• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pok?mon Academy Life (Visual Novel) - DEMO v1.0.3a LIVE

How should characters be associated with Pokémon types?

• With their signature Pokémon (if any)

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Based on their personalities

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
Years
Pokémon Academy Life (Visual Novel) - DEMO v1.0.3a LIVE

rmONesj.png

SJLx6fc.png

Windows | Mac

LzDPzCB.png

Windows | Mac

dQUxFtm.jpg

3d5mtN6.png
Pokémon Academy Life is a non-profit, fan-made visual novel that takes you into an alternate Pokémon world that doesn't send 10-year-olds off to fend for themselves. Here, characters from the core series games are put together in a more realistic high school setting. Rather than the player character leave on a solo journey at a young age, he (in this case based on Red from Pokémon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow) attends school like any one of us and learn about the Pokémon world from there.

Prior knowledge of the Pokémon franchise is very helpful, but not necessary.

The majority of your time will be spent in the Kobukan (koh-BU-kahn) region—name taken from Japanese kanji, elements of 'inspiration' and 'feeling'—located fairly equidistant from the six regions. As Red (or custom player name), you are the dynamic protagonist who will interact with a plethora of characters. The story will progress in different branches depending on who you choose to talk to, who you try to befriend, pursue as a romantic interest, who you choose to help, and much more.

At the core, the game is a social simulator with dating elements. Its content will mainly be slice of life and school life. However, as the protagonist you have your share of opportunities to participate in all sorts of different story arcs with the characters you interact with. I'm going to mainly focus on male characters that the protagonist will be close with and the female character(s) that the protagonist decides to pursue.

Because this takes place in an academy, you will take on the role of a student. This includes socializing with your classmates, studying and taking exams, participating in extracurricular activities and other school-related events. Outside of school, many random and scripted events can occur depending on the characters you choose to engage throughout the story.

BlCZzgT.png

Characters in Pokémon Academy Life are mostly based on their in-game counterparts and will be older (15-18 in the beginning). Not all character ages are based on their canon counterparts.

mW1P9pn.png
7xhyoLv.png

KHVW4kx.png
EuXXSUP.png

JHx334j.png
BwTnKYC.png

The current demo (1.0.3) takes place during the first academic year and already includes a plethora of characters. In addition to the ones above and below, more characters are featured in the three years at the academy.

8VbRclr.png
pAVmBMW.png
u4vUdiK.png
ev8JHBd.png
DMZB4uR.png
9NEqvQo.png
O5lPPex.png
Ln0rtVq.png
ktGjafq.png

MZpUt9E.png
7ms7EJR.png
V0OniMX.png
ZG2G4Fx.png
vRsuaeK.png
s83zjde.png
lJUunsW.png
qtHiPEy.png
gyRoNFD.png
sgo0gou.png

H2fZ9cF.png

NBRroyM.png
CRr3pXI.png
Th0pEan.png
cikhLhs.png
xEuYPpu.png
FrxsG9i.png
7VWTErX.png
Ib8oQlT.png

r2cZQgV.png

To be updated

1Tzn1fg.png

Director / Developer:
VisualJae

Storyboard:
VisualJae
dmjh93

Screenwriter:
dmjh93

Lead Artist / Character Designer:
dmjh93

Systems Developers:
gouki
Steve

Background Artist:
moonmachine

Additional Art by:
Gato Hayakawa
ILKCMP
Joshua Dunlop
mark331
moonmachine
Saitoki

Additional Scenarios by:
Jack "Skye" Rowsell
Jordan "Soundwave" Hamburger
ScottpilgramFMAB
Tylor Kranyak

Music:
Pokémon Reorchestrated
FamilyJules7X
FL.Remix
GlitchxCity
HappyDragonite
Ricelia

"Pokémon Sentai"
John & naoka

Additional music (anime) composed by
Shinji Miyazaki

Original Pokémon themes composed by
Junichi Masuda
Go Ichinose

Third Party Resources:
SFX from AudioBlocks
GFX from Video Copilot
PokeStadium

Pikachu voices by Ikue Ohtani
Compiled by PokemonGamer

Additional Pokémon SFX from AceRidley

Production Contributions:
Toriko09
Zygarde​

Currently known issues:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

VisualJae

Years
6/7/16+
Currently working on:

- Two new writers are now on board to assist with writing
- Battle engine in continued development
- Pokémon and additional NPC artwork

Postponed:
- Promotional video (~60% complete)

Last edited:

Lexatom

Blockbuster Advocate
Years
My hype levels are overflowing. Any idea of some sort of release date yet? I want to get this right when it gets released XD

VisualJae

Years
No release dates planned at all, unfortunately. I'm a ways away from the finish line. However, I can guarantee working on this on a daily basis, but since the story is meant to span three years, it'll take a while before it's completed.

I'm pretty much getting the boring part out of the way first (day one prologue partially seen in the alpha demo video). After that it's full on story time.

Currently working on getting as many character arcs and routes down in writing.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2017
I will keeping a very close eye on this, I've always wanted to see something like this.

VisualJae

Years
Apparently the artist was not satisfied with Leaf's expressions so he redid them last night.

Honestly, I can't tell the difference, but here's the current version of Leaf in her casual outfit... and a bonus swimsuit MistyTsundere-chan (yes, she will be on a swim team) for closet pervs:
Spoiler:

FYI, I listed Leaf's hometown as Cinnabar Island in the character briefs in the OP. Plot reasons. That's all I can say right now.

P.S. How the heck do you wrap text around an image here?

Last edited:

VisualJae

Years
If you mean "floating" then I hope this is it:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=5329093&postcount=27

Also I'm really liking where this is going. It's quite amazing think about how much time you've probably put in this game and it really shows. All the people, all the paths you can take, not many people can pull off what you're doing. I'm definitely excited for this. :)
Yep! That does get closer to what I want to do. The images I post will usually be rather large so it turns out wrapping doesn't help all that much sometimes. Still useful stuff, though.

And thanks. It's a rather large endeavor, but it's a lot of fun to do. I may end up stalking some of those always heated shipping threads for potential ideas ;)

It certainly helps that the artist (my brother) tends to work very fast. Now if only I can get my background artists to do the same...

Years
Yep! That does get closer to what I want to do. The images I post will usually be rather large so it turns out wrapping doesn't help all that much sometimes. Still useful stuff, though.

And thanks. It's a rather large endeavor, but it's a lot of fun to do. I may end up stalking some of those always heated shipping threads for potential ideas ;)

It certainly helps that the artist (my brother) tends to work very fast. Now if only I can get my background artists to do the same...
Haha. I wish I could help, but as a person with no abilities whatsoever, I couldn't do much other than cheer from the sidelines. Just curious though, I'm assuming the -deres will be in this hack?

VisualJae

Years
Just curious though, I'm assuming the -deres will be in this hack?
I'm not sure what you mean by hack as this is being created from scratch via Ren'Py and Python language... however!

You're looking at one of the -deres above. And she's not the only one of that type. Coincidentally the other one also happens to be a redhead.

I'd like to try using tropes only in moderation, but it's just so tempting sometimes. All in good fun, though.

Years
I'm not sure what you mean by hack as this is being created from scratch via Ren'Py and Python language... however!

You're looking at one of the -deres above. And she's not the only one of that type. Coincidentally the other one also happens to be a redhead.

I'd like to try using tropes only in moderation, but it's just so tempting sometimes. All in good fun, though.
Ugh sorry bout that >.< I frequent the rom hacking section more, so it's like a habit calling something a hack.

Oh! I just noticed that you added Misty. It's gonna be quite funny to see how you make each character's personality. But like I said, this is amazing and good luck with it and I'll definitely swing by once in a while to see the progress. :)

VisualJae

Years
Magical girl Sabrina.

...I wish.
Spoiler:

All I'll say for now is that she's not going to be much of a talker.

Last edited:

VisualJae

Years
I feel like they all have the same face just different hair and clothes :(
Hmm. I'll have to say that's literally the first time I've heard that one.

Edit: Yep, not sure where you're coming from. I duplicated the expressions layers for some of the characters and swapped them with each other and the results are clearly different. If you want to point out the specifics, by all means share the details so I can pass them along to the artist.

Last edited:

VisualJae

Years
Don't know why, but Sabrina looks more flat-chested in that school uniform :D
Edit: Artist's explanation is that the casual outfit is skin-tight, which would accentuate the bust more. On the other hand, the school uniform is multi-layered so it's natural that the same "roundness" doesn't come out.

I can confirm based on the art assets I have that the anatomy did not change, only the outfits. It'll be less apparent in the game when you don't see both the casual outfit and uniform versions side by side.

Last edited:

VisualJae

Years
Added brief character route descriptions in the OP. I'll update them usually after I feel it's in an "okay" place (meaning I am thinking about using the idea as a game route).

A couple of things to note. The first is that they're very vague descriptions. I wish I could include more details, but I feel that really spoils the effects of discovery so I'd like to keep that to a minimum, even while under spoiler tags. Another thing to note is that none of the content is guaranteed to be used. They're here mostly for feedback purposes and as notes for myself. If I think I can do better, I'll make changes without hesitation.

Psychic

Really and truly
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2018
Sounds interesting! I haven't seen any visual novel games with the Pokemon cast, and this looks like a good amount of thought is going into it. The art is also pretty nice - are you guys making everything? The backgrounds look really polished.

That said, there are a few things I find odd. Firstly, do you have permission to use the Pokémon Reorchestrated music? You also really shouldn't be using official music or sound effects. An original soundtrack, or royalty-free music/effects, would likely suit it better.

I'm going to mainly focus on male characters that the protagonist will be close with and the female character(s) that the protagonist decides to pursue.
Erm, does that mean there won't be any focus on platonic friendships with female characters? Also, you can't pursue male love interests?

Lastly, it doesn't sound like there's much emphasis on the Pokemon, which is a shame since this is taking place in the Pokemon world. You don't necessarily have to incorporate catching and battling imo, but it would be nice to have to cultivate relationships with Pokemon as well. It would be pretty fitting with the slice-of-life nature of the narrative, and I personally always like seeing the relationships between humans and Pokemon.

Don't know why, but Sabrina looks more flat-chested in that school uniform :D
Probably because there's a bow over her chest?

Good luck,

~Psychic

VisualJae

Years
Sounds interesting! I haven't seen any visual novel games with the Pokemon cast, and this looks like a good amount of thought is going into it. The art is also pretty nice - are you guys making everything? The backgrounds look really polished.
Thanks! I'll do my best to answer every point.

Right now it's just me writing everything and coding everything, though I occasionally do get some volunteers who pitch in some ideas. My kid brother is doing all the character art and I have a couple of artists currently working on backgrounds. The vast majority of the current backgrounds used are placeholders.

Firstly, do you have permission to use the Pokémon Reorchestrated music? You also really shouldn't be using official music or sound effects.
The Reorchestrated tracks are fan content themselves and are licensed under the CC (NC/ND) for reuse without sale/modification. I've paid for the music myself because I fully support the creators.

As for any official-sounding music in general, it's under Copyright Disclaimer Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, under "fair use."

Biggest caveat is that this project is not for profit and "fair use" leans heavily in favor of non-profit endeavors. Same applies for most fan content, despite some occasionally getting C&Ds. It just happens. Considering this isn't bringing any profit, does not charge, does not put TPCi or Nintendo in any negative light, I personally don't see too much risk in pursuing this. But as always, no one ever really knows.

Erm, does that mean there won't be any focus on platonic friendships with female characters? Also, you can't pursue male love interests?
For the former, I fully intend for the player character to befriend without romance involved. For the latter, the farthest I'm going with it is bromance for now. If I have time toward the end of this project, I can always squeeze in more scenarios, but it's not in the works at this time. I have a few ending scenario ideas that don't involve romance at all and are based on friendship, camaraderie, and all-around "warm feelings."

It's a topic that has come up quite a few times already, though, so it's something that I will keep in mind as the project develops. And if—big if—the project turns out to be popular enough in the future after completion, if there are any programmers who wish to continue the work, I will be more than happy to help create an option to play as a female character, which would more or less turn this into an otome game (or yuri-jam, however you want it). But that's definitely not in the works at the present time.

Lastly, it doesn't sound like there's much emphasis on the Pokemon, which is a shame since this is taking place in the Pokemon world. You don't necessarily have to incorporate catching and battling imo, but it would be nice to have to cultivate relationships with Pokemon as well. It would be pretty fitting with the slice-of-life nature of the narrative, and I personally always like seeing the relationships between humans and Pokemon.
Currently planned are a series of general activities you can participate in during your "free time." Most involve personal stat boosting through events and challenges, relationship building with characters, and exploration. I'm certain I can fit interactions with Pokemon anywhere on that list. For example, one way to increase affection points with other characters is for both members to own a Pokemon of the same species. That's a good excuse to place the Pokemon up front and center.

That's a good idea in general, though, so thanks for that.

I'm currently wrapping up the prologue, so once I get into the meat of the game, it should be interesting just how much I content I can stuff in during the initial development phase.

Again, thanks for the feedback and for asking.

Last edited:

VisualJae

Years
Flannery art done!
Spoiler:

Her character is meant to be on the hot-headed side. But as a nod toward her in-game character, she's making an effort to just be herself. Whatever she feels, she expresses.

Last edited:
Back