• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon TCG mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Has anyone been working on making a Pokémon TCG system in RMXP (either for Essentials or stand-alone)? If so, what kind of progress have you made? I feel like helping out with a project like that.

Otherwise, this can be a thread for the discussion of creating a Pokémon TCG system for RMXP. It's a big task, certainly, but I'm interested to see how much active support it could get (and by "active" I mean actually helping out, not "I'd like to see that" messages).

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
Years
I fully support this, I already thought about making a tcg game some years ago! Well, I can't help being a main developper or something because I don't have time and also because my coding is ugly and I'm not good at coding from scratch, I'm used to make modifications (heavy or not) to scripts. But you have my assistance on this if it gets started!

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
I saw some adepts on the past, but I don't know any that is still active. Maybe you can reuse some code from http://code.google.com/p/shoddytcg/ (isn't RPG Maker related).

Do you plan to cover which expansions? My TCG knowledge is limited, but I suggest you to use the Basic, Jungle and Fossil at first. You can find the resources from the two game boy games in http://www.spriters-resource.com/gameboy/poketcg/index.html and http://www.spriters-resource.com/gameboy/poketcg2/index.html, but I suggest you to use the real card pictures.

Maruno

Years
I told myself I wasn't going to start anything until discussion had happened and any previous attempts came to light. I told myself that was the sensible thing to do.

...Which is why I've started making my own code. Yeah.

So far I've come up with a compiler script which can read multiple PBS txt files (all txt files within the PBS\Cards folder), and compiles all the information in them. I've also created a card entity class, which is pretty pointless unless you want to make some cards 1st Edition or otherwise special (I wouldn't, and that will probably be discarded later for convenience). A card is referred to by its ID, which is the name of the txt file it appears in followed by its number (e.g. BASE42 for the card numbered 42 in the file BASE.txt); the ID is functionally identical to a Pokémon's internal name.

Now, much of a card's information isn't currently accepted by my scripts. So far, a card's PBS information looks like this:

Code:
[1]
CardType=BasicPokemon
CardSubtype=Dark
Name=Bulbasaur
Species=BULBASAUR
HP=4
Type=Grass
Weakness=Fire,0
Resistance=Water,1
RetreatCost=1
We need to come up with a decent layout for this, and make sure all the information is included.

The next thing to do will be to create a library (like $PokemonBag), a library viewer, and a way to create decks. Then we can worry about making the duel scene.

I saw some adepts on the past, but I don't know any that is still active. Maybe you can reuse some code from http://code.google.com/p/shoddytcg/ (isn't RPG Maker related).

Do you plan to cover which expansions? My TCG knowledge is limited, but I suggest you to use the Basic, Jungle and Fossil at first. You can find the resources from the two game boy games in http://www.spriters-resource.com/gameboy/poketcg/index.html and http://www.spriters-resource.com/gameboy/poketcg2/index.html, but I suggest you to use the real card pictures.
Some of the information on that website was useful, although I'd already thought about it myself by now.

The project should be able to accept every kind of card, which means all existing cards can be included. The only issues then are the graphics and the effects of moves/PokéPowers/etc. While things are being invented, we'll use various cards which showcase a particular feature (e.g. Pokémon-ex cards, Stadium cards, etc.), and not be restricted to certain sets.

What we really need now is art. Preferably designs for the duel and library/deck-builder screens. What should they look like? Card pictures are not important at the moment.

Another question to think about is: how accurate should it be? For example, Pokémon cards used to have Pokémon Powers, but they were then split into PokéPowers and PokéBodies. Should this kit support Pokémon Powers at all, or should the older cards be reworked to make them match the most current system? Another example is whether Stadium/Supporter cards should be their own types or a subtype of Trainer cards.

Years
To create a shuffled deck

Code:
# create deck here

deck = deck.shuffle

Why create a new PB file for the cards? Why not use the PBSpecies data and manipulate the stats there, more cards can be created faster like that. Although for stadium/Supporter cards would be the only use for this as items can also be taken out of the PBItems data.

and a card's id can be made like so:

Code:
# create a base 42 character code here
id = [put all needed statistics here].pack("42 chararacter string here")
main_id = "" 

# get the main id with the XXXX-XXXX-XXXX (and so forth)
for i in 0..id.length-1
  main_id += " "
  main_id[main_id.length-1] = id[i]
  if i % 4 == 0
    main_id += "-"
  end
end

I hope this helps a little bit.

I really am not a graphics designer so no help designing

Maruno

Years
I think you've very much misunderstood what this project is about. It's a video game recreation of the Pokémon Trading Card Game (TCG), not a made-up little thing I'm inventing myself. Everything you said (except for mentioning the shuffle method) is irrelevant.

Years
I think you've very much misunderstood what this project is about. It's a video game recreation of the Pokémon Trading Card Game (TCG), not a made-up little thing I'm inventing myself. Everything you said (except for mentioning the shuffle method) is irrelevant.

I thought you were implementing this into essentials, the id generation thing was because I thought the TCG had a key id which most card games have to determine a card.

Maruno

Years
If it does, those long codes are just passwords used to unlock particular cards, and they're that long to discourage people from just trying out random combinations.

This project needs clear IDs, so the user will know which cards they're working with. The set name plus number is the best solution.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2013
I was working on a Pokemon TCG game a while back, but have sadly abandoned it. I was using Game Maker though, not RPG Maker.

Maruno

Years
Even so, do you have any resources or concept art or notes or code you want to share?

this sounds like a good idea count me in.
And what exactly will you be bringing to this project if I count you in? Did you mean to say "I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with" instead?

mewlover22

Pokemon Creator
Years
Sorta i have a lot of knowledge on the Pokemon tcg and can give you an idea on what sets to use and more ideas like that i have played both gbc games and own of 500 Pokemon cards.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
And what exactly will you be bringing to this project if I count you in? Did you mean to say "I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with" instead?
You're smart, so you can find some use for these supporting people. If you can't, simply use them as testers. This without counting that Mewlover22 also has TCG knowledge that can be very useful. Even the feedback/opinions can be useful. The most important is the intention.

Maruno

Years
At the moment I need two main things: an idea of how things should look, and an idea of how things should work. The two are related, of course; one design for a Library screen will mean it should work in one way, while a different design will require it to work in a different way.

I need direction, a guide to what people want it to be like. Is the way the GBC game works suitable, or maybe a different approach inspired by Yu-Gi-Oh! or something? My only reference is the GBC game, which is obviously old stuff, and I want to know if there's a better way to go about it.

I don't want to waste a whole load of time making a questionnaire about as many facets of the game as I can think of, not least because I'll miss parts, and half of it will be technical. I just need to know what it should end up like, so that I know what I'm aiming for. I need a design document, which means I need to make a lot of decisions about how the game will work.

If you have any opinions about how any aspect of the game should be (card-acquiring, Library, deck-building, duels, AI, defining opponents, etc.), please let me know.

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
Years
At the moment I need two main things: an idea of how things should look, and an idea of how things should work. The two are related, of course; one design for a Library screen will mean it should work in one way, while a different design will require it to work in a different way.

I need direction, a guide to what people want it to be like. Is the way the GBC game works suitable, or maybe a different approach inspired by Yu-Gi-Oh! or something? My only reference is the GBC game, which is obviously old stuff, and I want to know if there's a better way to go about it.

I don't want to waste a whole load of time making a questionnaire about as many facets of the game as I can think of, not least because I'll miss parts, and half of it will be technical. I just need to know what it should end up like, so that I know what I'm aiming for. I need a design document, which means I need to make a lot of decisions about how the game will work.

If you have any opinions about how any aspect of the game should be (card-acquiring, Library, deck-building, duels, AI, defining opponents, etc.), please let me know.

Maruno, I think the old GBC game worked well enough, BUT there is a japan-only TCG game for the DS. Take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1_nqYeBU40

If we do it using the mouse it will be very easy to mimic the mechanics shown in the video. Graphics wise, we should go for the regular 4th gen style I guess... We are already used to it and it's pretty easy to edit etc.

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 23, 2021
If you need my help, just send me a message. I've been playing the Pokémon TCG competitively (playing tournaments :p) for the past three years.

Maruno

Years
I'll have a look at Asobikata. The main issue with mimicking that is that it's very much made for a dual screen. Some kind of mixture of that and the GBC game may be the way forward.

P-Sign, I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions for you. Mostly mechanics-based, I think.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2013
Even so, do you have any resources or concept art or notes or code you want to share?

I don't have any real useful code to share... I only got as far as making the general movement and the card library/deck builder. And it was in Game Maker, so it wouldn't be useful to somebody trying to make an RPG Maker game. And to be honest, I don't know where the files for it are anymore or if I've even still got them.

But I was able to find these 3 screenshots in the thread I made for it:
tcg_screen012.png

tcg_screen02.png

tcg_screen002.png

The game was going to have a structure more similar to a traditional Pokemon game, rather than the structure of the GBC TCG game. You'd earn money from defeating trainers and gym leaders, which you'd be able to use at stores to buy booster packs or individual cards. There would be 8 gym leaders, as well as an Elite Four.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back