I just wanted to give you a heads up this time that I added another tutorial (for adding multiple characters this time).
Also, just so you don't think I've given up on the mouse thing, I figured I'd give you a small update. I've somewhat got it figured out, I just need to work on the paramaters. I think I'll have to input a separate method, which will check for every instance of signs that you want to click on. The method used to get mouse input checks the x,y position, and from there the size of the area that should be clickable (in a square). The parameters check only one spot, so if you have more than one sign in your game (and...surely you do...), you'll have to include a check for that sign and the current map. It shouldn't be too hard, just a lot of copy/pasting and changing the parameters. Once I get a better handle on it, I'll give you more details on how to do it.
Making it optional should be easy. Like checking to see if a switch is on or something. I'll see what I can do about the thing with the signs. Is the popup an image, or a text box? I don't know about moving the text box, but I can look through the message system and see if it can be done.
I can't really figure anything out without actually having the mouse script. Which one are you using? And I saved the image, so you can delete it now. The last part should be fairly simple, I'll look into it tomorrow (if I have time).
Basically, when you move your mouse over a tile, maybe more, a smaller message (maybe customizable width? :D) box pops up with text.
Another thing I didn't mention, but when you move your mouse over it or click it, then the charset changes.
Also, how would I change the arrow keys to WASD?
I tried all of the steps in a blank kit, and surprisingly, it worked BETTER. Not only was I able to create several extra characters, but in-game editor wasn't messed up. Each of the entries showed up, and the existing ones (such as storage creator, bicyclebgm, etc.) were actually moved down with all of their values still intact. This is what I don't like about Essentials: stuff randomly works sometimes and other times it doesn't. Like when thepsynergist copy/pasted his whole project into a new folder and it fixed whatever error he was getting.
I can only suggest undoing all of the steps (and remove the entries from the .txt file) and the recompiling the game and repeating the steps. I'd copy and paste the code into a txt file though, instead of just deleting it, to save time.