• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] From ROM Hacking to RPG Maker

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2014
So i've had my fair share of ROM Hacking experience, not amazing, but i have a firm grasp with scripting, mapping and some of the (Not so compatible) tools with it.

My attention is turning to RPG Maker, and how compatible it is of making a Pokemon like game, with the same battle mechanics, and similar user interface. I've never actually touched RPG Maker, but can't imagine it would take long to get my head around.
Now i have done my research and i understand it is obviously is absolutely possible, i've seen Tilesets from Diamond and pearl in there, and custom tilesets.

Before i do dive head first into the fiery depths of analysis, for compatibility, what RPG Maker will be best to use? (I'm running windows 8) I've seen RPG Maker XP around youtube etc, but i thought i'd ask the community behind it before using it.

Also if anyone has some spare time, if i could be guided the way for some Tools, or guides for anything related to RPG Maker and pokemon?

Thank you!! xoxox

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
So i've had my fair share of ROM Hacking experience, not amazing, but i have a firm grasp with scripting, mapping and some of the (Not so compatible) tools with it.

My attention is turning to RPG Maker, and how compatible it is of making a Pokemon like game, with the same battle mechanics, and similar user interface. I've never actually touched RPG Maker, but can't imagine it would take long to get my head around.
Now i have done my research and i understand it is obviously is absolutely possible, i've seen Tilesets from Diamond and pearl in there, and custom tilesets.

Before i do dive head first into the fiery depths of analysis, for compatibility, what RPG Maker will be best to use? (I'm running windows 8) I've seen RPG Maker XP around youtube etc, but i thought i'd ask the community behind it before using it.

Also if anyone has some spare time, if i could be guided the way for some Tools, or guides for anything related to RPG Maker and pokemon?

Thank you!! xoxox
Almost all devs uses RPG Maker XP with the Essentials kit that has (almost) anything that a pokémon game should have. Even without the engine you can test all the several test maps downloading the Essentials Kit.

This thread has that you need, but it's a bit outdated.

This thread list some comparations between both.

This thread has several tips and links about how to make a game with Essentials.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
I come from the Rom-Hacking section from the beginning and I suggest you use RPG Maker XP, since it has a readily available starter kit that is regularly updated and widely supported.
It has a simple and great mapping engine as well and it was an easy transition from Rom-hacking IMO.

Before delving into Pokemon Essentials, though, I recommend trying to make a simple game using the base RPG Maker XP Engine, to learn the basics of how it works.

After that, I recommend checking out Atomic Reactor's Youtube-Series on how to make a Pokémon game using RMXP and Essentials. [Link]

Back