• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen NU Matchup: Gurdurr vs Throh

Who's the better fighter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
533.gif
538.gif

Welcome to this week's weekly poll! It did say Rainbow Arcanine would be doing it this week, but I switched accounts at the last minute. Also, I'd like to thank WeightyWillBill or Weighty for helping to choose out this week's Pokemon. Without further ado let's see who we have.

This week will be Throh vs Gurdurr and when voting I want you to remember to take some things in consideration. Who is a better competitive battler? Who's better in-game wise? Which Pokemon in your opinion had a better design? Better movepool range? Stats? There are many things to consider when posting and also please provide reasons, rather just than a post like "I vote for Gurdurr! etc.", I'd rather you avoid those sort of things.

Post your opinion and don't forget to vote! :3

Last edited by a moderator:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
For me I'm going with Gurdurr! I loved using Gurdurr competitively (but these days Mushy is way too common) and Throh is more stall-orientated and I am not a staller... :(

Years
I'm probably picking Gurdurr, cos it evolves into one of the very strong Fighting-types out there, not to mention how beastly of an Attack stat this thing has for only a middle-stage Fighting-type. Those Focus Punches, Superpowers and Hammer Arms can hit really hard on anything not resistant to Fighting.

Both do get a neat movepool, but I did have fun using a Gurdurr for the Castelia City part in my Black playthrough (mine was a female lol) but Throh does have some neat stats for something that doesn't evolve. Both do come in handy when fighting Lenora. Gurdurr does have far superior abilities though, Sheer Force can make DynamicPunch hit for a lot.

Although Gurdurr's beastly Attack won it out for me in the end.

Years
I like throh as the fact is I don't haveo t evvovlve it. Circle throw. THey just power up the fighting types by adding stealth rock to it. They also gave the same kinds of moves to each one. I like Throh more, and aJI want a tema that won't have to evolve. So it's fast to beat the game with a high level. Throh and Buffalant as well as Grumpig should shine on my team.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
DEFinitely Throh. Bulk Up + Rest + Chesto + Circle Throw= epic.
Throw also gets a pretty neat movepool, what with Storm Throw being always critical and breaking through any raised defenses. Its bulk is what really turned me onto it. Being able to survive so many hits is awesome while boosting itself with Bulk Up, and then he can recover all of it with Rest, and with Chesto he wakes up immediately, and then Circle Throw comes in to phaze anything with a good deal of damage done thanks to all of the Bulk Ups.

Years
I'm going with Gurdurr since it's very useful with it's bulk up set and access to mach punch. They both suffer severely because of Musharna's presence but don't be fooled by that kids, because Gurdurr is great.

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
Years
I picked Gurdurr because of it's diverse movepool and cos of him being a bit more popular than Throh IMO. Also Life Orbed/choice banded Gurdurr is deadly and menacing, again imo. Throh on the other hand is not bad even though he has slightly better stats than Gurdurr, I still wouldn't use him. I just like Gurdurr a whole lot better, design wise too.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Between the two, I prefer Throh, just because I like purpose-built pokemon. Gurdurr's got great stats and a nice movepool, but it's just a fighter, really. A good one, certainly, but there's just nothing really special about it. Throh though has that perfectly appropriate combination of great bulk and low speed. It's designed to be able to tank hits, and since it's slow, it has pretty much no choice but to do that (outside of a Trick Room), but that's okay because it's got the bulk to do it. I just like the way it all fits together into a particular type of fighter with particular traits rather than just... a fighter. Even if a good one.

Cid

Years
I'm gonna have to go with Gurdurr. Throh was a cool concept and all, but Gurdurr's Bulk Up set just trumps Throh's. What with Eviolite, Mach Punch (priority on a slow guy that can still hit like a truck is much more useful than you'd think) and Ice Punch, just slap a Skuntank to get rid of the Psychic-types, rid of other bulky counters and set-up your way through the old checks. I've never actually used Throh but I found it really easy to kill despite the bulk, what with Braviary, Swellow and Gardevoir running about the tier. And if you're going for bulk, I'd really rather go with the Eviolite guy, because I find tanking with an offensive presence from the get-go much more appealing than phazing as extra goodies.

I might use Throh in the future, but for now I think it's outclassed. Sadly.

Sirfetch’d

I am gonna vote for Gurdurr. He is one of the most popular NU Pokemon and does a great job at what he does. While Throh is certainly a nice Pokemon I just cannot seem to find as much use for him. Partly because his brother Sawk overshadows him.

600th post!

Back