• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

George Michael dead at 53

Years
Okay, this was a death I didn't see coming but somehow we got a celebrity death for a Christmas present this year.

Pop star George Michael has died aged 53 at his home in Oxfordshire.
The musician's publicist said that he had 'passed away peacefully' at his property in Goring at 1.42pm today.

Michael's former manager Michael Lippman claimed he had died in bed as a result of 'heart failure.'

Thames Valley Police said officers were called to a property in Goring-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, shortly before 2pm on Christmas Day.

A spokesman said: 'Sadly, a 53-year-old man was confirmed deceased at the scene. At this stage the death is being treated as unexplained but not suspicious.'

His Wham! bandmate Andrew Ridgeley and close friend Elton John have lead the tributes to the star on social media.

Posting on Twitter, musician Ridgeley wrote: 'Heartbroken at the loss of my beloved friend Yog. Me, his loved ones, his friends, the world of music, the world at large. 4ever loved. A xx'
While John posted a heartfelt message along with a picture of the pair together on his Instagram page.

He wrote: 'I am in deep shock. I have lost a beloved friend - the kindest, most generous soul and a brilliant artist. My heart goes out to his family and all of his fans. @GeorgeMichael #RIP'
(Credit: The Daily Mail)

So, what were your biggest memories of George Michael? 2016 has already been the worst year on record with all these music legends departing us, but one to leave us on Christmas of all things has to just be even scarier. 53 was also quite young to bite the bullet as well, since we did lose a few celebs this year before they even reached 70.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
This guy sung "Last Christmas" 30 years ago, and now he's dead on Christmas day, making said song even more tragic.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get yet another celebrity death on New Years Eve as 2016's one last thing to screw us off. Rest in peace, George Michael.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
father figure is one of my favourite songs ever and i have the faith album as a big poster on my wall, so i definitely liked his music a fair bit. lgbt icon as well.
it really is one of the crappier deaths this year :/ rest in peace

Years
father figure is one of my favourite songs ever and i have the faith album as a big poster on my wall, so i definitely liked his music a fair bit. lgbt icon as well.
it really is one of the crappier deaths this year :/ rest in peace

Now, you may notice a lot of those who left tributes outside his home were of a diverse range of ages and there were many reasons why he was an icon. Not just because he was someone the LGBTI community could look up to, but also the fact his long career and evolution of his sound made his music appealing to a broad range of generations.

The thing to notice is that most of the big music star deaths of this year - not just George, but Leonard Cohen, Prince and David Bowie as well, was that they all had multi-generational appeal.

Back