make the wrong impression. Then I actually got a chance to chat one on one for a while and he really is a lovely guy so.. that's the conclusion of that story.

.. I think that's about it hahaha. If there's someone I want to get to know, I'll just chat with them. Then it's up to them if they wanna keep chatting or whatever,

#isthenumbersign
Years
I'm not intimidated per se, it's just that it can be awkward sending someone that first message and waiting for a response. I guess it's pretty much the same in life, after that first convo, things usually go smoother. But I feel, being a newer member, it does make sense to feel intimidated. People who've been around are used to talking to others who have been around and I guess it can be scary.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Well it might be kind of awkward to the other person if they see some random message saying "hi what's up?!"
Well, it would probably differ from person to person. As of me, I'm kind of anti-social irl but real friendly and nice if you get to know me :) ( If you're an ass to me, I can turn into your biggest nightmare tho )
But on PC, we ALL got something in common "POKEMON". So that's already a good way for us to start talking to each other :)

If someone messaged me here saying they wanna be pals or something, I would gladly be their friend if they're nice. :)

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I always like making new friends on PC whenever I get the opportunity, or when I feel like it's a good timing. I'm usually not shy about sending the first message to an unknown member. I usually take note on how that person behaves with other members before deciding to start a conversation though, so the chances of it turning awkward is quite small (I think :P). I'm actually quite a shy and introverted person in real life, but on social sites such as PC, I'm quite the opposite. I'm quite open to random people leaving me a random friendly VM, so feel free to be my friend. :3 Let's chat up a storm!

Last edited:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Forum-wise, I'm the type of person who gets super shy and hides behind her shell because I'm just too dang scared to talk! But that was back when I was new. Today, not really...but there's still a few people out there that I'd love to talk to...but I get nervous as to what they'll respond. I'm also worried about how they'll judge about me. ;x

In real life, it's the same...basically. But I warm up when I feel comfortable towards the person talking to me, so once I get to know the person, I feel better and not have to worry about myself xD

Years
I'm always a bit scared when VMing a random person, as I never know how they'll react. That being said, I do it anyway because they seem cool and I want to get to know them. If they don't respond it makes me a bit sad/makes me feel like they don't like me/causes me to find them a bit rude. The last one is because I always try to respond. I know that it's a bit unfair of a judgment, but that's just how they come off to me, especially if all they had to do was say "thanks." :/ So, I try to distance myself a bit and try to make sure I don't annoy them or whatever. I think it makes sense to be wary when talking to someone, as first impressions on the internet seem to be really important, and some of the people that you talk to can ban from the site lol. I do worry a bit that they won't find me funny, or are ONLY responding to be nice, so again, I try to be careful with my reply.

I find someone interesting if they are funny, smart and nice. And because they seem so awesome, I want to talk to them so we can have awesome conversations together! :D

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Online, I'm a pretty quiet girl. I'm shy towards meeting new people on the net. I'm scared of VMing someone. I'm not quite sure why, but that's that.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Like some have said, the first message is always the most difficult because you're not sure how to approach that person. How will they respond? Do they take kind to this particular subject? Do they like talking about themselves at all? What if they don't like me? What if they ignore me? Especially if said person is someone who is obviously popular/everyone knows them or is a staff member and you hear others talking of them but know absolutely nothing about them so starting a conversation really is dangerous territory.

Never scared of doing it though. Why should I be? It's the internet. :I

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I used to be very easily intimidated 'round these parts. There were so many members I was really scared to talk to - Livewire was one of them, I remember (though his username was Live_Wire466 at the time, just a little history lesson for you kiddies who weren't around) - and just made a fool of myself in their presence because I was so scared of making a fool of myself :P

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. That's why if someone thinks I'm cool and wants to talk to me (you should btw, I'm pretty freakin' sweet) I try to put them at ease, because I'm not going to go talking about them to my friends (at least not negatively!) and I'm not going to shun or ignore them. Nobody cool did that to me when I was a nervous little hatchling and I wouldn't do it to anybody else.

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
Definitely, I want to talk to a lot of people, just can't get the nerve to talk to them, and extremely shy. I feel absolutely horrible about it, I feel like its a straight stab to my rear. I want to do this, but my inner instincts aren't allowing me to do it. I get really, really scared that they won't like me. I really want to learn. It's a feeling that hits me so hard, and kind of hurts me inside.

I... really want to learn. If you want to talk, just leave me a VM, always welcome to talk.

Years
This doesn't really happen to me anymore. I used to be shy IRL though but I don't think I've ever been shy on forums. I might not have been outgoing or anything but I don't think I was ever shy or afraid of people on the internet. I mean let's face it. I'm PC's most powerful member, why should I fear anyone on here?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Never really happens to me either. If there's someone I'd like to talk to I usually just go for it! I've met so many interesting people here that sometimes I have too many to keep up with. I like to see people with common interests though, which is rare for me. There's only a few on PC who share my totally nerdy medieval gaming and show interests, despite how popular things like Game of Thrones and Skyrim are.

There's been a few people I'm really happy I've spoken to. It's really nice to learn about other PC members on a one to one level, rather than reading their posts. And while I do enjoy reading posts, I connect most when I speak to them. There have been many members I'd have liked to meet in real life and luckily I've met a few awesome people, suh as Mr. Cat Dog, Drakow and Counterfeit. Genuinely some of the nicest people I've ever met anywhere and I'm glad we took the initiative to see each other.

But overall on the rare occurrence that I really want to talk to someone I've never met, I just go for it. Some of the best conversations I've had have come from people I've met on PC.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
i'm not very talktive with people i just met..not because i don't want to talk but because i don't find much to say...whenever anybody starts a conversation i just talk.

i don't fear people reactions i just do what comes to my mind without thinking about the reaction tbh!

i remember first time i talked to Ven...i talked like i knew him before..he felt weird and thought i was just a spambot ... asked lots of questions back then so can't blame him! xD

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I'm easily intimidated by people who uses fancy wordings in their posts thus I end up trying to avoid places wherein they post the most. I've had the chance to get to know a few of those people back in the irc and frankly, they really aren't as intimidating as I thought they were.

von Weltschmerz

the first born unicorn
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
I've not been around long enough to formulate such desires. But from what I have gathered... the relative Oligarchy of P.C. has developed to be quite intimidating.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Very disappointed to not see my username mentioned once ://

When I first came to PC, Luke and (although I hate admitting this nowadays) used to scare the living crap out of me, it certainly didn't help that for over two years they both despised me, lol. I wasn't the most amazing member way back in my early days, oh no, not good ol' Harley. But eventually my charming personality shone through and now I'm paired to Luke and he is one of my bestest friends ever <3 There are many people who I think are cool and I want to know more, but the reason I don't reach out to them is not that I'm scared of them, but what the hell would I even say to them? "Hi! You're cool! Let's talk! Hi!" That's not how it works for me, sadly.

Back