• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gay adoption - why are homosexuals considered unworthy parents?

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
The title says it all - why do people continue to argue against the adoption of children to homosexual couples? In what way does being homosexual make you unworthy to adopt and raise a child? In what way does being heterosexual make you more worthy to adopt and raise a child? Why does the sexuality of the parent make a difference in raising a child? Why is it wrong for children to be exposed to heterosexual AND homosexual people early in life?

snake17

Back after a loooong break. :D
Years
It's a social stigma risen from the fact that gay couple can't breed.

Don't get me wrong, though, personally I am not against gay adoption.

^ This is pretty much it. I don't understand why people think gay couples, but it seems to just be what people believe. I think that gays adopting is beneficial because then kids without a home would get one.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 3, 2016
2 big reasons. Just so you know, I don't believe in these and I'm totally for gay adoption.

1) People who don't believe in gay marriage think it's untraditional just like the marriage and just think that raising kids is a heterosexual job. Which I don't understand cause a lot of parents are divorced. At least a gay couple provides more financial stabilitity than a single parent.

2) They think that it would be bad for the kid. They could potentially get teased a lot for having 2 dads. And it'd be hard to explain when school always asks stuff based off male and female. It'd be tough for a kid to get through school like that. But I'd rather have that than to be miserable at a foster home.

Years
Because some people hate and are afraid of gay people. They come up with lots of explanations and reasons, but the bottom line is they don't like gay people.

I mean, we all know that the arguments are all full of holes, like so:

Argument: Gay people can't have children of their own.
Counter: Gay people are as fertile as straight people, they just don't often use that fertility in the course of their lives, thought they may have children from previous relationships (if they're bi, or if they're gay and were in the closet, etc.)

Argument: Children need a mother and a father.
Counter: Lots of children are raised by one parent, by older siblings, by grandparents or other extended family, or otherwise in environments without a male or female guardian. There is also no credible evidence that says that having a male and female guardian is better for children. Of course, a child may be picked on if they have only one parent, or gay parents, and that may cause them some difficulties, but the fault and solution to that lie in the people discriminating against them.

And so on. It's hate. Hate and an unwillingness to see the flaws in their arguments.

stp

ShootThePuck
Years
There's a certain social stigma that something that isn't the norm is going to be easily looked down upon, in this case marriage. I'll admit, I still turn my head when I see a gay couple publicly, just because I am not used to it. I was in New York a few days ago and saw two gay couples, one holding hands and one kissing, and I still looked for a split second. Not out of hate or disgust, but merely because I don't see it often and therefore I'm curious about it.

There are very cruel people in this world, and with schools filled with kids who think they're better than everyone else and don't understand the difference between picking on someone out of friendship or just being a dick, people are afraid a child with a gay couple as parents would get bullied immensely. I wouldn't be surprised, either; there are some horrible kids in this world that I'm sure would do it.

This isn't something that can be rushed into, either. Most if not all heavily practiced religions are against gays, and the social norm is not that a child has gay parents. This is a process that needs to be slowly introduced. I honestly think the best step is for people to grow more accustomed to gays in general and for towns and cities to grow more accustomed. I totally believe that in a few decades gay marriages that adopt will be looked at totally different. However, the human mind is rigid and doesn't easily welcome change. It's narrow-minded. The mind likes to get comfortable with one thing and not have to adapt at a split second. It's why slavery, prejudice, and racism (prevelance) lasted as long as did. It's very hard to talk someone out of a mindset that's been passed down for 200+ years, and a lot harder to do with a mindset that been passed down for 2000+ years that might have ties to religion and other things.

It's like teaching a dog that peeing in the house is wrong and then suddenly changing your mind 6 months later. The dog is going to have a tough time adjusting, but it will eventually get used to it.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
IMO they are just normal people, seriously if 2 men or 2 women cannot raise a child then should that mean that 1 man/women cannot raise a child since there is only one of them, plus atleast these children have a person to call dad or mom and they arent living in one of those temporary homes for the rest of their lives.

cbd98

A bouquet of oopsie dasies
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2021
My uncle is gay, and has adopted two kids with his partner, both of which have been growing up perfectly fine. Imo, if we're all created equal, the love we give to each other and our kids would be equal. What determines your value as parents isn't your ability to have a child, it's your ability to raise a child.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Kids are wonderful creatures because they're simultaneously the most caring beings on the planet while being able to shrug literally anything off with a good enough explanation. Kids will ask lots of questions when they grow older and it's the responsibility of the parents to answer these questions in ways that show the kids that all sorts of lifestyles are acceptable. Parents must be ready to answer any questions their kid has about straight couples, gay couples, single parents, polygamy, legal guardians, and any other type of living situation. I'm ready for those inevitable "Why do you and mommy live in different places?" questions from my daughter, and I'm confident that I can explain it in a way that will satisfy her.

Kids will learn anything you teach them. I could teach my daughter that there's an alligator living in the bathtub drain, but I choose not to because that would give her a fear of all bathtub drains. In a similar manner, some parents choose to teach their kids that gay people are evil and those kids don't know any better so they grow up believing it.

Years
Boys need father/male role models. So one raised by gay parents will probably grow up healthy and manly and all. Lesbian parents though... hmmm... I wonder how that would work out.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Well I've heard someone say this and it very nicely wraps how I feel about the subject:
"Adoption requires a lot of planning and work for it to work out. The children raised by a gay couple are never unwanted, never uncalled for, never accidents."

So I'd rather a kid be living with a gay couple that loves them than born into a straight couple that never wanted them. I've met kids raised by gay couples, both genders, and they're happy. I mean, sure, it's not all butterflies and roses but children never are haha

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
Because historically the heterosexual nuclear family was the dominant family type and there are people who only consider such to be 'normal'

It's kinda interesting to note how some people argue that boys need a male adult role model in order be raised well. (as opposed to being brought up in a single parent family - that usually being the mother) So it would be perfect if a boy could also be brought up in a gay household.

I think homosexual couples are more than capable enough to raise a child. Possibly better than a heterosexual relationship since there aren't really any gender roles meaning tasks are likely to be shared thus teaching their children that actually either gender are just as capable as the other in doing a task.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 5, 2013
I mainly think it's because they think the adopted children will have their sexuality influenced. But, aren't you still influenced no matter what your parents' sexual orientation?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I mainly think it's because they think the adopted children will have their sexuality influenced. But, aren't you still influenced no matter what your parents' sexual orientation?

^ This, for the most part. Since people still think being gay is a choice rather than by genes, they fear the kids will become gay if raised by a gay couple, and if it continues, there will be more gays than straight people. To be fair, I actually like to see this happen, for it may help stabilize the human population from growing rapidly, since homosexuals cannot breed.

Years
LOL @ breed. Sexuality is a good part social as well as genetic though, and we shouldn't forget that. I don't think we can deny that having homosexual parents will be able to influence that.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
If I had to side with the opponent's of gay adoption, I'd concisely state that children, historically, and to this day, need a female and male parental figure. Differences in the parental style, perspectives, etc. that come with being different genders being beneficial to a growing child does make sense to me.

However. It is proven that same sex couples can effectively (for lack of a better term) raise children. But more importantly, the absence of a gender's influence doesn't for one, occur in all situations of gay parenting, and two, shouldn't ultimately play a role in how a child grows up as long as they have a steady influence growing up.

I think the same can be argued for single-parent adoptions. There are single parents extremely qualified to adopt, and as long as the influence (and materials) they bring to the table is at that certain level, then why not?

It's hard to explain how I feel about the topic, but yes I do support gay adoption. I can think of a couple decent reasons as to why a m/f parental system might prove more "effective", but ultimately, these reasons become irrelevant in the grand scheme of raising a child to what is an undefinable, "standard".

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
Years
People are against homosexual couples adopting because society has brainwashed them into thinking that way.

It's an old way of thinking, probably influenced greatly by religion, and most religions I know of seem to be against anything that isn't heterosexual.

I don't allow society or religion to dictate what I believe. I say "let people do what they want as long as it doesn't cause harm, loss or damage to people or property".

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
If we ban gay adoption, we might as well make single parents illegal and divorce when both people are parents to a child a felony.

No matter what sexual preference you are, you should be allowed to have children (even non-biological ones) if you have the skills and management to raise one.

Years
Many gay couples should not be parents. However, many single parents, as well as heterosexual couples should not be parents.

Adoption is an important institution. Unplanned pregnancies and unwanted children are best taken care of by a permanent guardian rather than orphanages and the Foster Care System; this is clearly demonstrated by countless studies of child success rates, that is educational attainment and avoidance of law enforcement.

Adding in more competition in the pool of adoption applicants can only be a good thing, so long as all parties are judged equally. Background checks, income, mental health, among other factors should be judged, not the sexual orientation or genders of the parents. It might be the case that fewer same sex couples will be as qualified, surely fewer single parents will be as qualified as heterosexual couples and same sex couples given the lack of two wage earners as well as spousal support. However, depending upon the other factors, same sex parents as well as single parents may be more competitive, in that they would be more likely to provide emotional and financial support to a child than their counterparts, heterosexual couples. Though, each couple/single parent should be judge on the same factors, there may be certain children that match prospective adopters better than adopters that may seem more qualified. For instance, a couple with medical/pediatric/counseling/psychology/educational backgrounds that are willing to raise a child with learning disabilities might be more qualified than a couple that makes more money in a business related field that is also willing to care for a child with learning disabilities.

Therefore, adding more applicants, such as gay couples will increase competitiveness of the applicant pool as well as more options to match compatibility with the child's needs.

Back