• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would it be more fun if there was more multi-battle in story mode?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Dec 6, 2016
There are tons of situations in stories where you have to fight 2 Wild Pokemon or 2 trainers at once. Although it's easy since you get to use 2 of your Pokemon to overpower them, you feel like people just try to gang up on you. Would you guys prefer more multi-battles instead of you being ganged up? For example, you can make friends over the course of the game that travels and you can make phone calls to friends and they'll come to help if they're nearby. Some will travel with you for a certain amount of time(if your destination is the same as his/her), but he/she will not heal your party like some games in the past. You can ask people or people would ask you. For example, you're in 3rd town of X game(say generation 10).

You mention you're heading to 4th town.
That trainer: I'm heading to 4th town too, would you be interested in traveling together?
Options: Certainly / Maybe next time.
However, they will just leave and move on if you go somewhere else or use "fly" to leave.

After you beat the game(or even during story mode), you can pick 1 trainer out of a huge list to be your partner. You can also give suggestions to them, and they might or might not take them but the suggestion is given to synergism with your strategies.

Example 1 - I think your xxx Pokemon should definitely learn Flamethrower. Don't have it? I do, I'll just make you a copy of my Flamethrower TM CD Disk.

Example 2 - You seem to like the move Frustration on xxx Pokemon, unfortunately, you have been treating it too nice. "You handed spiked baseball bat from your item bag to xxx trainer." There, kind of beat up that Pokemon and we're good to go(xxx Pokemon used "mean look" on you from the background). We are such good teammates :).

You can choose to change your partner from the list any time you want. All those trainers will level up their Pokemon and become stronger over time, but the trainer that brings with you will level up faster than others.

What do you guys think, would you prefer more multi-battles? Or just 1 vs 2(easier thou, since your Pokemons are usually stronger)?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 8, 2015
I'd prefer it if there were more relevant story multi battles that took place. It makes sense for you to team up with say, May/Brendan or Wally if they actually did much. Or even teaming up with a Team Aqua/Team Magma member depending on which version you're playing.

But if they did anything like this, insta-healing after every battle would have to go.

Aptitude9

Some guy
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
For me, there should definitely be more of them. Like, WAY more. They change up the pace, add layers of strategy to keep things from becoming monotonous. Especially triple and rotation battles, which is why I think there should be a larger competitive scene for them. Single battles are too much about switching and adapting to plays. Other battle types allow you to adapt to the situation, as well as having more chances to play with a specific strategy in mind.

In the end, I think that multi-battles are just way more fun.

Blake Belladonna

*insert fancy usertitle here*
Years
I'd love the idea of such~ I remember in Platinum, you had to partner with Cheryl to get past Eterna Forest, and this was a requirement for plot progress which I think was a nice touch. I would not mind at all if they introduced more multi-battles for story progressions, and they certainly could do it not necessarily with rivals but those characters such as May/Brendan, Dawn, Hugh, etc~

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I liked the idea of multi battles, and with the inclusion of double and recently triple/rotation battles, I was really interested in how they worked...sadly, there wasn't much chance to try them out. The Gen IV games pushed for the double battle to be shown more, like the aforementioned Cheryl companion you had to take with you to proceed and those double battles alongside Dawn/Lucas and Barry. I thought it was pretty cool how they made that happen, and was happy to find out there was more than one "companion" you could take with you through a route or landmark. Unfortunately Game Freak lost so many opportunities to make use of their newer triple and rotation battles, especially against your rivals in X and Y.

Speaking of companions, I'd really like to see some sort of companion system in Pokemon, maybe a bit like the Elder Scrolls. With as many people as there are in the Pokeverse, it'd be really cool to see you able to make travel buddies with those who are willing, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I personally wouldn't like to see that happen, sadly. Double, triple, rotation, etc. all seem gimmicky to me, and are there just as an optional alternative battling method, and I'd like it to remain that way. They're fun for some people, but not all; from what I've seen, majority seems to like single. It would be okay if they were incorporated on certain occasion, such as how they had done it in RSE with Tate and Liza, but they definitely should not be used often. These weren't meant to be popular, anyway; if they were, statistics would have shown more people would battling online via those those systems. Seriously hope I'm making sense here, haha. It's a good idea on paper, but just won't do the job correctly when put into actual work.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I liked the idea of a traveling partner through certain sections of the game during DPPt. Those partners being Cheryl, Mira, Marley, Riley, and Buck. It was much better than me going back and forth to heal Pokemon between traveling or buying lots of healing items. I also liked that once the section was completed they went their separate ways and you were alone again. I like this a lot better than having trainers on call to come with you.

I would like to see multi battles incorporated into the actual plot though. I think one of the best pairings was in Emerald when you join with Steven at the space station. It was a lot more fun than just teaming up with your rival(s) for a dumb battle.

Universe

all-consuming
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016
Yeaah, those sorts of battles are really gimmicky in my opinion.

I don't honestly care for doubles/triples/rotations etc. They're okay, but I tend to prefer singles. I like doubles more than I like triples and the like, though. It can be kind of fun to watch your Pokemon team up with one another or with another team, although the latter can be annoying. Mainly because the CPU teams always do such an awful job and just make your life a little bit more irritating. XD; I wouldn't mind if the feature was removed altogether, really. It's not really that great to begin with. uvu;

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
To be honest, I think that'd be pretty awesome to utilize! For instance, one of the reasons why I loved playing Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD was because I liked the double battle system there. It was open to brand new strategies, like, I saw one strategy they had on there where they kept spamming hyper beam and the elemental beams (hydro cannon, frenzy plant, blast burn), and then, they had a pokemon with roar to roar out the pokemon that used the hyper beam move, so that they don't have to suffer from the recharge. It was pretty fascinating, tbh!

Though hindsight, that's pretty much what I think about double battles in general. The rest of the battle styles... I'm not sure. Triple battles does sound amusing, but, I just don't like how they take up too much time, because sometimes you have your pokemon be sitting ducks because a pokemon on the far right can't attack a pokemon on the far left. That and there's not a lot of room for them to go on.

Maybe it'd be cool if you have a travelling companion one pokemon game, and this time, you two will compete to be the best tag team pokemon trainers in the pokeworld? That'd be pretty cool, imo! Loads of strategy there. :3

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
Years
Multi-battles should definitely be included more in the game. Even better if there is one particular trainer who you can customise parts of them, like their name, gender and some pokemon they have. It surely does make the game more personal, and it would feel more like an adventure.

That, and it would give more reasons for battle simulators out there to give more focus on this aspect of the game.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Endless said:
I personally wouldn't like to see that happen, sadly. Double, triple, rotation, etc. all seem gimmicky to me, and are there just as an optional alternative battling method, and I'd like it to remain that way. They're fun for some people, but not all; from what I've seen, majority seems to like single. It would be okay if they were incorporated on certain occasion, such as how they had done it in RSE with Tate and Liza, but they definitely should not be used often. These weren't meant to be popular, anyway; if they were, statistics would have shown more people would battling online via those those systems. Seriously hope I'm making sense here, haha. It's a good idea on paper, but just won't do the job correctly when put into actual work.
I would argue against that they were not meant to be used often or be popular... in the case of Double battles. Sure, the bulk of the games battles are single, but the vast majority of official and online competitions? Double Battles make up the majority of them, and VGCs tend to have always been double battles to my knowledge the last number of years. Throw in a decent number of them in RS and particularly in Emerald (I guess we will need to wait and see on ORAS and see how many of these remain), the multi-battling aspect of DPPt, the features in Battle Tower for them or the like, and Colosseum/XD/PBR which were very double-battle focused... they're significant imo.

That said, the 'play the game with a CPU partner' is not without its problems! Dumb AI can be rather annoying, especially if say you're fighting with your rival with a useless Munchlax or Clefairy with hardly any attacking moves. And the inability in the main games to catch a Pokemon in double battles until you faint the other is frustrating, made even more so when your 'helper' knocks out the Pokemon you wanted to catch! I didn't mind them overall (besides, they were fantastic for grinding when they healed you after every battle), but I did have some qualms with them.

Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2015
Maybe it'd be cool if you have a travelling companion one pokemon game, and this time, you two will compete to be the best tag team pokemon trainers in the pokeworld? That'd be pretty cool, imo! Loads of strategy there. :3

Exactly, I think that would be cool for a single game, as some people may dislike the idea of the companion system on all the games- but it'd still be nice to see how having a travelling buddy would be like in the games!

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Personally, I wouldn't really want more double/triple/rotation battles in the main story. I've always preferred Singles (though Rotation battles are cool too); doubles and triples have never clicked for me.

Now, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they did make it that way, but the problem lies with the AI. AI partners are generally not that smart in video games in general, and Pokemon is no exception. Sorry AI, but I'm a much better battler than you and don't need you screwing things up for me. And I've always been more of a solo person. Having some NPC hang around with me 24/7 doesn't sounds like fun to me.

But I would like more player to player interaction in the games. Lemme help people out some more.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
By the endgame, my team is built around doubles and triples, and those are mostly what I do in the battle tower place. There's just more involved in the strategy of them, I find; singles are honestly just boring at this point in the series, especially when it comes to significant battles.

Those tag battles from certain games give the story a better sense of... companionship. One feels less alone when it comes to the resolution of matters, is all. The after-battle healing is really pointless though — what then are all these potions I can buy for? The coolest thing would be the option of connecting to another player to have them help or fight you, so like, your best friend could be your rival.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I liked encountering these characters, because each of them were different and definitely helped me get through some areas I would have to spend a lot of money getting through (mostly due to healing items, haha). Plus, I love how DPPt brought up the characters again in other places - they weren't just a one time deal. It was awesome, and I hope they include a couple more of these characters in the future, especially on longer routes.

Back