• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Food Chain for Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
We all know that in games and in the anime, Pokemon have only been shown eating berries and Pokemon food. But what exactly do Pokemon in the wild eat? What do their diet consist of, especially if they're carnivorous?

According to Wumrple's Pokedex entry in D/P/Pt, it is hunted by Starlys. So we know for a fact that the Starly line are carnivores that feed on Wurmples, and possibly other worm-like Bug types i.e. Caterpie etc.

Feel free to post and share what you think could be a predator or prey. :)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Actually, I was just watching the third episode of Season One with my boyfriend last night and we watched a Pidgeotto eat a worm. We figured it couldn't be a bug Pokemon, because it was absolutely tiny. Caterpie was easily 100x the size of it, for example. So I figure the Pokemon don't necessarily have to always eat each other. :P

Edit: Another Pokedex entry for Pidgeotto says that Exeggcute is its prey as well though, so that's another "Pokemon eating Pokemon" fact.

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
This is one thing that extremely confuses me. This makes Pokemon completely like animals, though. So I guess that's kind of understandable.

But yeah, the game Pokedex contradicts the anime most of the time. But there is definitely some carnivorous Pokemon.

Years
And I wonder what Pokemon like Luxray, Arcanine, Seviper, Mightyena hunt on? Also while we're at it, do Baltoys, Goletts, Lunatone, Solrocks eat food?

What would you the legendaries feed on?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Ghost pokemon would probably eat spirits and Legendaries might have a power to live without eating/drinking. I would also imagine that all of the fully evolved bird pokemon are birds of prey too.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
And I wonder what Pokemon like Luxray, Arcanine, Seviper, Mightyena hunt on? Also while we're at it, do Baltoys, Goletts, Lunatone, Solrocks eat food?

What would you the legendaries feed on?
Arcanine, very rare pokemon in the wild. Possibly hunts dodrio or even ponyta/rapidash for its prey. Seviper as we know have bitter rivalry with Zangoose, so we can expect them to eat zangoose offspring or the dead one.

Baltoy, Goletts, Lunatone, Solrock, and other of its kind does not need food. They draw mystical power around them to energize themself. So we can expect those pokemon actually are very rare pokemon.

Legendaries that are godlike doesn't need food. Their own mythical power is enough to suspend their lives. Maybe man-made legendary like Mewtwo or the one that not too godlike such as Bird Trio does need food.

so, I do so support the idea of pokemon eat another pokemon.

Last edited:
Years
No doubt seabirds like Wingull and Pelipper feed on Magikarp, Finneon, Feebas and Remoraid. I don't think Barboach and Whiscas would be appetizing, lol.

Sharpedo would be another underwater predator, feeding not only on the fishes, but on Seels, Dewgongs sometimes even Wailmers and Wailord. (Sharks hunt on seels and rarely, whales)

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 10, 2020
Legendary pokemon not needing food? I doubt the people in Lancunosa Town would agree with that (Kyurem backstory).

Years
Legendary pokemon not needing food? I doubt the people in Lancunosa Town would agree with that (Kyurem backstory).

"According to legend, a long time ago, a large meteor came from the sky containing a terrifying monster. It was said that at night the monster would appear in the town along with the cold winds and take away humans and Pokémon to eat them." Yup, your right. Kyurem does have a diet...on humans. xD

Years
According to the Dex entry, Golett absorbs energy from somewhere unknown and have been originated from an ancient civilization(Similar to Baltoy). So maybe Golett feeds on something paranormal? Like astral particles, maybe? Just dishing out thoughts here. :>

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Apparently, Pawniard and Bisharp are carnivores and they appear to eat almost every Pokemon they come across that they perceive as a threat.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
Basically any bird flying type would feed on bug types such as Caterpie, Wurmple, Weedke and such.

It contradicts the anime of course, but I would like to see a Starly attacking a bug type and consuming it...... /evil

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
@Charizard: Hahah, yeah. And sea birds feed on helpless Magikarps. XD

That's the only to make sure Gyarados doesn't overrun the whole ecosystem. From 500 of magikarps out there, it is possible that only 1 or 2 that manage to survive long enough and evolve to gyarados.

PKFL_531

What do you expect?
Years
Grass-type pokemon would use photosynthesis. Some also produce fruit, such as Tropius. Others produce seeds such as Venusaur. Perhaps they feed their produce to other pokemon?

Years
I think Ariados and Galvantula eat anything that happens to fall into their web. But Galvantula live in Chargestone cave and theres only steel bugs and those gear Pokemon there. o.o

Ferny

The Shiny Ninetales
Years
I would imagine that wild canine or feline-like Pokémon would eat smaller rodent-like Pokémon. I remember a part of a fanfiction I wrote one time where a Ninetales ate Pokémon that were similar to what real-life foxes eat: Magikarp, Rattata, Buneary, etc.

I could also see maybe a group of Luxray hunting Zebstrika, or maybe Mightyena hunting young Deerling.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
Before discussing how and what Pokémon eat, isn't it first important to describe how they excrete the wastes out of their body?.............Kidding.

miju-kun

soaring
Years
  • Seen May 28, 2014
In my opinion, legendaries can eat whenever they want, but they don't need to eat.

Liepard hunting Zebstrika?
What do Magikarp eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back