• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
This thread can be used to post a Mapshot of a Map you made for your Hack of any GB(C)/A game, be it Red, Gold, Ruby, Fire-Red, etc.
The Users then can rate your Maps on a scale from 1 (Worst) to 10 (Best), and give additionally information on what things to improve or to add.

The
[???="You found one!"]Hallo19999ween Pum19999pkin[/???], the ROM-Hacking forum rules, together with the following rules apply here:
- Only Maps and ratings/reviews.
You are only allowed to post Maps you want to have rated/reviewd, ratings/reviews or more information for Maps that have been posted. Do not ask questions about Maps, instead, send a PM to the Map-Maker or a Moderator.

- No stealing.
Only post Maps for rating/reviewing if you made them, do not steal any work of others and claim it as your own!

- No requests.
Do not request Maps to be made for you! This thread is for rating/reviewing only!

Now following is the structure, of how to post your Maps and how to rate Maps in this thread, which have to be followed.

Structure of Map postings

Map Name: The Name of your Map.

Map Game: The Game the Map has been made in. (Ruby, Sapphire,...)

Comments: Your comments about your Map.

Mapshot:
mapshotgz7.png

Structure of Map ratings

Rated Map: Either Link or Quote the post of the Map you want to rate. That way everyone will know what map you are talking about.

Rating: Your rating of a Map on a scale from 1 to 10.

Reason: The reason for your rating.

Suggestions:
Suggestions for what to add/change/improve on a Map.

Structure of Map reviews

Reviewed Map: Either Link or Quote the post of the Map you want to review. That way everyone will know what map you are talking about.

Review: Your review~

Suggestions: Suggestions for what to add/change/improve on a Map.

Thanks to Scizz for writing all this.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM any of the ROM Hacking moderators.

Don Patch said:
Map Rating: The Correct Way

Now, many of you like to post maps and many like to rate. Here is a guide that will explain how to properly rate a map.

Now, let's say I just posted this map, and someone goes to rate. What do you do?

Map Name: PalmBreeze Beach
Game; Fire Red
Comments: Well, I made this map for my hack, Pokémon Xenon Version. The animations for the sea tiles are all messed up, though. Please do not rate based on the palettes, though.

palmbreezebeachda4.png
Simple. First, read the Comments section. You never know if there is essential information in there that might be essential to the rating. Then actually look at the map. When you are done, state what you liked about the map in some detail. If you notice any errors, wait for the suggestion section. Now, also state what you didn't like about the map, but do not bash the map or be mean about it. Now, there are the suggestions. Here, post what needs improving, and how to improve it. This is very important. A person might not know how or what to fix. It is also a good idea to add some final/closing comments. Now, these are good ways to rate a map, and here is an example.

Game; Fire Red
Comments: Well, I made this map for my hack, Pokémon Xenon Version. The animations for the sea tiles are all messed up, though. Please do not rate based on the palettes, though.

palmbreezebeachda4.png
Rating: 8/10
Reason: I like the layout. It forces you to wind through a path before you can get to the next town. I also like the variety of trees you used, as well as the variety of grass. What I did not like, however, was the fact that there were many and wide open patches where you could avoid running into Pokémon. I didn't really like that the actual beach part was so thin, also.
Suggestions: Add a little more grass where it is open, so you can be forced to run into Pokémon. Also, try making the beach on the right side of the made a couple tiles wider.
Final Comments: Overall a pretty nice and playable map, though a few improvements and it could be better.

Posts like this are unacceptable. They give no detailed info on what is liked, not liked, and what could be improved.

Game; Fire Red

palmbreezebeachda4.png

Rating: 10/10
Reason: I luv it!!! it iz teh most awesome map i Have eva seen!
Suggestions: none! totally awesome!

Though that is an exageration, that is how detailed many rates are.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2008
Here is a map i made feel free to rate.
Its littleroot town
naamloosec6.png

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
Its littleroot town
naamloosec6.png

Rating: 6.0/10

Reason: There is too much empty space at the upper right corner and the ledge there isn't complete and doesn't look nice there. That map is just a quick edit from a map in the ROM base you used.

Suggestions: Don't leave too much space empty and add flowers and details.

hrad1.png

Map Name: Gallaia City

Map Game: Fire Red

Comments: The 4th town/city in Liquid Ocean.

Mapshot:

Last edited:

Hyunbin

w00t!~
Years
Its littleroot town

rating/

reason/
i think the new tiles looks great ^^
but the grass looks like a carpet because of the repeating pattern
and the grass under the little tree standing by itself on the ledged space is a different color

suggestions/
try to vary the grass tiles
and edit the little tree so the grass under it matches the grass around
'u'

-----

Mapshot:

rating/

reason/
i really have nothing bad to say about this on, i like it
just one little thing (may be personal opinion):
the fence around the mart and the other house
i don't think they should be 'linked', unless the shop was family owned and the family lived there or something
and usually i notice that the pokemon center is one of the first things you see upon entering towns and cities

suggestions/
switch the shop and pokemon center, or bring the center closer to the city entrance
remove the fence around the shop and little house and move the house a little farther from it
'u'

Last edited:

Argent Crusader

Isn't Falstad dead?
Years
Rated Map:

Mapshot:

Rating: 8.5

Reason: I think that an NetCenter and a Pokémon Center in the same town are too much. Also the two rocks near the Center don't look very good there. The mountain in the right need at last one more level. Also, the link between the Mart and the House is not a good looking thing. The house in the north part of the town is supposed to be just for "Guard Stations".

Suggestions: Pick just one, the PC or the NetCenter. Remove the rocks or replace them. Add one more level to the mountain. Remove the link between the Mart and the house. Change the house in the north part of the town.

Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2007
Christos said:

Rating 8.0

Suggestions: Pick just one, the PC or the NetCenter. Remove the rocks or replace them. Add one more level to the mountain. Remove the link between the Mart and the house. Change the house in the north part of the town

I partially concur. I believe the Gym should be on a seperate level to the houses on the mountain. creating your third level. I also remember those rocks are the breakable type so if he wants both the PC and the link centre maybe he should make a path to it thru the woods near where the pokemon centre currently is and use the rocks or something in front of it so that it's only accessable later in the game.

Hyunbin

w00t!~
Years
MAP NAME:
[untitled] city

MAP GAME:
leaf green

COMMENTS:
still need to do some house pallete hacking~

MAPSHOT:
clickie..

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
If anyone wants to post a map, please follow the structure of map postings in the first post. Posts without this will be deleted.

Comments: I've improved it with some of your suggestions but I didn't put the gym on a separate level, in Fuchsia City there's a gym, a center and two houses on the same level. The orange-roofed building is not a "Net Center", if it was the same as the one in One Island I wouldn't put the Pokémon center in the map. And the building at the top left side has been used in Fire Red for the underground, so I don't think I will change it.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2018
Map Name: N/A

Comments: just a random map for the fun

Years
  • Seen Nov 1, 2010
Map Name: N/A

Comments: just a random map for the fun

Rating: 4.0/10

Reason: The gras at the back of the houses don't fit, the waterfall ísn't made correctly, there is one stair to much, the pokémons are standing on the side of the moantains, the moantains aren't placed well and the map is too regular.

Suggestions: Fix the points at the reason, and delete all the legends.

Irish Witch

Office Jenny
Years
If anyone wants to post a map, please follow the structure of map postings in the first post. Posts without this will be deleted.

Comments: I've improved it with some of your suggestions but I didn't put the gym on a separate level, in Fuchsia City there's a gym, a center and two houses on the same level. The orange-roofed building is not a "Net Center", if it was the same as the one in One Island I wouldn't put the Pokémon center in the map. And the building at the top left side has been used in Fire Red for the underground, so I don't think I will change it.

Rating: 9.5

Reason:
Cause I love it. I see what you did there with the mountains btw.

Otherwise I love your map!

Suggestions:
I think you should make that upper level of the mountain a little wider...

Edit: PS What's a 'Net Centre' ?

EDIT2: There ya go Christos, meets the format now.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
The "Net Center" is the building that's like a Pokémon Center in One Island, with the trading machine.

And about what I said before this counts for replies to maps too.

Years
Name: Route 554

Made In: LeafGreen

Comments: I was working on a secret hack involoving nature and stuff like that. It was going to be called Pokémon Gaia, but do to technical difficulties, I had to stop (I overdid the graphics editing and messed up the whole ROM). Here is the only map I managed to salvage. (I know it is a bit small, but it is supposed to be. The northern entrance leads to a forest.)

Hedgehogger

Learning ASM, but struggling
Years

Rating: 9.5

Reason: The custom tiles look really unique, even better than most of Kyledove's that I've seen.

Suggestion: The sign looks too flat compared to FR/LG signs, and the bars between the fence posts are really hard to see. If you were to start over with those tiles, you should darken the fence.

zak

xpert trainer
Years
i like......

MAP NAME:
[untitled] city

MAP GAME:
leaf green

COMMENTS:
still need to do some house pallete hacking~

MAPSHOT:
clickie..

the maps really interesting........ palletes are pretty good aswel..........
i give it a 9/10 coz theres always room for improvement, nice work man,

D-Trogh

Dead
Years
Map Name:
Start Town

Map Game:
Fire Red

Comments:
Well.. this is the start map of my hack.
I started today, so you won't find a thread with this map..
My hack will be called: Pokémon Diopside
[Whooh ! The first who visit this thread will be the first who knows the name of my hack !]

Mapshot:

Corrosion

Support Pokemon Amber!
Years
Map Name:
Start Town

Map Game:
Fire Red

Comments:
Well.. this is the start map of my hack.
I started today, so you won't find a thread with this map..
My hack will be called: Pokémon Diopside
[Whooh ! The first who visit this thread will be the first who knows the name of my hack !]

Mapshot:
Suggestions: Well, there is quite a bit of space in your map to begin with. To the bottom, there is also a dead end, which is pointless to be honest. Third, there is grass in the start town, which doesnt generally happen in the official pokemon games.

Map Name: Route 135

Map Game: Emerald

Comments: I Made this yesterday for my hack, Pokemon Amber. Route 135 is the first route in the game. This is where Professor Azeleas is first met.
To the south is Jigoku Town (the starter town) north is Route 136 and the cave is the exit of the "Catacombs". There are secret bases as the map suggests.

Map:

route135screenim3.png

Border Block:

borderblockde0.png

Years
Map Name: Greenview Village
Map Game: Pokémon Fire Red Version
Comments: It's the first village in my new hack... no, that's NOT a Net Center and that's NOT a Game Corner... The building with the orange roof is the laboratory, the building with the blue roof is the Pokémon League Victory Road Gate, the bulding with the red roof is your house, and the one with the purple roof is a NPC house. Yep, there's an entrance to some kind of forest (didn't make it yet).

MapShot:
imnzmnjv1a2wdkdm5iz3.bmp

nickwarr_182

The Bringer Of Destruction
Years
Map Name: Route 135

Map Game: Emerald

Comments: I Made this yesterday for my hack, Pokemon Amber. Route 135 is the first route in the game. This is where Professor Azeleas is first met.
To the south is Jigoku Town (the starter town) north is Route 136 and the cave is the exit of the "Catacombs". There are secret bases as the map suggests.

Map:

route135screenim3.png

Border Block:

borderblockde0.png

Rating: 9/10

Reason: I like this map, it's designed with some crucial rules in mind. But I don't think it's a great idea to put a cave entrance right next to the starter town, and especially not in front of the grass, unless you have more grassy patches before it. Theonly other problem I see with the map is the edges of between the two caves don't exactly need to be rounded off.

Suggestions: Simply, add a bit of grass if you don't have any infront of the tunnel entrance, and check out the edges.

Quil

Me
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 1, 2010
Map Name: No Name. x3

Map Game: Firered

Comments:Here is started Pokemon (Nameless) With, i changed the tiles a few times. Credits to Don Patch and Kyledove for tiles, i made the grass and water.. (Little edit, water)
Mapshot:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back