• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HackMew's Knowledge

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
BE CAUTIOUS READING THIS TUTORIAL SINCE IT MIGHT CONFUSE YOU. IF YOU ARE A BEGINNER, PLEASE REFER TO THIS TUTORIAL OR THIS TUTORIAL INSTEAD

HackMew's Knowledge

A comprehensive guide to everything I know regarding Advance hacking

All right, this is the place I'm going to post all my documents and tutorials. Before saying anything else, I'd like to tell you this thread shouldn't be used for nothing but readers' feedback, criticisms or suggestions. Therefore, for any questions, feel free to ask in the Simple Questions thread instead. If it wasn't answered yet, of course.
Anyway, this thread is still a work in progress so remember to check often for updates ;)

Documents - Table of Contents
  1. [alink id="palette"]GBA Palette Format: What is and how is stored a color palette?[/alink id]
Tutorials - Table of Contents
  1. [alink id="APE1"]Palette Editing with APE: Part 1 - Searching and Replacing an uncompressed palette[/alink id]
  2. [alink id="ASM1"]Having fun with ASM: Lesson 1[/alink id]
  3. Shinies Unleashed: Lesson 2
  4. [alink id="recovery"]ROM Recovery: Restoring a screwed up ROM to its full glory[/alink id]
Quick Research - Table of Contents
  1. Taking Pokémon away
  2. Running Shoes inside buildings
  3. I'm Fixin' It: The Pomeg Glitch
  4. Getting the min/max level of your Pokémon party
  5. I'm Fixin' It: The Pokédex Glitch
  6. I'm Fixin' It: The Roaming Legendaries IV Glitch
  7. I'm Fixin' It: Emerald's Broken PRNG

[A ID]palette[/A ID][DOC] GBA Palette Format

What is and how is stored a color palette? v1.0

Spoiler:

[A ID]APE1[/A ID][TUT] Palette Editing with APE

Part 1 - Searching and Replacing an uncompressed palette v1.0

Requirements: VisualBoyAdvance v1.7.2 or later, latest APE, some ROMs to edit.

Spoiler:

[A ID]ASM1[/A ID][TUT] Having fun with ASM

Lesson 1 - The very basics v1.2

Requirements: VisualBoyAdvance v1.7.2 or later, VBA-SDL-H (special debugging version), ASM assembler, hex editor, some ROMs.

Spoiler:

[A ID]recovery[/A ID][TUT] ROM Recovery

Restoring a screwed up ROM to its full glory v1.0

Requirements: A-Ptch (or LIPS, or any other good patcher), some ROMs.

Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
Yep, that is exactly how I do it. Hopefully, there are no more Palette Questions in the Simple questions Thread.

spenceroone3

<he eats lots of burgers.
Years
Good tutorial.

There are, in fact, multiple outdoor palettes inside the ROM. Until now we've just edited one of them. All you have to do is to replace the rest of them.

That's what mucked me up in another tut! Thanks for clearing that up.

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
Years
If this doesn't explain palette editting, nothing will :l.
I'll see if I can get a full list of palettes for everyone.

Theres also the hex editting way, which I think is more effective and safer, but it is troublesome..
Good job HackMew.

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Wow a new way of pallete editing, that cleared alot of things up.
*Keeps this tut in mind*
Thanks alot it was simpler than hex-editing.

~Celebi

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 5, 2022
how do can you calculate what the 4 digit hex number is for a colour? I am trying to edit the palettes of some overworlds and I would like to know how to get the number

D-Trogh

Dead
Years
how do can you calculate what the 4 digit hex number is for a colour? I am trying to edit the palettes of some overworlds and I would like to know how to get the number
Err... APE's Color Picker maybe? - -'
Or Color 2 HEX.. ?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 5, 2022
thanks a lot helps if i open my eyes lol. Does it matter what order I put the new colours into palette?

Last edited:

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
The original Palette ( the one you wanted to change ). After you search for it, Click Replace, don't do anything els except for Testing it in-game. If no results are shown, then you click "Search" again, Click Replace and keep on repeating until the palette is replaced.

Simple ;)

Hellsing

The bird of Hermes is my name
Years
When I import the actual palette, then copy it to the changed palette the replace button isn't enabled. Why?

lostprophetsown

chatot,lucario and lance lover
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2013
once again hackmew you help everyone in the community with your superb skilled guides very nice help so i could make snowy trees!

Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2010
Regarding the multiple palettes change, there's no need for doing so.

Just search for the palette around offset starting with 0xE and I am pretty sure it's the last one over there and it's significantly apart from the bunch of other, same palettes (which are gathered from 0x26... to 0x28... and when this one is at 0xE... it's a big difference). Maybe it will make your edits faster.

Cheers!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 18, 2021
psyduck007, stop reviving month old threads... HackMew if you want this reopened PM Christos or myself.

*Locks*

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
HackMew has requested this thread be reopened.

Opened

Surf

Years
  • Age 29
  • Rust
  • Seen Jul 31, 2011
That was a great ASM tutorial Hackmew.
I might try a pallete change soon ;)

ZodiacDaGreat

Working on a Mobile System
Years
I'm glad to see its posted. Great job Andrea ^^. These tutorials rival Thethethethe and mine XD I'm up for that challenge ^^

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Ooh, nice an ASM tutorial thing.

I still don't understand what the commands and thingos do, but i'll wrap my head around it soon enough. =P

Back