• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Installing Fedora Core 3

DarkMew

Dark Sith Lord
Years
Hi, I got the ISOs for Fedora Core 3, how should I go about installing them on a Windows XP computer (keeping WinXP as well)?

TSS_Killer

The (6) Train BCCS Owner
Years
OK, since you are planning a dual-boot,here's what you should do.

First, grab a copy of partition magic(or you can just boot off of knoppix and use qtparted)

Next, resize your windows drive...imo give the ext3(Linux) partition AT LEAST 5 gigs(Trust me,you'll need the space),also make sure you make a partition for swap space(which is like the page file for windows),the rule of thumb there is make your swap partition at least double the size of your ram.

After that, insert the 1st FC3 cd and start the setup.

When it asks you what partition utility to use,go with disk druid...it will then show a list of partitions.

Double click on the Linux partition and set / as the mount point,and then click ok..(If you want,later on when I get home I'll show you how to edit fstab and mtab so you can access your windows partition from linux)

After that,just accept the default settings for GRUB, etc.

If you wish to do a workstation(default) install,it will take about 2.5 gigs of space.

Then...it installs.....reboot and follow the initial config screens and you should boot to GDM, which enables you to login,enter YOUR username (NOT root) and enter your password...then you should login to a GNOME session..

If you need to know how to customize various items (eg. window managers,themes,etc..feel free to ask me how,but...if you bombard me with requests,I will only take the ones I feel that are suitable)..

DarkMew

Dark Sith Lord
Years
Thanks, but I have a problem.
I don't know wheter I should've gotten the 64-bit version,
because when I go to setup, it says:
64-Bit: Yes (Intel EM64T)
I got a Pentium 4 with HT Technology 3.20 GHz.
Should I go with 64-bit???

Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2005
If it says 64-bit on the processer go with the 64bit linux if it doesnt then dont. Its pretty simple.

TSS_Killer

The (6) Train BCCS Owner
Years
mr_loonytik said:
tss killer its do not so difficult to install one iso>_> use alchohol 120%
http://cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/alcohol120.cfm

create a virtual drive search the iso on your hard drive put in vritual drive with the program and you can install :)

Actually, using a virtual drive doesn't really help you install linux(as you would need to reboot and boot off the cd,thus a virtual drive would be rendered useless...) and besides...a standard FC3 distro has 4 cds,not 1

Back