• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adblock Plus...now sells ads!?

Years
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/09/adblock-plus-starts-selling-ads-but-only-acceptable-ones/

Okay, like what the fuck y'all. I'm baffled by this. Either they're just running low on money at a corporate level or just don't give a damn about their user base.

To sum up the article, Adblock Plus wants to begin to allow "whitelisted ads" which means that those ads will still show even with the default filter enabled.

Personally, I'm not a fan of this practice. Who would be, to be honest? I can't even imagine their popularity/usage to survive like this once it's implemented, because even in the slightest way, it's intrusive to a full browsing experience. Additionally, malware is still a large issue at hand with web advertisements and is the #1 reason why I block ads on sites that I do not support.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 6, 2020
Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose? That's just stupid...totally not a fan anymore

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Hi. Let me tell you all about the joys of uBlock. Uses less resources, is open source, and has no corporate overlords.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I'm also baffled by this, but like colours said... you can get an option to opt out of it. Not many people realize any of this. However, if it doesn't work... than I'll probably have to find another ad-blocker. :|

Years
Hi. Let me tell you all about the joys of uBlock. Uses less resources, is open source, and has no corporate overlords.
Definitely gonna give uBlock Origin a try and see how it is. So far it's pretty easy to use and has amazing reviews in the Chrome Extension store.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
gg, adblock plus. I mean obviously they could have been a bit short on spare change but this is pretty clearly a great way to kill of your userbase and I have no clue how they didn't see this coming. I'm using it for now but I'll probably switch over to uBlock in the next few days.

Years
Boooo! why I trusted you you damn app xD. Ahhh so much for ad blocking, I didn't heard about ublock so hell I'm trying that one. Other than ad block, I used ad vanish pro which is so good in removing ads from offline apps. C: So other than ublock which apps you guys used to remove ads?

Years
And that's how you kill a very good product. I've been using ABP since I first came in here but I've been noticing slowdown of my browser, tried uBlock since it says its efficient and more lightweight, and its true! I've never seen any slowdown.

ABP has thousands of not-so-tech-savvy users (aka grand/parents), and may not see that option.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Many ads may lurk malware even acceptable ones if ads didn't check for mischievous or dangerous website that advertised from. Of course, you have the option to allow or disallow it even it's a nitpicky from ad block creator

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
I don't see any real problems with this if this can persuade advertisers to make better ads that aren't horrendous traps ready to explode as soon as you load a web page ;/ If acceptable ads were anything like those on Reddit then I am fine with it.

Melody

Banned
Years
I do use ABP myself, and I have this option turned off. I also have EasyPrivacy list installed on ABP; as well as Privacy Badger, HTTPS Everywhere, Data Saver and SkyZip.

* Bold text - I strongly recommend these plugins for Chrome; can substitute ABP with uBlock Origin if you don't like the option of whitelisted ads even appearing. Keep in mind that in ABP this option is DEFAULT to ON. you need to go into extension options and turn it OFF (uncheck) it.

I especially recommend HTTPS Everywhere and Privacy Badger, as both will easily help ensure your connections stay secure and speed up pageloads as the Badger eats tracker scripts up.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I think ABP has good point and bad point if it comes to allowing whitelisted ads, this kinda reminds me of a certain adblocker that I used to install. The good thing is, this reinforces the advertiser dudes to make better ads, but the bad thing is that the reason why anyone wanted to install adblocker is because they don't want to see ads in the first place, not to mention worries of viruses, malwares and all.

Even though I'm using uBlock nowadays as Adblock Plus replacement (but that's because of memory managing stuffs), sometimes I'm wondering if Adblock Plus would survive if they used such methods, but I hope the ads in their whitelist is not intrusive kind.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
People still use Adblock Plus? I thought they stopped development a while ago.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Adblock Plus is still being a very active thing, yeah.

It is not news to me that ABP would now sell ads. In my opinion, they've got a very good point to. And "completely blocking ads", while it was the purpose it was originally designed for, was never the intended use of the product.

Back when they introduced the Acceptable Ads policy, much of the point of it was that if you could guarantee people that the ads would not consume much resources nor be intrusive nor pose risk for the computer, most people would not mind seeing them every once in a while. It is about the same principle most static billboard work with and thus the requirements for Acceptable Ads are pretty strict... but most importantly, the requirements led to the building of a model of what a "good" ad works and feels like.

Now they want to start selling ads, hopefully ones working via that principle. As it turns out, that is good for consumers who do want to see acceptable ads, as a business deal also involves accountability - the companies buying into the ads platform now have to fully follow the guidelines and procedures of the platform to produce an ad that the software considers unobstrusive. And for the companies, it also means a guarantee that their ad is not going to be blocked - basically, that they didn't "miss a spot" that could lead to their effort to advertise cleanly go to waste.

It might not be what the people who don't want any ads want, but for the people who are actually interested in what advertising on the internet has to be like, on either end of the "tube", this is the next evolution: a platform for making sure your ads actually get to your clients, who, let's remember, are not the people who don't want to see ads, but the people who do - without cost or harm to their experience otherwise.

In what regard to me, I'm sticking with µBlock origin tho, because of the notoriously smaller memory footprint. if ABP can fix that (even more if they want their software to be used with such beasts as Firefox and Chrome seriously), then I might give it a chance.

Years
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/09/adblock-plus-starts-selling-ads-but-only-acceptable-ones/

Okay, like what the **** y'all. I'm baffled by this. Either they're just running low on money at a corporate level or just don't give a damn about their user base.

To sum up the article, Adblock Plus wants to begin to allow "whitelisted ads" which means that those ads will still show even with the default filter enabled.

Personally, I'm not a fan of this practice. Who would be, to be honest? I can't even imagine their popularity/usage to survive like this once it's implemented, because even in the slightest way, it's intrusive to a full browsing experience. Additionally, malware is still a large issue at hand with web advertisements and is the #1 reason why I block ads on sites that I do not support.
ABP responded that this was taken out of context they will allow some ads but if you dont want any ads you can go into its configuration and set it to where you see no ads by default it will allow "non intrusive" ads but you can tell it no ads at all

Back