• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen EV training Question

Years
Im starting to EV train now, and I have a question.

Does EV training work in Emerald? Because I battled about 12 Zubats, and when I leveled up, the Speed stat only went up 3.

Im new to EV training, so I dont know much about it

Thank you,
~Marth

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
It might depend on where you battled the Zubats..

I don't know much either. Sorry. XD

Pkmn Trainer Alex

K i n g // of Knights
Years
That's normal. The effects of EV-training is gradual, and although you may not see the boost in a stat that you were expecting, you'll see the results once you raise that Pokémon more in level.

Years
That's normal. The effects of EV-training is gradual, and although you may not see the boost in a stat that you were expecting, you'll see the results once you raise that Pokémon more in level.

But see, I dont understand. Im getting the same results even if I didnt battle a Zubat.

Pkmn Trainer Alex

K i n g // of Knights
Years
Is this Pokémon you're training untouched? Or did you use it in battle previously.

Either way, 12 Zubats isn't really much to see that high of an effect.

Also, just wondering, are you using Rare Candies to level?

Punishment

Brotherhood of War
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 22, 2013
But see, I dont understand. Im getting the same results even if I didnt battle a Zubat.

The EV points are all spread out. Once you see it stat hit the occasional +4 or even +5 then you know you got an EV point. There are 63 extra points per stat that needs to be distributed over 100 levels. Once you get to level 100 your work will surely pay off.

Years
Is this Pokémon you're training untouched? Or did you use it in battle previously.

Either way, 12 Zubats isn't really much to see that high of an effect.

Also, just wondering, are you using Rare Candies to level?

Untouched - No, my friend traded it to me.
Rare candy - No, im leveling up from battling the Zubats.

Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2008
Untouched - No, my friend traded it to me.

Bingo! You're friend may have unintentionally already maxed out the Zubat's EV's while training it. You cannot calculate the amount of EV's your Pokemon has left without an EV calculator.

Pkmn Trainer Alex

K i n g // of Knights
Years
Bingo! You're friend may have unintentionally already maxed out the Zubat's EV's while training it. You cannot calculate the amount of EV's your Pokemon has left without an EV calculator.

Well, he hasn't actually mentioned what Pokémon he's training, but yea, this may be the issue, if anything. If you haven't finished EV-training it yourself yet, check with the girl in Slateport City who gives you an Effort Ribbon if your Pokémon is fully EV-trained. If you get it and you haven't gotten the 510 EV points by your own counting, then it was previously trained, and will mess up your EV-training count unless you determine how many EVs it had in what stats.

Of course, if your friend EV-trained it correctly and fully, you shouldn't have to worry then. =D

Years

Well, he hasn't actually mentioned what Pokémon he's training, but yea, this may be the issue, if anything. If you haven't finished EV-training it yourself yet, check with the girl in Slateport City who gives you an Effort Ribbon if your Pokémon is fully EV-trained. If you get it and you haven't gotten the 510 EV points by your own counting, then it was previously trained, and will mess up your EV-training count unless you determine how many EVs it had in what stats.

Of course, if your friend EV-trained it correctly and fully, you shouldn't have to worry then. =D

Espeon is the Pokemon im training.

Which girl? The 1 standing next to the guy in that little market?

Thanks for the help :)

~Marth

Pkmn Trainer Alex

K i n g // of Knights
Years
I actually can't really say, as I never played Emerald. XD I only know stuff about EV-training, but I don't own R/S/E, just LeafGreen and Diamond. From what I just google searched, it says "There is a girl in Slateport City standing in the marketplace, next to the Energy Guru."

Years
I actually can't really say, as I never played Emerald. XD I only know stuff about EV-training, but I don't own R/S/E, just LeafGreen and Diamond. From what I just google searched, it says "There is a girl in Slateport City standing in the marketplace, next to the Energy Guru."

Yeah, thats the person that I was talking about :)

Thanks for all the help :)

And do you know if there is and how to get a Macho Brace in LeafGreen?

Thank you,
~Marth

Pkmn Trainer Alex

K i n g // of Knights
Years
Well, if it isn't untouched (as in, someone already fought with it in battle), then you have to worry about what and how many EV points were already received by the Pokémon before you can effectively train it yourself. Especially if the Espeon in question got EVs that you want nothing to do with, as that becomes a waste.

Years
Well, if it isn't untouched (as in, someone already fought with it in battle), then you have to worry about what and how many EV points were already received by the Pokémon before you can effectively train it yourself. Especially if the Espeon in question got EVs that you want nothing to do with, as that becomes a waste.

Well, I think my friend just battled it to evolve it. So that really doesnt make a difference, right?

Pkmn Trainer Alex

K i n g // of Knights
Years
Oh, so one battle. Well that won't make too much of a difference, so you should be fine. If you want to make sure, you can always use certain berries to lower the EVs to 0, then reset when you realize how many berries you used. Otherwise, if you're confident your friend didn't do much else, then don't worry about it.

Years
Oh, so one battle. Well that won't make too much of a difference, so you should be fine. If you want to make sure, you can always use certain berries to lower the EVs to 0, then reset when you realize how many berries you used. Otherwise, if you're confident your friend didn't do much else, then don't worry about it.

Well, it says he got it at Lv 5, he trained it 18 levels, I think. Or something like that.

Pkmn Trainer Alex

K i n g // of Knights
Years
Oh, well, that's not horribly bad, but there can be a fair amount of EVs in it already, depending on how it got those 18 levels. You probably should double-check.

Back