• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Legendary Dogs

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Totally random :( Best to wait for a random encounter then keep an eye on the map and walk back and forward between two routes. Anyone have some good route suggestions? :)

kinesis

Sounds like one of them lil' birds
Years
Totally random :( Best to wait for a random encounter then keep an eye on the map and walk back and forward between two routes. Anyone have some good route suggestions? :)

A good couple of routes to try are 36 and 37, that way you have quite a lot of coverage - especially using Gate Houses as they don't make the dogs run away. The routes are also relatively early too so you can catch them ASAP!

kinesis

Sounds like one of them lil' birds
Years
but why 37 and 38 wouldnt they move all over if you are going bac and forth? ;lol

If you go through the Gate House to 39 when it's there it won't change the route, that way you can influence it. Or just check every time you step onto the route to see if it's on the one you're standing on.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 15, 2017
oh true still bit confused but ill havbe to watch some vids i kinda get it u trick it into staying on the one route or something and just try each time it flees?

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Each time you change routes, the dogs will move one route in a random direction. They can also move on if you participate in enough battles, but that isn't all that efficient a method for finding them. If you use Fly, I believe it shuffles their locations.

The strategy I used was something like this:
1. Encounter each one for the first time so you can track its location in your Pokedex.
2. Fly to a central location that has access to several routes (something in the middle of the map, like Violet or Ecruteak).
3. Check the locations of each legendary. If none of them is two routes away from you, fly back to your central city and repeat this step.
4. If a legendary is two routes away from you, move one route in their direction and check their location again. Hopefully, the dog will have landed on the same route as you. If not, you can try going back and forth between routes a couple of times to get it to your location, or you can go back to step 2 and try again.
5. Encounter the legendary and try to catch it. To help with the encounter process, have a lead Pokemon at level 39 or below, and use a repel. If you can't find the Pokemon after a few attempts (5 or so), check your Pokedex to make sure it didn't switch routes (and if it did, go back to step 2). Once you're in battle, make sure your lead Pokemon is faster than the legendary (you can check their max speed with a stat calculator, or just try this one battle and see if you're faster or slower) and try to put it to sleep before it can run away. (Don't bother with moves like Mean Look, as the dogs know Roar in G/S to end the battle anyway.) Once you put the Pokemon to sleep, either lower its HP or start throwing balls at it, your preference.
6. If the Pokemon flees, go back to step 2 and repeat this process until you catch it. It'll retain damage from previous encounters, which will make it easier to catch in the future.

I would also strongly consider using your Master Ball on one of these to make your life easier. Ho-Oh and Lugia will sit still and let you catch them with relative ease, even if it takes a while, but the dogs are a pain.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 15, 2017
wow damn so why do you say level 39 or less?

iv heard using mean eyes is good too? as well as sycthers cut move that cant kill only reduce to 1 health. seems very painful lol

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
wow damn so why do you say level 39 or less?

iv heard using mean eyes is good too? as well as sycthers cut move that cant kill only reduce to 1 health. seems very painful lol

The level 39 thing is so that the repels will work. Repel only keeps away lower level Pokemon than your lead Pokemon, so since the dogs are level 40, you need to be at level 39 or lower. You need to be higher than the surrounding Pokemon on the route, though (I think that's in the teens for routes 36/37/38, but you'll want to be as close to 40 as possible so that you can outspend the dog and put it to sleep before it flees).

Mean Look (what you called mean eyes) won't work because the dogs can use Roar to end the battle. Mean Look prevents your opponent from fleeing, but doesn't stop them from using Roar.

False Swipe is the move you want it you want to reduce the Pokemon to 1 HP. You can use a higher level Pokemon for that step to make things easier, with the caveat that there will be a risk of the dog waking up and running away while you switch. So you could, say, use a level 39 Pokemon with a sleep move who is faster than the dog, put it to sleep, switch to a high-level Scyther, cut the dog's HP to 1 with False Swipe, and then chuck balls at it. On subsequent encounters, you could either just throw more balls at it (one per battle), or put it to sleep again and then throw balls at it.

Other things to note: Don't give it another status condition because it won't get over it (and therefore, you won't be able to put it to sleep), and sleep is the way to go if you want to keep it from fleeing. Also, once it runs out of HP (over many battles, potentially), it can struggle itself to death, so be careful with that if you take the False Swipe to 1 HP approach.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 15, 2017
oh boy haha this is not easy and alot to consider. crazy dogs haha, cool i will do that a quick sleep move then slash it silly and hope for the best. ultra balls the best or a special berry ball better?

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
oh boy haha this is not easy and alot to consider. crazy dogs haha, cool i will do that a quick sleep move then slash it silly and hope for the best. ultra balls the best or a special berry ball better?

Use Ultra Balls. Fast Balls (from white apricorns) were supposed to work better on Pokemon that could flee, but I think they were programmed incorrectly, so they don't actually help with the dogs at all. So yep, quick sleep move, False Swipe (or whatever you want, just don't knock it out), and chuck Ultra Balls at it.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
These Gerbils are the bane of my life.
I really gave up on trying to find them.
Three of them, and not even one of them showing up.
It's a good thing I have enough Masterballs (Yay for glitch) for them.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
These Gerbils are the bane of my life.
I really gave up on trying to find them.
Three of them, and not even one of them showing up.
It's a good thing I have enough Masterballs (Yay for glitch) for them.

:( I randomly got Suicune to appear not long after their "event" in the tower. It'll happen soon! :) Don't give upppp!

Back