• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Are Shiny Pokemon becoming easier to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raichupacabra

Villain
Years
What are your opinions on the difficulty on how to get shiny Pokemon. Most people are saying that this game makes it too easy. In my opinion it's still probably going to be difficult for me.

• First we have the already existing Masuda method. It could still take thousands of eggs to get a shiny. But then with a certain item (Round Charm), eggs will be easier to get.

• Next, there's the Shiny Charm. This item makes it so it's easier to find shiny Pokemon. By what percentage, is a mystery. But even if it made the chances 1 in 200, it would still be hard to obtain. The only way to receive this Key(?) item is to have every Pokemon in the Pokedex, which will probably require almost every DS game in the series. You probably won't need the event exclusives so that makes it a bit easier. Also, there is no word that the effects of MM and the charm will stack.

• And now we have our freebies, which are Haxorus and Gible. Haxorus will probably be hard to catch, due to it having Guillotine and having a capture rate of 45 (it will escape a few times). You'd also need to see every Pokemon in the Unova Dex. And Gible will probably be hard too. Banjiro is most likely going to be a tough opponent.
haxorus-ow.png

So what are your opinions on the shiny Pokemon difficulty?

Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2012
I feel the actual rate isn't increasing - but the inevitable encounters of shiny Pokemon are. But the increase is so little it's negligible, and I do enjoy shinies :3

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
[*]Next, there's the Shiny Charm. This item makes it so it's easier to find shiny Pokemon. By what percentage, is a mystery. But even if it made the chances 1 in 200, it would still be hard to obtain. The only way to receive this Key(?) item is to have every Pokemon in the Pokedex, which will probably require almost every DS game in the series. You probably won't need the event exclusives so that makes it a bit easier. Also, there is no word that the effects of MM and the charm will stack.
[/LIST]

I guess, its back to "Gotta Catch'em all" in order to get more Shiny Pokemon??

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I was considering making a thread on this but I was unsure how to present it. But yeah, I agree it's becoming too easy. Sure there are limitations but still other than in Johto (legendaries/Gyarados etc), shinies were never really such a big deal. Actually, this kind of somewhat reinforces that B2/W2 are meant to be the true sequels, like Johto was to Kanto. Interesting.

Either way though I definitely feel shinies are too important or made out to be by those things. :x

Zerrah.

Mauling with Ursaring
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 15, 2018
I agree with Hiroshi. It seemed almost taunting to have some of the coolest looking Pokemon so difficult to obtain. And for those of us that can't figure RNG abuse out, it would be nice to increase my odds of finding one in the wild or hatching one. And as for the two freebies in the game, and the wild encounter with the shiny Patrat, we never complained when a shiny Gyarados was simply handed to us. It only gives the game that much more of a challenge. Now we can finally try and obtain every shiny Pokemon in the game without abusing the games code, or sitting for hours hatching hundreds or even thousands of eggs without even obtaining a single shiny.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
It's been easier since at least Gen IV with Pokeradar and RNG. Now they just give you another alternate method for obtaining shiny pokemon. So for me it is more of a replacement of Pokeradar. It seems they give you more pokes as gifts and intercounterable.

Years
I personally feel that, 90% of the time, regular Pokemon look cooler than shinies. If the sprites between regulars and shinies were switched, shinies would be considerably more desirable. "Wow... this is actually how a (cow, turtle, lizard, cat, dog, etc.) is supposed to look! I want one!" This opinion of mine somewhat nullifies the idea that shinies really are "all that," aside from the sheer exuberance one gets from finding one and from bragging to one's friends about having done so.

That being said, I do think that developers should err on the side of making them rarer rather than more common so as to preserve the mystique. However, I feel that newer generations are actually better at this. For example, in Johto there was a red Gyarados and quite a high chance of getting a shiny egg from the Day-Care (though back when my Crystal worked, I never got one). I can't really speak for Black and White 2, never having seen more of them than a brief trailer.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Game Freak may be aknowleging that many people like catching shinies, so are giving you some freebies. Haxorus is a very nice shiny, and the Shining Charm a nice gift for shiny hunters and as a general reward for completing the National Dex, which is not an easy thing to do with 649 Pokemon. I guess they decided its time for a better reward for completing either the regional dex or National Dex.

I doubt that the Shining Charm and MM will stack. MM odds are 1/1366 chance of getting a shiny which was higher than in 4th gen, though it can still take a long time to get a shiny( it took me almost 800 eggs for my first hatched shiny) its probably more for random encounters, but you never know.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
Don't forget, though. They've been easy to get since the introduction in Gen 2. Shiny Gyarados. So this Haxorus thing isn't reeallllyyy very new. Even so, it's harder to catch than that Gyarados.

Sorry for my lack of contribution to this thread. xD;

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
^ If they became easier than Johto than they were easy at their debut xD (shinies debuted in Johto as a gimmick for the GBC).

Well it kind of feels that way but as others stated it helps us who don't RNG abuse to get shinies so it's much appreciated ^_^.

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
Years
The Shiny Charm cuts chances of normal shinies to 33% making the chance 1 in 2370.6recurring standard.
If you're trying to Masuda Method it, then the chance has been reduced, but as dramatically. It has gone from 1 in 1365.3recurring to 1 in 1024.

I got this from serebii.net, it seem that we get a higher chance for a shiny now.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
they're becoming easier to find?

How?

I haven't even gotten the Critical Capture, seeing as how you have to get over 150 pokemon CAUGHT before you can even think about getting one (0.5% if you have over 30 though, I did have a Deino break free of a Critical Capture...)

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Shiny Pokemon have become easier to find since even the third generation with RNG abuse. The only thing really increasing with B2W2 is the increase in the chance of a random encounter with the shiny charm. The shiny gift Pokemon and shiny stationary isn't exactly new though, it just hasn't been used since Generation 2. RNG abuse isn't even that hard on BW anyways, especially if you have a DS Lite or original and you find a good guide.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Speaking of RNG do you think the RNG generator will be broken again like it's been for the past two third versions?
The shiny charm will certainly make it easier to get a shiny egg, now combine that with RNG abuse and the chances of getting one increase significantly compared to normal.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I can RNG abuse and get shinies whenever I want really, so it's no big deal to me. I don't see a problem with increasing the shiny rate though. It's a pleasant surprise to find one in the wild, especially for people that have never found one before. So yeah, I think it's a good think if anything.

-Grayscale-

яιѕєη ƒяσм тнє ๔єα๔...
Years
I used to get wild shinies back in the early games, but I didn't know about any methods. Ever since about 3rd and 4th gen, it's been easy, but remember Red Gyarados? It wasn't even hard to catch whatsoever.

Shinies have always been a bit tricky depending on what game your playing. This one just has another method available for players to try out.

Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
to be honest even with the increase the odds of finding shines are still kinda slim so it not like it common. there are few shines i like get my hands on but i prefer original sprited pokemon over some shines. original sprites kinda look better then some shines.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Yeah they're becoming easier to get, not very fond of that tbh as that makes having a shiny nowadays feel rather cheap when comparing them to something along the lines of a random shiny in the wild that you may come across after god knows how many hours of playing, kind of hard to feel as proud of getting a shiny nowadays especially with items now increasing the chances of getting shinies imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back