• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Johto or Sinnoh?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
8KLkk.png
lPKTg.png

Johto or Sinnoh?

Quite a simple question, which region between Johto or Sinnoh do you prefer? Did Johto's nostalgic charm encapsulate you? Or did the breath of fresh air Sinnoh gave us, reel you in? Travel wise, which is more frustrating? (Other than flying) Did the routes in Johto have you in fits of frustration? Did Sinnoh's forests prove easy to navigate? What routes intriguied you the most about this region? How about the graphics? Did the scenery look far surperior in Sinnoh than Johto? Vice versa?

Both for me, I found to be really interesting regions, Johto's routes were spectacular, they were vivid, lively and colourful. While Sinnoh's did pertain some of these qualities too, it didn't have the same vibrance compared to that of Johto's. If i had to choose between the to though, ultimately I'd opt for Johto. Sinnoh's routes were great, yes but some proved particularly tedious and at certain points in my journey, I'd often quit half way through a route, because I had found another boulder puzzle, or encountered yet another wild Golbat.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I guess Johto for me... Maybe it's because of nostalgia and because I played in Johto more times than in Sinnoh.

But if I were to take it from anime perspective, I liked Sinnoh saga more.

Years
I have to say I prefer Sinnoh. I didn't have the nostalgia as HG/SS was my first time playing in the Johto region so it too was new to me. I just found Sinnoh a far more interesting and varied place. It had many frustrating qualities sure but the mix of terrain and the well designed routes and cities were incredible imo.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 26, 2021
I'd have to say that I like Sinnohmore then Johto. Sinnoh had a lot of cooler looking Pokemon in myeyes and more Legendary's to soft-resist for to get them shiny.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
Johto for nostalgic reasons... and cuz HG/SS had better graphics than Platinum, i suppose graphics wise Johto was better as well. If I had to choose tho, id be indecisive. Sinnoh was awesome, and although I finished the game about 2-3 years ago, I still remember parts and the routes were amazing.

blue

gucci
Years
Sinnoh, Johto has it's time but since Sinnoh came along there's something that I really warmed to about that region.

Apricots

Cream Puff
Years
I prefer Sinnoh aesthetically. The area is generally more interesting and diverse to me. Johto still holds a special place in my heart, though, just like they all do, especially for nostalgia.

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Sep 3, 2016
Who wouldn't love Johto better?

Johto has everything. The Pokemon (Especially Umbreon). The Game Corner. Pokeathlon. EVERYTHING IS FLAWLESS.

As for Sinnoh, it's EXTREMELY tedious, boring music, introduced some of the worst Pokemon known today (Although Unova was worse) and is just a waste of time.

So, it's Johto hands down.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Johto hands down. I don't care much for the Sinnoh Pokemon but Johto has the game corner (even though I hate the game corner in HG/SS, as for they ruined it). It's also got Kanto in it which is a bonus imo. Don't get me wrong the Sinnoh region games are fun, its just that the Johto ones are 100x better.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Sinnoh, a new region is much greater you know? xD

I also like for having the Battle Frontier again! :) And the 4th gen Pokemon of course... :)

Years
For me, Sinnoh seemed to have a very Hoenn vibe to it. From the region being a large island, to having a city in the North which is secluded from the rest of them, to the Pokemon League located on an island to the East of the mainland. Sinnoh was also a lot larger than Johto, but I don't neccessarily think that it made it better.

Also growing up on Gold, I think that Johto holds a special place in my heart, which made me love it even more in the remakes.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
While both regions had strong mythologies, I felt Johto actually kept it along with the present while Sinnoh only has bits and pieces that you just happen to stumble across.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
To me, Johto felt like a unified nation, whose geographical changes felt organic and whose landscape felt kind of natural. Sinnoh - though still a fine region in comparison to Unova/Hoenn - felt a bit more like a mishmash of ideas clumped together with little-to-no thought as to how they'd look together.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
^Exactly what Mr Cat Dog said.

I always felt like I was looking for the right way to go. I was back tracking a lot, not sure if it was the right thing to do or not. Johto felt really natural and with the exception of the two pathways at Ecruteak...it was straightforward and you always knew where you were going and what you had to do to progress further into the game.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I prefer Johto for too many reasons to count but one particular feature that stuck out for me was the lore of the legendary Pokemon that inhabited the region such as the legendary gerbils being petrified in the Burnt Tower and how they came to be that way.

WillPowerPedro

https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 9, 2022
SINNOH. Most definitely Sinnoh. I hate Johto so much. I thought the pokemon in Johto were just wierd and the pokedex was screwed up with half the pokemon being evolutions of Kanto (I honestly don't remember... :P ). I liked the Sinnoh because I enjoyed the gameplay, loved the pokemon, and most of all, loved the characters and how the story progressed.

Mentalii

Back
Years
Johto *v* My favourite region ever ! Amazing towns, awesome Pokémon, each gym leader is interesting (while I don't really like Sinnoh gym leader...), and the "evil team plot" is great, the soundtrack is beautiful... I really liked 2nd gen games.
Sinnoh is, on the contrary, my least favourite region... I was disappointed by Sinnoh. I can't find a town that stay away from the others, there are even "useless" cities, if I can say, such as Floaroma or Solaceon, whereas in Johto we don't have towns like that... Then I'm not fond of the Pokémon from the 4G. And as I already said, the gym leaders are less interesting to my mind.

Back