• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

First Competitive Team

Years
The Lineup: Celebi (Lead), Gengar, Starmie, Magnezone, Gyarados, Heatran

UPDATES:::
Posted original team - 4.22pm Central Time, 2/28
Changed up some of the items - 4.27pm Central time, 2/28
Updated due to PlatinumDude's suggestions - 10.00pm Central time, 2/28
Added some comments under each Pokemon - 10.35pm 2/28
Changed Magnezone's moveset due to Dude22376's suggestions - 12.57pm 3/1
:::UPDATES

Celebi @ Occa Berry
EVs: 252 SpA, 216 Spe, 40 HP
Nature: Timid (hopefully) (+Spe, -Atk)
Stealth Rock
Leaf Storm
U-turn
Earth Power
Comments: Celebi will be my lead. This will allow me to set up with Stealth Rock. I also have Leaf Storm and Earth Power in order to take care of a lot of common Pokemon my opponent might send at me. I also have U-turn in case I need to get out of there.

Gengar @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Shadow Ball
Substitute
Focus Blast
Hidden Power Fire
Comments: This Gengar build will allow me to prepare for any incoming threats. I can use Substitute and deal with what's thrown at me effectively.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: (252 SpA/HP)?, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Rapid Spin
Comments: Starmie has Rapid Spin for any entry hazards. Having Hydro Pump, Thunderbolt, and Ice Beam, I can take out a lot of different Pokemon and throw up a strong offensive.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 Atk
Nature: Naive (+Spe, -SpD)
Hidden Power Fire
Thunderbolt
Flash Cannon
Explosion
Comments: I think I will go with Hidden Power Ice for this Magnezone build. Thunderbolt can take care of a lot of weakened Pokemon near the end of the battle. Also, I have Explosion which will work well, especially after Stealth Rock has been put in place.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Initimidate
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Comments: This Gyarados will be one of my sweepers. Waterfall can take care of a lot of walls, and Stone Edge and Earthquake can deal with a lot of other threats.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
Nature: Serious (No changes)
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Explosion
Dragon Pulse
Comments: This Heatran will be set up as mainly revenge killer.

I will be updating this post regularly, especially after I hear any feedback.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
You should lead with Celebi and change its set to this:
-Stealth Rock
-Leaf Storm
-Earth Power
-U-turn/Hidden Power (Ice/Fire)
Nature: Timid
EVs: 40 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Occa Berry

Your Heatran should be Naive because it could use the nature boost for Speed.

IMO, Gengar should have Substitute instead of Protect, to protect it from status, and have an easier time to attack. Replace Life Orb with Leftovers if you choose to go this way.

Years
Unfortunately I already have the Heatran and cannot get another so its nature won't change. But thanks for the other advice! I'm going to pick up my Celebi from the ongoing Gamestop event tomorrow, so hopefully I will get a nature conducive to the team.

Should I keep the leftovers on the Gyarados or give him the life orb?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2012
Keep Leftovers on Gyarados. With Stealth Rock and Sandstorm (assuming your opponents have them set up, which more often than not they will), you'll need to ensure Gyarados' survivability.

HP Fire is better on Magnezone since it allows you to OHKO Scizor and Forretress (which it can trap), compared to HP Ice, which kills Dragons (which Magnezone can't trap, and will take a hefty amount from Thunderbolt anyway).

firebolt12

pokemon Master
Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2012
quite good, nice movesets. try doing different better items. Choice items, berries, BUT NEVER mystic water etc.

Back