• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GenIV Special Baton Team?

Years
I've always wanted to run a Baton Team, so I made one up really quick. It's probably pretty bad, but this is the first team I've ever built completely by myself (with the help of Smogon, of course). Any suggestions? I always battle in GenIV OU.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 88 SAtk / 32 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Baton Pass
- Agility
- Charge Beam
- Substitute

I set up a Substitute and just boost my stats, hitting things weak to Charge Beam whenever possible, but with Calm Mind later, it's not a priority.

Togekiss (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Hustle
EVs: 248 HP / 64 SDef / 196 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Baton Pass
- Toxic
- Air Slash
- Roost

I use Togekiss as my Toxic Spreader when Walls refuse to go down before I have time to get my Sweeper out.

Smeargle (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ingrain
- Baton Pass
- Spore
- Substitute

Basic BP Smeargle: Spore, Ingrain, Substitute if needed, and Pass.

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Baton Pass
- Acid Armor
- Ice Beam / Aqua Ring
- Surf / Aqua Ring

I was thinking of BPing Aqua Ring, but I don't know which attack to keep.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Baton Pass
- Earth Power

With Earth Power, I can take out most Fire-Type threats if I used Charge Beam with Zapdos. If not, I usually have a Vaporeon Substitute up long enough to Calm Mind and Pass.

Heatran (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse

Standard Heatran Special Sweeper; I just use whatever would hit hardest.

Last edited:

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
Have not got a lot of time but glancing at your team I notice you are not running nasty plot on togakiss, that move is essential if your using him to baton pass

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday

Yes, definitely Nasty Plot. If Zapdos is down, or Charge Beam hasn't helped, then you really need the fast boost. Also, don't use Aqua Ring on Vaporeon. It's not going to help much, tbh. Try Baton Pass / Substitute / Acid Armor / Surf. That means you're not Taunt bait, and tbh you are going to have your Substitute broken at least once in most games, so having Vappy there to set it up again is really helpful.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I'm sure I don't have to mention this, but you're team is super weak to Ice.
A well placed Ice attack is going to be devastating.

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Baton Pass
- Aqua Ring / Wish / Acid Armor
- Ice Beam / Surf
- Substitute

I was thinking of BPing Aqua Ring, but I don't know which attack to keep.
If you're going to use Vaporeon, you might want to consider using it to BP Substitute instead of Smeargle just because it's bulkier. BPing Aqua Ring sounds like a pretty cool and interesting idea, I hope that works out for you. :)

Wish is good Support for the team, so that's something to think about.

Surf is a good STAB attack, but Ice Beam would be your only solution to Dragon type Pokemon besides Heatran's Dragon Pulse.

Smeargle (M) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ingrain
- Baton Pass
- Spore
- Substitute
Leftovers don't make much sense only because you wouldn't want Smeargle out on the battlefield for long anyway.

Smeargle doesn't exactly posses the best offensive or defensive characteristics. So if you're confronted with an opponent who can OHKO Smeargle and you've used Ingrain, you're going to want the Shed Shell so you can have a second attempt at Baton Passing.

Oh, and I'm sure you have your reasons, but never forget that Dedicated Speed Passer, Ninjask. ;)

That's all.

Best of luck!

Back