• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Did you know about Purugly?

CptSwaggerPants

Hi, I'm John Wayne..JK, I CAMP
Years
Did you know that Purugly is able to circle the globe in sixteen hours, traveling roughly 1,556 mph, or about three times the speed of an average airplane? Max speed 355. Dragonite's max speed: 284.

432.svg

I was looking to add Purugly to my team and I noticed it's max speed was higher than my Hydreigon and my Zoroark and that just didn't make sense to me. I researched and found it was also faster than Dragonite and Garchomp which, in the Pokedex, states clearly that both are as fast as airplanes and a jet. So, in turn, that is proof that Purugly here travels faster than a jet and could possibly run (it can't fly) around the world three times in sixteen hours.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
One of those random facts that we love about Pokemon

StinkomanFan

The Thing with Questionable Taste
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 3, 2015
Purugly doesn't move much, but when it does it breaks the sound barrier.
Now I'm just imagining someone with a can opener opening some Pokefood and Purugly suddenly appearing before his very eyes from next room.

Dark_Illusion

Psychic Trainer
Years
I dont know if anyone else has had this thought come across their mind, but I think of some random things over a wide variety of subjects. So here is my thought and question:

Purugly can travel faster than a jet, however cannot fly. So, in order to build these speeds, it would need traction. Great. Now, whats the turning part like? Can it snap a 90 degree left or right? If it cant turn while running at these great speeds, what happens to the poor souls who get in its way? Right Place, Wrong Time scenario?

StinkomanFan

The Thing with Questionable Taste
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 3, 2015
Puruglies kill more people than Scythers, Voltorbs, and Bidooves combined.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Thanks for giving me another great reason to love Purugly more than ever. Its already one of my top 5 favorite Sinnoh Pokemon (in my opinion top 3 cutest in Sinnoh too).

It would be great if it could swim as fast too.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That's pretty neat! I'm going to move this over the Pokemon General though, since this is about Purugly the Pokemon, and not totally relevant to the games themselves. :) This does make it a lot cooler though haha.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Well... speed is the only thing Purugly's good at...
Attack is average but that's pretty much all... as a normal type, it won't get that many good STABs and with lame defensive stats as it has... it won't last long...
But the trivia is interesting... :D
I do wonder how would Purugly actually run over the globe as it kinda cannot run through water unless it's Jesus' Purugly.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
When I first went up agains Mars' Purugly in D/P, I was baffled on how a 100+ lb. Pokémon could have base 112 Speed. But still, I think Speed in battle and speed outside of battle are different things (in the games at least).

But still, that didn't convince me to put Purugly on my teams. Scolipede is bigger than Purugly and Dragonite and it's faster than the latter and just as fast as the former.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
It's worth bearing in mind that the actual speed statistic more accurately describes a monster's effective agility in combat. I doubt a Purugly can actually move that quickly. Consider for instance that Pidgeot's maximum possible speed stat is a disproportionately lower value of 309 in spite of it being stated to be capable of flying at practically the same speed as 1556mph (≈ mach 2). Still, it stands to reason that Purugly would be more agile than its bulk suggests, due to its low centre of mass and widely-spread legs.

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
It's worth bearing in mind that the actual speed statistic more accurately describes a monster's effective agility in combat. I doubt a Purugly can actually move that quickly. Consider for instance that Pidgeot's maximum possible speed stat is a disproportionately lower value of 309 in spite of it being stated to be capable of flying at practically the same speed as 1556mph (≈ mach 2). Still, it stands to reason that Purugly would be more agile than its bulk suggests, due to its low centre of mass and widely-spread legs.
I don't really think that laws of physics can be applied to Pokemon...

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I don't really think that laws of physics can be applied to Pokemon...
No physics in that reply, unless you refer to the last sentence. I simply stated how the speed stat is not a useful tool for comparing monsters' 'top speeds'.

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
Years
I was raising an eyebrow when I saw the topic title, lol.

I'm actually using a Purugly on my team now! He's the fastest thing on my team other than my Typhlosion... I'm rather impressed! You know what they say though, looks can be deceiving. He hits decently hard and this is the first real use of Super Fang I've had in a really long time.

But anyway, yeah, that's a pretty cool thought! Kind of terrifying, too. XD

27thColt

The Collector
Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2023
this just means that Game Freak doesn't think when they put down stats

Back