• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

^ | v Mirage Mirage Mirage v | ^ ( i need water please : )

Years
Heyo guys! Like title says we're talking about Mirage. Everyone has seen in cartoons or films that mirages are elaborate visions of tropical oases, complete with palm trees and ornate swimming pools. They spring up suddenly in the hot desert, and then disappear just as the sun-addled hero is about to dive in. This sort of illusion is complete fiction. XD But Mirage truly exists.

In hot areas, you see them along the highway all the time.

mirage-intro.jpg

In the most common type of mirage, an object appears to be reflected as if there were a pool of water on the ground. This phenomenon is caused by light refraction -- the bending of light beams. Light bends when it passes from one medium into another -- from air to water, for example, or even from colder air to warmer air. This may seem like a strange idea, but it's really very simple.

For example so it'll be more clearer...
Imagine guys that you're pushing a shopping cart across a parking lot. If you're exerting a constant force, the cart's speed depends on the medium it's traveling on -- in this case, the parking lot's paved surface. What happens when you push the shopping cart out of the parking lot, onto a grassy area? If you push it straight onto the grass, it will simply slow down. The grass medium offers more resistance, so it takes more energy to move the shopping cart.
Simple like that

XD your thoughts guys? Did you ever experienced this phenomenon yourself?

Years
Mirages are definitely a common sight around here in the summer months, especially before it rains and the sun is constantly shining.

Years
I see it constantly in the summer and sometimes even spring.

Fun fact, you can get mirages over cold water as well. They're not all induced by heat. There's a few different types of mirage actually.

Years
Fun fact, you can get mirages over cold water as well. They're not all induced by heat. There's a few different types of mirage actually.

That's right, in fact you can see some really interesting Fata Morganas near the poles. Warmer atmospheric ducts can form over the colder surface and cause the refractive index of the air you're looking through to get all kinds of funky. It's really no wonder sailors brought back tales of spectral fairy castles along the shore.

Years
Heat haze, a type of inferior mirage, is the most commonly observable mirage where I live. I see them almost every day in the summer.

It must be cool to see mirage everyday xD Do you ever stumble upon cold water mirage? ( :

Has anyone hear heard the theory that mirages were involved in the sinking of the Titanic?

No way! For real. I've seen some article in internet about this theory but always ignored that c:. If you want to shed some light about this GP you're free to do so xD. I'm sooo going to reading about this though c:

Years
It must be cool to see mirage everyday xD Do you ever stumble upon cold water mirage? ( :

No way! For real. I've seen some article in internet about this theory but always ignored that c:. If you want to shed some light about this GP you're free to do so xD. I'm sooo going to reading about this though c:

I don't know much about it myself, that's why I was asking xD

Years
I don't know much about it myself, that's why I was asking xD

Man i don't know that it was a huge thing when this theory came around 2012 but this is the best I've found and most sites and article said the reason was mirage called Foto morgana but still it was a theory....here.

what caused Titanic to collide with a huge, white iceberg on a completely clear, starlit night?

Her captain was not drunk, her watch officers were keeping a sharp lookout, and she was travelling as fast as was normal in clear weather, even in an ice region: at full speed. Her lookouts were scanning the horizon with their naked eyes, which is the best way to spot an iceberg at night

Source

Article is somewhat long and present many facts that it was a mirage that result in titanic's fall. It's up to you guys if you want to believe in this theory or not. xD

Back