• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you could choose only one game...

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
If you could play only one single Pokémon game for the rest of your life, which one would it be? Why?
I would choose the very first Pokémon (Blue Rescue Team, on DS). It's one of the Pokémon games I played the most, without ever getting bored. It had a lot of post-game value, because I was trying to "complete the Pokédex"/recruit every Pokémon I could.

Post-Off Thread Of The Day - August 2nd

If you find one of your threads with the Thread of the Day prefix, it's worth 100 points rather than 50. If you replied to this thread on August 2nd, you've earned 30 points rather than 10.

Last edited by a moderator:

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Emerald. Beautiful music, graphics, and a Battle Frontier to play endlessly. Sure, there will only be three gens of Pokemon to use, but who cares?

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
It would have to be Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky. It's always a fun game to play and the storyline never gets old for me. The characters and the music are also great.

Spyro

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
Emerald. Beautiful music, graphics, and a Battle Frontier to play endlessly. Sure, there will only be three gens of Pokemon to use, but who cares?
Just like my pick, Blue Rescue team, that only has the first 3 Gen :) It's not quantity, it's quality right? I mean, you'd have plenty of time to make some teams you never did before. Maybe you could aslo pass the time by chasing the Mirage Island :P
It would have to be Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky. It's always a fun game to play and the storyline never gets old for me. The characters and the music are also great.
Honestly I hesitated with this one! I have more memories of Blue Rescue Team,but I remember Explorers of Sky had a lot more of content than the other Explorers game (Time & Darkness iirc?) I don't remember where recruited Pokémon were, was it like Blue Rescue Team where you had little places where specific Pokémon went?
Pokemon Platinum, it's my most favorite one and Sinnoh is my fav region.
Why were those your favourite? Is it the story? Gen 4 Pokémon? The world map?

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
Honestly I hesitated with this one! I have more memories of Blue Rescue Team,but I remember Explorers of Sky had a lot more of content than the other Explorers game (Time & Darkness iirc?) I don't remember where recruited Pokémon were, was it like Blue Rescue Team where you had little places where specific Pokémon went?

The recruited Pokemon on Explorers of Sky don't go to any specific area. You can add them to your team by talking to the Chimecho in the guild. All the Pokemon you've recruited are on a list.

Graine

It looks at you and casts Mind Blast.
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 10, 2018
Pokémon Stadium 2. Great story mode, great multiplayer mode, and minigames are super fun. Plus, you can play Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal at the Gameboy Tower . So, technically, I'd have access to 7 Pokémon games. ;)

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
PMD Red/Blue Rescue Teams. I've played those games over a hundred times, literally, I mean you get to travel a Pokemon region, as a Pokemon, now is actual RPing. Great game mechanics & loved the Post-Game storylines, involving the Legendaries.

Pika Pika :chu:

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
This is a hard question but I think I'll go with Emerald, too. It's a game with endless replay value and it never made me bored. Only downside is that I'd have no access to some more of the more useful 'Mons for the Battle Frontier (Tyranitar, Cloyster, Starmie). But man, do I love this game.

Spyro

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
Pokémon Stadium 2. Great story mode, great multiplayer mode, and minigames are super fun. Plus, you can play Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal at the Gameboy Tower . So, technically, I'd have access to 7 Pokémon games. ;)
That's cheating :P
I've never played Pokémon Stadium 2, don't the minigames get burned out eventually? Why do you like them?
PMD Red/Blue Rescue Teams. I've played those games over a hundred times, literally, I mean you get to travel a Pokemon region, as a Pokemon, now is actual RPing. Great game mechanics & loved the Post-Game storylines, involving the Legendaries.

I'm sure you played Pikachu haha!
Recruiting Legendaries was so fun, I remember hunting Mew for hours. I was so happy when I got her, I kept visiting her on the Island. Also recruiting is like catching Pokémon, so you could kinda complete your Pokédex :P The story never fails to make me cry even thought I know what's coming.
This is a hard question but I think I'll go with Emerald, too. It's a game with endless replay value and it never made me bored. Only downside is that I'd have no access to some more of the more useful 'Mons for the Battle Frontier (Tyranitar, Cloyster, Starmie). But man, do I love this game.
R/S/E was kinda terrible for this, since you didn't have access to a lot of Pokémon. Completing the Pokédex (not the National dex) was pretty easy because of this, so I didn't have much motivation to keep playing. What did the Battle Frontier did in that game? I only remember Gen 4's Battle Frontier.

Last edited:

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
The Battle Frontier did not complete the Pokédex, and that is still the biggest misser of the game. You're not ever filling those entries without FRLG and even Colosseum/XD (hence why I bought FireRed and Colosseum recently). Still, the Battle Frontier is so fun that I still choose playing Emerald over any of the other games I have every day.

(Disclaimer: I've never tried out the Gen IV Battle Frontier, but I know nothing can surpass my love for the Battle Pike.)

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
I'm sure you played Pikachu haha!
Recruiting Legendaries was so fun, I remember hunting Mew for hours. I was so happy when I got her, I kept visiting her on the Island. Also recruiting is like catching Pokémon, so you could kinda complete your Pokédex :P The story never fails to make me cry even thought I know what's coming.
Yeah, I used to soft reset till I had an Impish Nature, almost every time I played lol {XD}.

For some reason (maybe I'm just lucky) I used to run into Mew fairly quickly most of the time (there is a trick ;), but you still need luck).

I'll be honest, the ending was very emotional, especially when I played it the first time, you can actually feel your Partner's agony when you turn into that ball of light & just drift away.

The Battle Frontier did not complete the Pokédex, and that is still the biggest misser of the game. You're not ever filling those entries without FRLG and even Colosseum/XD (hence why I bought FireRed and Colosseum recently). Still, the Battle Frontier is so fun that I still choose playing Emerald over any of the other games I have every day.

(Disclaimer: I've never tried out the Gen IV Battle Frontier, but I know nothing can surpass my love for the Battle Pike.)
Yeah, loved the Emerald Battle Frontier, although I did find it strange that Pokemon you encountered were not registered in your Dex. Oh well, but I had other ways of completing the Dex >:), so didn't matter.

Spyro

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018

What is your favourite arena? The one you'll never ever stop loving, even after hundreds of hours? :P
Yeah, I used to soft reset till I had an Impish Nature, almost every time I played lol {XD}.

For some reason (maybe I'm just lucky) I used to run into Mew fairly quickly most of the time (there is a trick ;), but you still need luck).

I'll be honest, the ending was very emotional, especially when I played it the first time, you can actually feel your Partner's agony when you turn into that ball of light & just drift away.

Ugh, I remember I kept getting Totodile, so I had to look up online how to get Eevee haha. Now I need to replay that game ;^;
I encountered Mew everytime I went there, but I had no luck recruiting her. Oh, I still remember the Friend Bow (Or Scarf? Band?) I had stolen from Kecleon. I really enjoyed going into the Joyous Tower and starting on Lv. 1 all over again. It really added to replay value!

I mean, it's always the same ending in every Mystery Dungeon, but it gets me everytime ;^;

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
The Battle Pike is my favourite after all these years. Not just because it is the only facility I could win a Silver Symbol in, but I really like the luck-based system and the diversity in room and thus playstyles. I had completely mastered the (mis)fortune teller's hints so I could get through the labyrinth with only facing one trainer sometimes.

I never befriended any of the legendaries in Mystery Dungeon btw, I found it a waste of time to go back and fight them (with the chance that they wouldn't even join your team).

Graine

It looks at you and casts Mind Blast.
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 10, 2018
That's cheating :P
I've never played Pokémon Stadium 2, don't the minigames get burned out eventually? Why do you like them?

They're pretty much Mario Party minigames. They're fun when playing with friends. Nothing new or innovative, just there to give players a more exotic gameplay. :)

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Tough call between BW2, as they're my favorite games for so many reasons, and possibly Platinum or Emerald - I don't like them quite as much but they both have quite a lot of interesting content I've never fully explored; if I had to pick a game to play for the rest of my life I'd certainly hope that it had some experiences I hadn't already seen. (whereas I love BW2 but I've done essentially everything there is to do there, soooo idk!!)

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
Ugh, I remember I kept getting Totodile, so I had to look up online how to get Eevee haha. Now I need to replay that game ;^;
I encountered Mew everytime I went there, but I had no luck recruiting her. Oh, I still remember the Friend Bow (Or Scarf? Band?) I had stolen from Kecleon. I really enjoyed going into the Joyous Tower and starting on Lv. 1 all over again. It really added to replay value!

I mean, it's always the same ending in every Mystery Dungeon, but it gets me everytime ;^;
There are guides to personality questions, including points awarded to each answer. But yeah, it all depends on luck, because the questions asked are very random.

Recruiting Mew was a problem, its very weak & 1-shottable, so you had to make sure your leader is in front & gets the final hit.

The Friend Bow is actually found in Mt. Faraway :P (Ho-Oh's home), on the 30th Floor, you need a key though to get it.

Spyro

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
The Battle Pike is my favourite after all these years. Not just because it is the only facility I could win a Silver Symbol in, but I really like the luck-based system and the diversity in room and thus playstyles. I had completely mastered the (mis)fortune teller's hints so I could get through the labyrinth with only facing one trainer sometimes.

I never befriended any of the legendaries in Mystery Dungeon btw, I found it a waste of time to go back and fight them (with the chance that they wouldn't even join your team).
Did you ever get a Gold Symbol in any of the arenas? I never really explored that Battle Frontier because I never owned Emerald, I had borrowed it from a friend. Now I'm curious! :P

Well it's just like hunting for Legendaries in the main series I guess, it's tedious and time consuming, sometimes you have to try several times to get it! ^-^;
They're pretty much Mario Party minigames. They're fun when playing with friends. Nothing new or innovative, just there to give players a more exotic gameplay. :)
How many minigames is there, if you can do a rough estimate? Minigames are fun but is there anything else to the game?
Tough call between BW2, as they're my favorite games for so many reasons, and possibly Platinum or Emerald - I don't like them quite as much but they both have quite a lot of interesting content I've never fully explored; if I had to pick a game to play for the rest of my life I'd certainly hope that it had some experiences I hadn't already seen. (whereas I love BW2 but I've done essentially everything there is to do there, soooo idk!!)
Did BW2 had as much post-game content as Platinum? I never finished the game before my last playthrough, and I didn't explore all the areas that are now unlocked (really curious about the White Forest, it seems like a nice place). I feel it would've been fun to hunt Hidden Ability Pokémon, but they're much more accessible in later games so idk how much replay value the games actually have. Also I think it relies a lot on WFC, and it was shut down :(
There are guides to personality questions, including points awarded to each answer. But yeah, it all depends on luck, because the questions asked are very random.

Recruiting Mew was a problem, its very weak & 1-shottable, so you had to make sure your leader is in front & gets the final hit.

The Friend Bow is actually found in Mt. Faraway :P (Ho-Oh's home), on the 30th Floor, you need a key though to get it.

I mean it's basically the same for when your leader is Lv. 100, one-shotting legendaries is easy, so I usually don't bring anyone else.

Really? I was sure that's the thing I was seeking in Joyous Tower. I kept stealing stuff from Kecleon, but I also remember I was trying to recruit more Eevee to evolve them. I actually re-bought the game because of these discussions smh

Years
I'd probably pick Black 2/White 2, but maybe tied with Black/White since Unova is always where my heart lies as far as region design and appreciation goes. I always loved the aesthetic of the region and it would definitely be the region I want to be most revisited in a future remake.

Back