• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen New internal battery is running dry too fast

S-MAN

Banned
Years
Hello I am wondering if this has or is happening to anyone else.
I have been playing Ruby version for a very short while with a new CR 1616 battery and in about 2 week the battery went dry.
So I decided to try going with a different battery and got the CR 2025. This one died in less than a week and it was the Energizer brand.
One thing I have noticed with all of this is that the battery does get a little warm when installed so I know that means heat dissipation which means there is inefficiency with the power consumption. Could there be any logical explanation for this? Is there a right and wrong way for installing the batteries to make this occur? I don't use electrical tape to secure the battery, but when I put the battery between the contacts, it's in place and won't go anywhere. I highly doubt soldering with improve the power efficiency if that is the case I am dealing with. Need help please.. :(

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
Years
You need to use tape or solder, it will come loose otherwise
Also I have never heard of Ruby having internal battery, or having to replacement. Are you sure you don't have a forgery?

S-MAN

Banned
Years
Yes of course Ruby has an internal battery. It has a clock that needs to function {D:}I will go ahead and solder it to see if there's any improvements later tonight. I've wondered myself if it might be a bootleg. It's originally my cousin's game so I will inspect that as well. I'll update this post later.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I recommend using electrical tape, I feel like soldering the battery directly might be dangerous if you don't do it correctly.

Splitzblue

Pokemon Maniac & Fan Of The N.Y.C
Years
This has happened to me as well. It says on Bulbepedia that Berries are somewhat the cause. I'm say somewhat because it is not all 100% foolproof. The internal battery on the Game Boy Advance and it's SP version effect the Gen 3 main games, most likely Emerald since that's the best of the trio(and I just so happened to have the game) when there are too many Berries planted. I think what you should do is collect all the Berries and don't plant them all, but do plant one at a time. If not then find a better internal battery.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Yes of course Ruby has an internal battery. It has a clock that needs to function {D:}I will go ahead and solder it to see if there's any improvements later tonight. I've wondered myself if it might be a bootleg. It's originally my cousin's game so I will inspect that as well. I'll update this post later.

Out topic here, if you wanna determine whether yoyr Ruby is legit or not there are two ways: Check if the Aroma Lady near Mauville walks up to you through the ledge and challenges you. Go to Slateport City, head outside the pier, walk to the edge and check if there are 'messy' random tiles, instead of the usual sea tile.

As for Ruby with internal battery, I believe it has it. Sadly I'm not an expert on this subject, so I can't really help.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
Yeah I guess so, but at the same time, if you solder it, gotta unsolder it again next time it runs dry, then would resolder a new one, etc.

That's in a pretty long time, but electrical tape is gonna work just fine, and easier to replace down the line if/when you need to.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't recommend soldering it no matter how skilled you are with doing it. Use electrical tape to keep the battery down. Other tapes tend to come undone, causing the battery to move and then the game will think it's run dry. Plus when you have to replace it again in the future, you'll have to unsolder it...much easier to just remove tape.

As for berries causing the time thing, it's not really caused by them per se, but they are affected if the battery runs dry. They'll no longer grow.

S-MAN

Banned
Years
Sorry for the late update. I am baffled on what's causing this. I have soldered my battery the other day and when I checked the game the message was temporarily gone about the battery running dry. I waited until today to be sure and once again I am facing the battery being dry. I have also checked the battery and it indeed was running low. Now we need to figure out what's causing it to aggressively drain meh batteries. ~_~
I'm starting to branch out towards general electronic phenomena and see if there's any explanation. I still have to check if the game is legit tomorrow. I shall get to the bottom of this!

**Update**
I am looking into the possibility of the battery tabs or some component having too low resistance causing the heat which in turn.... faster drain.

Last edited:

S-MAN

Banned
Years
Posting my conclusion. So the game was legit. Since then I have purchased my own Ruby game and replaced the internal battery.
What I have done different is getting the proper battery with the leads to solder on correctly off of ebay... not the regular watch batteries
you find in retailers they might not be as good to use unless they carry the same kind of batteries with leads.
My experience with this approach was fine and had no problems. Growing berries like a skinny snorlax now.
Maybe how you install the retailer batteries affects the performance.. I think that is what caused my first 2 batteries to die so quickly.
My opinion is that getting them off a trusted seller on eBay or some other online retailer yields best results..
I don't have much to say about soldering: IF you're not responsible enough to take the precautions of protecting your eyes and watching where your hands and hot solder is going ask for help or don't bother. Pay attention to polarity of the battery and wash your hands after handling lead.

Back