• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hex Editing the Intro of Fire Red

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years
Introduction...
Hello, my name is Fan King, some might know me personally here on Pokecommunity, while other have seen my hack, my posts, and maybe none of you have heard of me XD.

Well today I decided to write a tutorial on how to manually edit the intro to a hack. AKA the part where it tells you about the adventure you going to take, blah, blah,blah. You know, the part with the little pikachu hovering at the top right corner of the screen.
picture1.png
yeah that's the one

well, today i'm going to show how to change it from that to this

picture2.png
for my hack,don't steal in any way or i'll find you o.o
p.s. check it out in the progressing hacks XD

how you do it...
so how exactly do you change this text? well you need 3 things

~a hex editor( I use Hex workshop, type it in google, and download it from the site)
~the table file, (check the attachments)
~maybe a notepad and pen
~ a whole lot of time,patience,and brains(for the zombies XD)
~VBA

so now you have your table file, your hex editor. You want to open up your rom in VBA and go to the intro thing( do i have to explain it again? XD)

picture1.png

so now with your table file, translate the first couple of words into what the table file says.

In the world

equals

C3E200E8DCD900EBE3E6E0D8

so copy that and search it in your hex editor,(if your using hex workshop, just press ctrl+F and then go to type under hex values). So did you get it? if you didn't, then something is very wrong O.O

so now that you found it what message do you want to put in? how about brains. brains is a good idea, then you would translate brains

brains= D6E6D5DDCD

So then you would type that in then save it. now open your rom and go to the intro and you should see this

picture3.png

see, now you can do it!

adding more than just "brains"...

so now you can put a word in there, but now you want more than a word. You want a whole page of it, so now just scroll down to the bottom of the table file and you should see this

FA=\l
FB=\p
FC=\c
FD=\v
FE=\n
FF=\x

is you know about scripting, then you know what these do, it's just like scripting a simle message box. so when you get to then end of the box on the screen, use FE to go down a line. so if i add FE right after brains it would look like this

picture4.png

so with the knowledge i told you, put what you want in the box

the 2nd and 3rd page...
now you have one page complete, your ready to move on, so you scroll down in your hex editor and you see a bunch of FF's, so your stumped. But all you need to do is translate the first couple of words, search them in your hex editor and repeat the above process. do that also with the third page

FAQ
Q: I searched the translated text in the hex editor, and it said it wasn't found!
A: Either you made a problem in translating, typing it out, or are searching for the wrong. Or maybe you put too long of a search text in the box.

Q: I found the letters in the hex editor and changed them, but when I ran the rom, the text wasn't changed!
A: Your search came up with another result that wasn't the data you need. translate a couple more words, then search it again.

Please criticize my method with constructive criticism. Also if there's anything you find that has a problem with you, PM me.

Credit to hackmew for getting me the table file

Last edited by a moderator:

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2024
Wouldn't it be easier just using A-text...oh wait for some people it doesn't work...Well, I won't be using this method, because I find it easier with A-text, but I guess this could be useful because the way you put makes it seem simple...Actually I might use this...

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years
Wouldn't it be easier just using A-text...oh wait for some people it doesn't work...Well, I won't be using this method, because I find it easier with A-text, but I guess this could be useful because the way you put makes it seem simple...Actually I might use this...

Yeah, thats why i posted the tut, some have problems. but i didnt know you could edit this part with a text, maybe im blind XD

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2013
i like it ..
i reall preffer hex in hacking ..
hex is so flexible ..
thanks ..

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
I tried searching for the text in A-text and it didn't work. I could only get the controls text. So your theory doesn't work for everybody, Mattero (96).

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years
Ya you have to search for the text...

well, obviously that didn't work

I tried searching for the text in A-text and it didn't work. I could only get the controls text. So your theory doesn't work for everybody, Mattero (96).

That my problem too, so that why I made up this method, and this can also work for any text in the rom, so just search and edit it, its that easy

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Hey! Great to see someone finally getting to this subject!
I gotta hand it to ya, you have made a pretty nice little tutorial here.
I only have one big suggestion.
You should change the .doc file to a .txt, since not everyone can open up .doc files.
(Like if someone does not have Microsoft word, or can't install it because of paranoid parents.)

I have taken the liberty of doing this for you.

View attachment 48559

There we go, I prefer .txt files, and so do some people, I'm just helping out.

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years
C3E200E8DCD900EBE3E6E0D8 is just coming up as ......

What'd I do wrong?

nothing's wrong, I don't know what those symbols mean, probably some code. Just search translated letters and replace what you want.

Hey! Great to see someone finally getting to this subject!
I gotta hand it to ya, you have made a pretty nice little tutorial here.
I only have one big suggestion.
You should change the .doc file to a .txt, since not everyone can open up .doc files.
(Like if someone does not have Microsoft word, or can't install it because of paranoid parents.)

I have taken the liberty of doing this for you.

View attachment 48559

There we go, I prefer .txt files, and so do some people, I'm just helping out.

Thanks for this, Now if you don't mind, I'm gonna update the attachments with this file

mat1554

French Translator
Years
Hi,
I have a question for you, do you give me autorization to translate your tutorial in french for my forum please ? I you want, can you answer me by MP please.

Thank you !
Mat1554

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years

Yeah, thats why i posted the tut, some have problems. but i didnt know you could edit this part with a text, maybe im blind XD

Hm, there is a way to edit this text without doing this method.

Like Matteron (96) said, there is a way to do it with Advance-Text.

- Open Advance Text
- Click the Magnifying Glass with the word Search next to it.
- Then, search for 'In the world you are about to'

Now, you should see the whole text! continue with..

- Now click 'Write to INI'
- Write a new Section (For Example, I will write a new one called 'Before Intro')

- Now write the 'Text Name' (Um, I wrote this as 'intro 1')
- Now click 'Add to INI' and close it.

If you made a new section name, it should be all the way at the bottom.
After the 'Start Menu'..
You can also do this to the (L + R) Help Section thing..

Ok, that's about all! :]

NOTE: CREATE A BACKUP BEFORE DOING THIS!!

Okay...*akward silence*, and you posted this because? I quoted above that maybe for some people it doesn't work, as there is always the bunch of people that things may not work for them, so then what do they do? And if this was a tutorial for advance text, then you would use advance text, so please delete your post.

jrroo

Working on De Puzzle.
Years
Hmkay, sorry about that..
I'm really sorry ><"

I didn't read it properly.. I'm very very sorry!!

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years
I have never used Hex workshop before so i don't really know what I am doing. do you open up VBA or fire red/leaf green in Hex workshop? PLZ HELP!

Yeah, it as simple as opening anything else, just file-open, your rom. then just go Ctrl+F to open up the search function and copy+paste what you want searched.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2012
Great tutorial! By the way, do you have the table file for Emerald? I want to try on Emerald.

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
hmm might actually do this sometime soon (like as I said befor A-text sometimes doesn't work with the intro)

Back