• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Down Under: Ground-type Pokémon Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
This is a fan club for Ground-type Pokémon ONLY

How to sign up:
Preferred username [required]
Partner Pokémon [required]
Pick a 6-Pokémon Ground-type team (include 4 moves of your choosing for each Pokémon and an item for each to hold) [optional]
Answer the current topic (Feel free to answer any of the old ones or come up with a new one if there isn't a current one) [optional] - currently disabled

Members list:

CloysterOyster
645.png

Narnia
195.png

TrainerMusaddiq
445.png

FIKRI 29
034.png

Celso
330.png

AlexOzzyCake
027.png

Hikari
530.png

Darko
473.png

Jumpleet
472.png

Pokemount
330.png

Walnutsloth
104.png

Umbr30n
208.png

Cirno
231.png

Nymphadora
445.png

TwerkingDiglett
051.png

Superstrength79
028.png

Wicked3DS
330.png

Judge Mandolore Shepard
553.png

AoTora
105.png

The rules:
1. No spamming
2. No trolling or bullying
3. No links to outside sites
4. No discrimination of any form
5. Enjoy the club and have fun

Current topic:

N/A (disabled for the time being)

Past topics:

Spoiler:

All the Ground-type Pokémon:

027.gif
028.gif
031.gif
034.gif
050.gif
051.gif
074.gif
075.gif
076.gif
095.gif
104.gif
105.gif
rhyhorn.gif
112.gif
194.gif
195.gif
207.gif
208.gif
220.gif
221.gif
231.gif
232.gif
246.gif
pupitar.gif
259.gif
260.gif
290.gif
322.gif
323.gif
328.gif
vibrava.gif
330.gif
339.gif
340.gif
baltoy.gif
344.gif
383.gif
389.gif
wormadam-sandy.gif
gastrodon-east.gif
gastrodon-west.gif
443.gif
444.gif
445.gif
garchomp-mega.gif
449.gif
450.gif
464.gif
472.gif
473.gif
529.gif
excadrill.gif
536.gif
537.gif
551.gif
552.gif
553.gif
618.gif
622.gif
623.gif
645.gif
645-therian.gif
diggersby.png
zygarde.png

Trainers that specialize in Ground-type Pokémon:

108.gif
Giovanni of Viridian City (Kanto)
bertha.gif
Bertha of the Sinnoh Elite Four
099.gif
Clay of Driftveil City (Unova)

In-battle effect items (Ground):

Soft Sand
Bag_Soft_Sand_Sprite.png
: Boosts the power of Ground-type moves by 20% when held.
Ground Gem
Bag_Ground_Gem_Sprite.png
: Increases the power of the holder's first Ground-type move by 50%, and is consumed after use.
Earth Plate
Bag_Earth_Plate_Sprite.png
: Raises the power of Ground-type moves by 20%.

dnNqgY5.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Preferred username: Narnia
Partner Pokémon: Quagsire

Favorite Ground type move
:
Definitely Earthquake! It has that huge base power of 100 and in double battles, can hit both of your foes. While it does also hit your ally, with the right strategy you can avoid that and Earthquake then becomes a terrifying move. I remember the countless times Garchomp managed to KO me with a single Earthquake, those were scary times indeed! Earthquake is still a really reliable move though and you can count on it to not miss. Plus who doesn't love screaming out Earthquake? If you haven't tried, you should try it- it's quite entertaining. :]

Why do you like ground-type Pokemon?

They have interesting type combinations- Psychic/Ground, Ground/Flying, Ground/Dragon, pretty much every type is covered. In my opinion most of them have the best designs I've ever seen and look at all the moves they can do- Earthquake, Earth Power, they'll literally make you shudder when you're up against them. They're powerful foes and unlike Rock types, have a lot less weaknesses on their hands. Most of them are bulky yet offensive, so they can make great teammates. Plus they work well with other types! Flying and Ground in double battles is a great combination, as your flying type will be unscathed by a huge Earthquake. They have access to all sorts of elemental punches, they range from big to small. They're a really cool type in my eyes.

Which Ground type has the best design?

It depends what you're looking for in a design. Coolness? Cuteness? Intimidation? Toughness? There are all sorts of designs out there. I'll just say Quagsire! It's so simple and look at that good-natured face. Plus it seems to be some sort of creature that looks out of place- I've actually never figured out what it was. It seems to be some sort of blue-coloured beaver without the buck teeth and cute specks for eyes. I've always found it adorable personally!

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Partner Pokémon: Quagsire

Favorite Ground type move
:
Definitely Earthquake! It has that huge base power of 100 and in double battles, can hit both of your foes. While it does also hit your ally, with the right strategy you can avoid that and Earthquake then becomes a terrifying move. I remember the countless times Garchomp managed to KO me with a single Earthquake, those were scary times indeed! Earthquake is still a really reliable move though and you can count on it to not miss. Plus who doesn't love screaming out Earthquake? If you haven't tried, you should try it- it's quite entertaining. :]

They have interesting type combinations- Psychic/Ground, Ground/Flying, Ground/Dragon, pretty much every type is covered. In my opinion most of them have the best designs I've ever seen and look at all the moves they can do- Earthquake, Earth Power, they'll literally make you shudder when you're up against them. They're powerful foes and unlike Rock types, have a lot less weaknesses on their hands. Most of them are bulky yet offensive, so they can make great teammates. Plus they work well with other types! Flying and Ground in double battles is a great combination, as your flying type will be unscathed by a huge Earthquake. They have access to all sorts of elemental punches, they range from big to small. They're a really cool type in my eyes.

It depends what you're looking for in a design. Coolness? Cuteness? Intimidation? Toughness? There are all sorts of designs out there. I'll just say Quagsire! It's so simple and look at that good-natured face. Plus it seems to be some sort of creature that looks out of place- I've actually never figured out what it was. It seems to be some sort of blue-coloured beaver without the buck teeth and cute specks for eyes. I've always found it adorable personally!

Welcome to the club. Quagsire is a funny one. It was the first Water type I came across that had immunity to Electric because of it being part Ground. I had to have one when I got my Silver and Crystal games. I love Earthquake too, only when I am using it, it's scary indeed when your opponent uses it and then you're pretty much out of luck. Design as in how it looks is what I meant. If I were to choose a Ground type by physical design, I'd say Steelix. That massive overbite in its jaw and the numerous spikes are intimidating. Even his eyes can stop you cold.

Dark Shadow 6

Friends Till The End
Years
Preferred username: TrainerMusaddiq
Partner Pokémon : Grachomp
Favorite Ground type move: Earthquake And Earth Power Because There Moves Are Powerfull
Why do you like/love Ground type
Pokémon? Grachomp Beat All Dark Rising Gym Leaders And Elite 4 That's Why I Like Ground Type

Last edited:

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Partner Pokémon : Grachomp
Favorite Ground type move: Earthquake And Earth Power Because There Moves Are Powerfull
Why do you like/love Ground type
Pokémon? Grachomp Beat All Dark Rising Gym Leaders And Elite 4 That's Why I Like Ground Type

Welcome to the club. Garchomp is a great choice, a tough Dragon/Ground combination. Doesn't surprise me that it helped you beat the Gym Leaders and Elite Four. Another vote for Earthquake, such a devastating move.

Last edited:

Granzen

Pokefan
Years
User name : FIKRI 29
Partner pokémon : Nidoking
Answer the current topic
Which Ground type has physical design : Nidoking, because Nidoking look cool and very strong ^^
Favorite Ground type move : Earthquake because its so powerful and very dangerous and deadly move
Why do you like ground type move : because Ground type pokemon super effective against Rock,Steel, Electric and many more ^^

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
User name : FIKRI 29
Partner pokémon : Nidoking
Answer the current topic
Which Ground type has physical design : Nidoking, because Nidoking look cool and very strong ^^
Favorite Ground type move : Earthquake because its so powerful and very dangerous and deadly move
Why do you like ground type move : because Ground type pokemon super effective against Rock,Steel, Electric and many more ^^

Welcome to the club. Heck yeah, Nidoking is awesome. That is one Pokémon I know I've had before in the older games, just not in card form. Nidoking has a cool design, reminds me of a T-Rex. Earthquake would be my favorite Ground move too, very effective move except against Flying types. I'm surprised at how effective Ground is against Fire, Poison, Electric, Rock and Steel, those are some of the most powerful types.

Celso

Trainer
Years
Username: Celso
Partner: Flygon

Favorite Move:
Of course earthquake is the one I have used the most, it's so awesome to see the screen just shaking and shaking. But Mud Slap is definitely be my favorite, you get it at low level, and use it most of your journey since Pokemon usually learn earthquake at higher levels or they give you the TM late in the game. It's a nice feeling to say that you slapped that in the face with mud xD and also the low of accuracy comes pretty handy

Why do you like ground-type Pokemon?:
A ground type have always slipped into my team, no matter what game. They are really though and have a great movepool. They also have a lot of type combinations, some of my favorite Pokemon of an specific typing are dual ground (f.e. Mamoswine, Krookodile and Swampert).

Which Ground type has the best design?:
In terms of design, I really like Marowak. The skull is intimidating and you have to fear that bone he can throw at any moment. Nidoking is also a beast and Garchomp always give you the feeling that you're screwed.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Username: Celso
Partner: Flygon

Favorite Move:
Of course earthquake is the one I have used the most, it's so awesome to see the screen just shaking and shaking. But Mud Slap is definitely be my favorite, you get it at low level, and use it most of your journey since Pokemon usually learn earthquake at higher levels or they give you the TM late in the game. It's a nice feeling to say that you slapped that in the face with mud xD and also the low of accuracy comes pretty handy

Why do you like ground-type Pokemon?:
A ground type have always slipped into my team, no matter what game. They are really though and have a great movepool. They also have a lot of type combinations, some of my favorite Pokemon of an specific typing are dual ground (f.e. Mamoswine, Krookodile and Swampert).

Which Ground type has the best design?:
In terms of design, I really like Marowak. The skull is intimidating and you have to fear that bone he can throw at any moment. Nidoking is also a beast and Garchomp always give you the feeling that you're screwed.

Welcome to the club. Flygon's a good choice, a unique Ground/Dragon that looks more Bug-type than anything but is still powerful (except against my favorite type, Ice {XD}). I always hated it when Mud Slap was used against me in the Johto games, slowed me down. I don't recall ever using it myself. I also don't ever recall using Ground-types much except Gligar and wanted the one who had Earthquake via Pokémon Stadium 2 but never got it :( I've seen some people's artistic drawings of Garchomp lately and they made him look like a dragon mixed with a shark. Does he really look that shark-ish?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Hi, I'm Ozzy! My favourite Ground-type Pokémon (and partner, please!) is Sandshrew, and my favourite move is Earthquake because it's just so powerful and reliable. I love Ground-types because they're so, forgive the pun, down to earth haha. They're usually pretty simple Pokémon, yet they don't let that get in their way of achieving huge levels of power and badassery. They usually have very either threatening (Donphan, Excadrill, Rhyperior) or cute (Sandshrew, Phanpy, Driblur) designs, making them a very diverse type, and the idea of using the earth to your advantage is a very powerful concept. They're a type that I'd definitely choose to use as a gym team simply because they're so diverse whilst having such huge capabilities, so here I am joining the club to fan-girl over them. Hi! :D

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Hi, I'm Ozzy! My favourite Ground-type Pokémon (and partner, please!) is Sandshrew, and my favourite move is Earthquake because it's just so powerful and reliable. I love Ground-types because they're so, forgive the pun, down to earth haha. They're usually pretty simple Pokémon, yet they don't let that get in their way of achieving huge levels of power and badassery. They usually have very either threatening (Donphan, Excadrill, Rhyperior) or cute (Sandshrew, Phanpy, Driblur) designs, making them a very diverse type, and the idea of using the earth to your advantage is a very powerful concept. They're a type that I'd definitely choose to use as a gym team simply because they're so diverse whilst having such huge capabilities, so here I am joining the club to fan-girl over them. Hi! :D

Welcome to the club. Sandshrew is the first Ground-type I ever saw in the anime I believe. I don't hear much about him these days. Earthquake is an instant game changer, one hit and it either cripples or wipes out your opponent. There are alot of diverse Ground-types. I normally notice the powerhouse ones like Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Rhyperior, etc. I remember Donphan being a difficult one to deal with in the anime, using Rollout and being able to take damage pretty well. Bertha using her Hippowdon to beat Ash was something too, even though it seemed Hippowdon and Torterra were evenly matched. Ground-types are underrated but I'm glad to see that some still pay attention to them. :)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Unfortunately Sandshrew's Earthquake (which he didn't even learn by level until Gen V!) isn't so much of a game changer, haha. If you evolve him into Sandslash and use his bulk to get in a Swords Dance or two then he's able to do some decent damage, but in reality Sandslash just isn't a powerhouse and he's very hard to turn into one. I agree that Ground-types have become a bit out of the spotlight recently though - I wonder why that is? Maybe they're seen as a type without many quirks so there's not much to focus on? I'm not sure why they've died down, but it makes me sad haha.

Celso

Trainer
Years
That would be Onix when it evolves into Steelix. When generation II came along they introduced Steel as a new type and fans wanted an Onix evolution. Killing 2 birds at the same time they made Onix evolve from a Rock/Ground into a Steel/Ground.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
That would be Onix when it evolves into Steelix. When generation II came along they introduced Steel as a new type and fans wanted an Onix evolution. Killing 2 birds at the same time they made Onix evolve from a Rock/Ground into a Steel/Ground.

Correct. Steelix I would have to say is my favorite Ground-type, and overall Steel-type too. Never had one in the Generation II games because I had no one to trade with.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I love Steelix but it's not a Pokémon I've ever used. I've always found his cheeky grin to be somewhat cute and he certainly seems like a Pokémon that's worth trying out, but I've never really had a chance to haha. Would you guys say he's worth using over some of the other Ground types out there, though? I think Excadrill outclasses him in almost every way and with the same typing, but aside from that is Steelix a good addition to a team?

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Steelix is quite a cool Pokemon but I've never gotten the chance to use one. Onix never appealed to me that much, at first sight a rock snake seemed extraordinary- I gave it a try and I just didn't find it appealing. I'd agree that Excadrill outclasses it in terms of utility/support and attack power to any team. I haven't actually used one so I'm not exactly sure, but I've witnessed one being used skilfully in a competitive battle. From the looks of it, it has great defense, easily withstanding super effective attacks and hitting back hard. Its generally quite balanced and also has access to Sturdy, one of the most useful abilities out there in my opinion. I'd give it a go if I could, but its pre-evolution never really stood out to me tbh. If someone could explain how cool it is and why, I'd be interested. :D

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Steelix is quite a cool Pokemon but I've never gotten the chance to use one. Onix never appealed to me that much, at first sight a rock snake seemed extraordinary- I gave it a try and I just didn't find it appealing. I'd agree that Excadrill outclasses it in terms of utility/support and attack power to any team. I haven't actually used one so I'm not exactly sure, but I've witnessed one being used skilfully in a competitive battle. From the looks of it, it has great defense, easily withstanding super effective attacks and hitting back hard. Its generally quite balanced and also has access to Sturdy, one of the most useful abilities out there in my opinion. I'd give it a go if I could, but its pre-evolution never really stood out to me tbh. If someone could explain how cool it is and why, I'd be interested. :D

Now this I agree with :) I liked Onix too though, just had to teach it the right moves to make it more powerful and intimidating. Bind, Slam, Rock Throw (or Rock Slide) and Sandstorm. Now that we're into the 6th generation, Onix now has more of a move set to choose from.

dannidarko

Danni Darko
Years
Preferred username: Darko
Partner Pokémon: Mamoswine

Favorite Ground type move:
Well the obvious choice is earthquake because it's the most powerful ground type move in the game! Not to mention the 100 accuracy is handy too! After 5th gen when all tms were of unlimited use, I just though all my pokemon earthquake because most pokemon can learn it!

Almost all Ground types are heavy physical attackers with great bulk. It's handy to have one during a playthrough and in competitive battling. That resistance to electric is awesome too!!

Thats a tough one! All of them portray that whole "ima tough guy" look. I would say Gliscor or steelix. They have that menacing yet cool aura about them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back