• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your thoughts on Obama's budget proposal?

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/obama-budget-medicare-social-security-89658.html

After he put this foward, he immediately started taking flak - And a lot of it - for his inclusion of Chained CPI.

Given his earlier comments about not wanting to touch SSI, this addition seems strange yeah? Seems like this plan would do more harm then good for his approval ratings yes?

At first glance, it's hard to see just why he would put C-CPI in with it. I see his budget being, pretty much, a game of political Russian Roulette.

Because he has tax changes in the budget as well, he's running on the hope that Republicans will outright reject this.

If the Republicans reject it, then we'll most likely get to play another game of debt ceiling chicken - A game that would have the Republicans losing support. If they pass it, then because of the tax changes, the Republicans would lose support - again. Alternatively, Republicans could amend his plan to remove these taxes but keep the Chained CPI - Pissing off a much smaller amount of Republican voters and also giving Obama a chance to call them out for screwing over Seniors at the benefit of the rich.

Basically, he's hoping that this gamble will **** Republicans more then it will **** him.

Given that Boehner immediately rejected it - Saying that his plan, which included cuts that a majority of Republicans have been wanting/demanding, was no way to move the country forward - I think that Obams's gamble might pay off.

Years
He's finally learning to play hardball with the Elephants. I'd rather he just skip the brinksmanship & dueling with Boehner at this point, but they're really trying to stall for enough time and hope the Repubs screw up enough to give Obama some room to breathe in 2014.

Years
I'm not really familiar with how the US budget and debt work. I don't like C-CPI because it sounds incredibly cheap and not fulfilling its role as social redistribution. But the fact that he's including it sounds like he's making a really big compromise that nobody is willing to stomach. If the American public is afraid of both too much spending and too much cutting, then it would be a good idea to find some middle ground, wouldn't it?

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
I'm not really familiar with how the US budget and debt work. I don't like C-CPI because it sounds incredibly cheap and not fulfilling its role as social redistribution. But the fact that he's including it sounds like he's making a really big compromise that nobody is willing to stomach. If the American public is afraid of both too much spending and too much cutting, then it would be a good idea to find some middle ground, wouldn't it?

Thats the unfortunante thing - Modern politics is now based on hyper-partisanship. Members of both parties follow this idealogy - My way or else - but it's much more prevalent in the Republican party.

This is a older comic, but it fits - Especially given Republicans rejection of his budget.

keh1365395344v.jpg

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
So... uh, why does the President put out a budget instead of the Secretary of the Treasury? Just seems weird to me.

Regardless, I'm glad that a budget will be proposed. I hope something is passed. A real budget. No more of these silly "continuing resolutions".

And, I'm fine C-CPI (I prefer it, actually). It makes sense. Accuracy is always good. If there wasn't "Obamacare" coming, then I'd have a different stance. That should hopefully do something to address rising health care costs, which would be a reason to keep the current method otherwise. The idea is supported by all those bipartisan commission deals, like Bowles-Simpson.

I'm hoping it isn't politics, as Mr. X suggested. There needs to be a proper proposal, and proper debate, and give and take on both sides... which is so not going to happen. Regardless, the budget is like the government's agenda for the year (and beyond), so I hope Obama's being honest. And I think he is. It's mostly inline with stuff he's said before. Like while on the campaign trail last summer, "What I've said is, let's make long-term spending cuts; let's initiate long-term reforms; let's reduce our health care spending; let's make sure that we've got a pathway, a glide-path to fiscal responsibility, but at the same time, let's not under-invest in the things that we need to do right now to grow."

Also, it would replace the sequester. You replace stupid cuts with smart cuts. So, that's good too.

Hoping for science and infrastructure investments too. We'll see.

EDIT: There's an overview up on the administration's site. Although it doesn't mention C-CPI there

Last edited:
Years
I know! Because the President represents executive powers and all of his minsters (or secretaries) are appointees and not do not hold office meaning that their authority does not compare to that of a minister's like we have in a parliamentary democracy. Also because the President gradually took over budgetary powers over history.

C-CPI is just a lower standard, but the working classes don't need their benefits cut. People don't have jobs because they can't find jobs. So the job creators should start doing some job creating so we can find a reason to cut social security. I feel "social security" is best provided by a functioning market with the state stepping in for those who need it most. But with the global economic downturn, it's not like job creators can just start making jobs without demand - however that is capitalism and something that we, as capitalists or at least ideologues of capitalism, have to live with.

Back