• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: Dealing with Colors! (Gameboy Advance & Gameboy Color)

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
Years
Each palette has 2 bytes that tells it's color. You need to basically add up the values, so if you want 31 Red, you need to use 1F00. More of a color is lighter, and less of it is darker. You can find out what colors the game uses using the palette viewer in Visual Boy Advance. To find them, you need to flip the two variables displayed (if it's 5A27 then search for 275A)

First:
01 = R + 1
02 = R + 2
04 = R + 4
08 = R + 8
10 = R + 16
20 = G + 1
40 = G + 2
80 = G + 4

Second:
01 = G + 8
02 = G + 16
04 = B + 1
08 = B + 2
10 = B + 4
20 = B + 8
40 = B + 16

Examples (Basic Colors):
FF03 = Yellow
1F00 = Red
E003 = Green
007C = Blue
1F7C = Pink
C0FF = Cyan

1C7C = Purple
1F02 = Orange
1002 = Brown
FF7F = White
0001 = Dark Green
1042 = Grey/Silver

0000 = Black

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Wow very confusing tutorial,
But all the more better, im sure this will help many advanced and beginning hackers.

~Celebi

SerenadeDS

Trainer
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 7, 2013
No, not really confusing. Pretty basic if you ask me, but it is still nice to know! ;)

It would also depend on how people play the certin GB/GBC game on the VBA or other Emulator.. If they played Pokemon Red on VBA with it looking black and white it wouldn't really matter though..

Thanks for the info CBM!

Teh Baro

In my times...!
Years
I think it's clearer explaining it this way:
Each color is a word (2 bytes) with this format
RRRRRGGG GGBBBBBX

Where each color flows in the range 0..31. Comparing with 3-byte RGB (html), each value is divided by 8.

If I didn't know that from before, I wouldn't actually understand that tutorial.

Years
  • Seen May 11, 2015
Really helpful stuff but i still have a question over this, even though this thread is incredibly old. I want to change the color of the main character sprite (HIRO) in silver version to green instead of red. I found the color i need to change but i do not know how to get to the sprite's offset in hex so that i can edit it properly. If someone could please tell me his offset that'd be great.

Years
  • Seen May 11, 2015
Sephiroth I did use a sprite editor and the way the sprite looked changed but the game's coding makes it so that the pre-selected palette the game creators chose will always be loaded during the actual game. Coolboyman has been able to successfully alter the character's colors though so I was hoping he could help me with this.

Back