• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Uproar/Yawn problem

Years
  • Seen Dec 24, 2011
While training my Whismur against some Gulpin in Emerald, I noticed something weird about Uproar and Yawn. It appears that Uproar prevents Yawn from working, as is expected. It can also keep a Pokemon awake if used after Yawn. HOWEVER, if they're used in the same turn, regardless of order, the Pokemon making an uproar falls asleep:

(start of battle - a slower Gulpin)
Turn 1: Whismur: Uproar, Gulpin: Yawn, "Wild GULPIN made WHISMUR drowsy!", "WHISMUR is making an UPROAR!"
Turn 2: Whismur: Uproar (auto-continued), Gulpin: Pound, "WHISMUR is making an UPROAR!", "WHISMUR fell asleep!"

(start of battle - a slower Gulpin)
Turn 1: Gulpin: Yawn, "Wild GULPIN made WHISMUR drowsy!", Whismur: Uproar, "WHISMUR is making an UPROAR!"
Turn 2: Whismur: Uproar (auto-continued), Gulpin: Pound, "WHISMUR is making an UPROAR!", "WHISMUR fell asleep!"

(start of battle)
Turn 1: Whismur: Pound, Gulpin: Yawn, "Wild GULPIN made WHISMUR drowsy!"
Turn 2: Whismur: Uproar, Gulpin: Pound, "WHISMUR is making an UPROAR!" (Whismur is still awake) [EDIT: Whismur was just lucky.]

(start of battle)
Turn 1: Whismur: Uproar, Gulpin: Pound, "WHISMUR is making an UPROAR!"
Turn 2: Whismur: Uproar (auto-continued), Gulpin: Yawn, "but it failed", "WHISMUR is making an UPROAR!" (Whismur is still awake) [EDIT: Whismur was just lucky.]

---
Anybody else seen this happen?

---
EDIT: Whoops! Turns out Uproar is no good against Yawn, period. The last two example battles there were flukes. Yawn says "But it failed!" whether it was somehow thwarted or it simply missed. My Whismur was just lucky those times. I have now seen Yawn work despite an Uproar no matter what order they happen in. Weird.

Last edited:

Tsugaru

Twilight
Years
well thats somthing new...iv never seen that*maybe cause i dont train agaginst gulpins using a whismur*but that sounds very werid but cool at the same time!

Kaneda Morspeed

Only the most powerful win...
Years
No, it's because of Whismur's Trait, Soundproof. Yawn is a sound based attack. Soundproof negates it.

Edit :: Oh, wait. That's... Umm... Odd...

Years
  • Seen Dec 24, 2011
I would have thought Yawn would be sound-based, too. Also, when Soundproof blocks a move, you know about it. It says "WHISMUR's SOUNDPROOF prevents [move] from working!"

Turns out Uproar never prevents Yawn from working, which is also quite weird.

Don't know about other sleep preventers, though. Chesto berry the Early Bird ability should still work since they kick in after the Pokemon falls asleep. I'm not sure about Vital Spirit since it prevents sleep altogether, similar to Uproar. I'll try to test that once I evolve my Slakoth.

Back