• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

An Analysis of The Pokemon Community

DarkTower

Passerby Analytics HQ
Years
Hi folks! I am currently writing a paper on the Pokemon community as a social paradigm. In other words, it's an analysis of the worldview and attitudes of Pokemon gamers. I'm particularly interested in hearing the accounts of players who have participated in live tournaments and/or focus on competitive battling.

With that said, here are some questions that I need some of you guys' input on:

1. From your own observations, what are some traits that people who play Pokemon have in common?

2. How much time do you personally devote to playing the games?

3. What are some negative aspects and areas of improvement in the community? (Think about certain types of players, or attitudes, etc, not problems with the games themselves)

4. What are your goals as a Pokemon gamer? (Feel free to list several)

And finally...

5. What are some terms used by the community? (Basically terms that an outsider would not immediately comprehend, example: Tiers, Clauses)

My goal is to produce an accurate and robust analysis of the Pokemon community.
Thank you all in advance! I look forward to reading your views.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Quick question: are you looking for a discussion between people of what they see in the community? Or just a poll answer? If it's just a poll I'll bump it over to the correct section for it :)

DarkTower

Passerby Analytics HQ
Years
I'm definitely looking for a group discussion on these particular topics, though I'm unsure of how many replies this post will receive. Perhaps a poll would be more accessible. For now, I think I'll wait and see if I receive some replies.

Thank you for your suggestion, I'll keep it in mind!

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
Years
1. People that play Pokemon don't seem to have a whole lot of things in common other then they like Pokemon. I can't really say any more then that.

2. Mmm, I don't know the exact time. Usually about three hours a day. Sometimes it's just one or zero if I get bored with it.

3. Well, I'd wish some players weren't so, what's the word, naive I guess. A lot of them think come up with these mind blowing ideas that they think nobody has thought of before but they're not. Some players also complain about silly things like people making fun of them for liking Pokemon. Not realizing that those kinds of people would probably make fun of them even if they didn't like Pokemon. Also, people who dislike the anime yet love the plot of B/W. I don't get that.

4. Don't know what you mean. Do you mean like runs?

5. Terms, um I don't know. I like to call legendaries, ledgies, and Pokemon money, pen, if that counts. I don't know if other people do that.

Back