• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Restarting: For or against

Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
Do you ever restart Pokemon games once you finish them? or once you finish and start collecting pokemon, is your file pretty much permanent? Personally I restart all the time, as I'm more for playing through the quest than trading and collecting.

Last edited:
Years
I never restart (the sole exception was Platinum cos I had a bad team) cos I want to try and collect loads of Pokemon for my Pokedex.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I do if I can regain everything that I would be losing. Shinies tend to be the only things that make me stick with a game after I beat it. I just want to play through with see if I can do it with a different team.

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
For me, I have some permanent, some I will restart. If I do restart, I trade some Pokemon and items to another game so I may keep them.

Years
A majority of the games I have are all their original save files, except for my Gold and Sapphire (the first because my sister saved over the original file, and the latter because I wanted to play through it again). In the case of Sapphire, I made sure to trade all of my valuable Pokemon and items to FireRed before I restarted, since I hate erasing all of the hard work I've already done (which is mostly why my other save files remain intact).

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
I never have a problem with that because I tend to stick to my fav pokemon so I use the same party 80% of the time in any gen except fr/lg

jfmario

Whismur
Years
  • Seen Mar 9, 2013
I never restart a game unless it's very early on and I want to change something.

I would like the option to have a few more save files. that would be nice.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
I gots a bro so I trade all my pokemon to his ds before restarting.

Thus I restart all the time.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I would only restart if I can't get past a caertain part of the game or it has glitched up. I would trade my good pokemon over to another cart then re-start the game.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I don't restart my DS games. Since I have them for my trading thread. Except for my HG, I use that as trading/battling. I also wanna complete the Pokedex in every game.

I do however restart the games on the GBA cartridges, since I use them for challenge runs and once I finish the challenges, I transfer them to either my Heart Gold or Diamond version.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
I do however restart the games on the GBA cartridges, since I use them for challenge runs and once I finish the challenges, I transfer them to either my Heart Gold or Diamond version.

What LilJz says, but except, I don't really do challenge runs, but I do occasionally.

I don't really restart my DS games cos I am a lazy bastard who doesn't like replaying the game.

(900th POST!!)

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
I restart quite often tbh. I try to explore as much as I can

Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
I would like the option to have a few more save files. that would be nice.

I absolutely agree with this! Of coarse Gamefreak would never do this as they'd sell fewer copies that way since multiple people could have save files on the same cartridge.

Years
  • Seen May 12, 2013
I typically don't, simply because I want to catch them all. I'll restart one of them in a generation, so I can trade all of the starters to my main game, but past that, I typically don't. Especially my Red version, which was the only one that I actually completed my Pokedex in.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
yes, i do it all the time, even deleted events and shinies due to only having one game at the time.

i play pokemon mainly because i enjoy trying all different kinds of challenges and honestly, if i ever feel the need to fill a dex, which i probably will seeing as i have some spare time and managed to get my hands on every single version since platinum, i can simply borrow or hack the few events i'd lack and give them back/release them afterwards since i have no use for such pokemon even on a competitive level.

i only like legends for story purposes and don't really care about shinies especially with the new rules brought by 5th gen.

oh and by hacking i actually meant pokegts. i never owned a cheating device nor will i ever own one. just wanted to make that clear

Last edited:

dragonfly_dust

Look at my avatar! Nuff said.
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Yes. I use my Pokemon Diamond as a giant storage center for my 3rd and 4th generation games that I replay over and over. Pretty soon I'm going to make my Pokemon White become my storage center as well.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
I always restart.
I sometimes keep my second save but I just love to play through the game.
I will trade Pokemon I want to keep to another game though

Guy

just a guy
Years
I have a habit of restarting my games quite often. By memory, I've restarted my Pokémon Ruby more than I can remember. Maybe over fifty times, and I'm not even joking. While I've restarted on LeafGreen and FireRed more than enough.

I've replayed Diamond and Platinum numerous times as well as my SoulSilver. My Pokémon White is probably the only game that I've restarted on a mere three or four times total. Although, I'm fixing on replaying it again eventually.

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
Years
I only restart my old games, HeartGold, Diamond, Leafgreen, and Firered. White and White 2 I don't restart because I've transfered all the Pokemon I've collected over the years to those two games.

Back