• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Questions] Looking to get cards for my kids

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Sep 23, 2021
So my kids are getting into pokemon cards now and they have some but are bugging me to get them more. Everywhere around is selling out basically the day they are restocked so I wanted to get some from other places like ebay. My kids are saying that the EX, GX, V, and Break are the cards they want. I've seen ebay has lots of those types but the price range is fairly wide. I'm not looking to spend a fortune on these since they will most likely get traded and/or bent/damaged.

There are kids at school that are convinced all the cards my kids have are fakes even though I know the cards they got were from their cousins (they got their cards direct from the stores brand new) and have traded other kids at school. I'd like NIB so to speak or a reputable place to buy specific ones that they want.

What is a good price for some random EX/GX lots?
What is the hierarchy of cards, EX/GX/V/Vmax?
Is ebay a viable place to get real cards?
Is there a better online site to get real cards even if they are not the EX/GX/V etc?

Thanks for any insight, I appreciate it.

Years
So my kids are getting into pokemon cards now and they have some but are bugging me to get them more. Everywhere around is selling out basically the day they are restocked so I wanted to get some from other places like ebay. My kids are saying that the EX, GX, V, and Break are the cards they want. I've seen ebay has lots of those types but the price range is fairly wide. I'm not looking to spend a fortune on these since they will most likely get traded and/or bent/damaged.

There are kids at school that are convinced all the cards my kids have are fakes even though I know the cards they got were from their cousins (they got their cards direct from the stores brand new) and have traded other kids at school. I'd like NIB so to speak or a reputable place to buy specific ones that they want.

What is a good price for some random EX/GX lots?
What is the hierarchy of cards, EX/GX/V/Vmax?
Is ebay a viable place to get real cards?
Is there a better online site to get real cards even if they are not the EX/GX/V etc?

Thanks for any insight, I appreciate it.

A lot of local card stores sell singles on TCGPlayer.com. That's probably your safest bet if you don't have any familiarity with how the cards look.

Out of curiosity, can you attach a picture to your next post of the cards your kids have?

EDIT: To answer your questions individually:

EX/GXs can be had for varying amounts. I'd just target individual cheap ones on TCGPlayer.com to get some legitimate ones to compare with before considering going back to eBay. Focus on the ones that are sub-$5 unless the kids are starting to play and not just collect.

EX/GX/V/Vmax are all basically equivalent, at the most simple explanation. They're all "Rule Box" Pokemon that are essentially the cards designed to get you to buy packs to try to get from the booster packs. V/VMax are the ones from the most current sets, though.

eBay can be viable, but you need to know what you're looking for.

And as for your final question, I answered it.

Last edited:
Back