• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which would you choose?

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
Years
Hey there!

Whoever you choose is much based on personal fancy.

I tend to dislike Fire Pokemon (sorry to all you fire lovers out there!), and I in turn adore Water and Ground types. So I naturally chose Mudkip.

But as far as the BEST pick goes, that would have to be Midkip. He'll be the most useful at the early Gyms, especially the electric one (Wattson's his name, if I remember).

Although Torchick's final evolution tends to be the strongest. So by all means choose him! Just make sure you pick up a Marril or a Wingull so you can take down Roxanne withough much trouble.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
Years
  • Age 52
  • Utah
  • Seen Jul 27, 2010
Blaziken doesn't have the highest stats, Swampert does. Also, out of the three starters, Swampert is the only one that can cover its weakness (Ice Beam). Not only that, but Swampert is the only one who can get its best moveset before the Weak5. Sceptile and Blaziken have to wait until the Move Tutors at Battle Frontier (if you even have Emerald) to get theirs. Swampert is hands down the best starter ever. Will one of the three stupid DP starters end up being better? We will see.

Hayate

Freelance Hero.
Years
Mudkip is definitely best, he has no weaknesses at any of the gyms and grows fast. If it;s about moves and coolness, I'd choose Treecko. He learns useful attacks and is just my favorite starter xD

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
Years
I agree. Good stats and type. Plus there aren't alot of great grass pokemon out there...

Actually, I think there are plenty of BETTER grass pokemon out there. I prefer Victreebell, personally, but he's not available in E/R/S... so I tend to go with Vileplume; they both tend to be special attack tanks either way.

I'd say a good fire type is much harder to come by in E/R/S.
In my opinion, Torkoal is the best non-starter fire pokemon you can get, and that ain't saying much; the guy's slower than molasis in January. Maybe Camperupt (I think that's his name) is another good one. But that's about it, sadly.

In E/R/S, good water pokemon are a dime a dozen, so if you'd like a decent fire pokemon on your team, I'd choose Blaziken. But I don't like fire anyways, so my opinion flies out the window. :-)

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
Treecko for the simple fact that Sceptile has the highest Speed (off the top of my head...Blaziken my edge him out...), LEAF BLADE, and is the most dragonic of the three (because dragonic=awesome)

Years
I normally choose Mudkip when I restart my game on ruby although on my current game I have Blaziken.
On Emerald I have all three starters.
I never choose Treecko, I tend to dilike Grass starters except Bulba & evos.

Mudkip85

A.K.A ~KIPPER~
Years
Mudkip has to be the one for me. However im not saying this because its a personal favourit of mine its because of the fact that its final evolution swampert happens to be the strongest stat based pokemon of the three last evolutions of the starting pokemon. Also Swampert has the capability of managing to cover its own weakness so therefore proving that it is the best starter in hoenn that you could possibly start with. However if your really not a great fan of water pokemon and really just cannot be forced into picking it then i would strongly advise to consider torchic next then treecko.

~Kipper~

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
Years
  • Age 52
  • Utah
  • Seen Jul 27, 2010
Treeko is awesome. Sceptile has awesome speed, and Leaf Blade is better than Blaze Kick or Muddy Water by 50x
Actually, Swampert's best move it learns is Earthquake (100 AP), which is much better than Leaf Blade (70 AP).

The bottom line is that people can choose Treecko or Torchic because they look cool, or they want a challenge, but the best starter that can get you through the game the easiest and that can have the best moveset when you reach the Elite Four (Weak Five) is Mudkip.

Back