• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Total Revamp of Old Pokemon Stats?

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
It might seem a bit Farfetch'd, but with Pokemon XY being an "evolution" for the series, do you think the older Pokemon will get a "revamp" in their stats/abilities to help them catch up to the newer, generally more powerful Pokemon? I know some older players complain about "power creep" in the Pokemon series; do you think this sort of revamp will happen in X and Y? If no, why not? If yes, how so? Discuss the possibilities!

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
It might seem a bit Farfetch'd, but with Pokemon XY being an "evolution" for the series, do you think the older Pokemon will get a "revamp" in their stats/abilities to help them catch up to the newer, generally more powerful Pokemon? I know some older players complain about "power creep" in the Pokemon series; do you think this sort of revamp will happen in X and Y? If no, why not? If yes, how so? Discuss the possibilities!

As Long as they can make it so they Are Revamped and still allow us to Migrate from Older Gens then I can Refrain from Throwing Bricks at Game Freak

blue

gucci
Years
This has never really bothered me, I've always saw the Pokemon to be levelly balanced excluding those with extremely high total stats.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Eh... I wouldn't mind seeing some of the most blatantly shafted Pokemon get a bump (Ledian's base 35 Atk, for instance), but I wouldn't want to see GF make sweeping changes to the stats, and I don't think it's likely that they'll do anything at all to them. If anything - if they want to help out a currently low-statted pokemon - I'd assume they'll do what they've done in the past and just give it another evolution.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
I'm hoping for a mechanics overhaul that will include a healthy nudge up for some of the Pokemon that have fallen to the wayside. Whether it be direct changes to their base stats or a new IV or EV system that lets Pokemon get bulkier than they seem today, I don't really care.

If there are mechanics changes, I think slowing down the metagame should be the first priority. I think the side effects of doing that would help the neglected Pokemon be more viable on its own.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I hope they don't, cause that could cause a problem with migrating/trading. They changed the IV/EV system in gen III and added natures, and since gen I and II Pokemon didn't meet that, we couldn't send them over. It'd suck to have gone three generations with some of our Pokemon and then not be able to get them to the latest and greatest. Boy, that must be how a lot of people felt when gen III came out!

Anyway, if they're gonna revamp anything on older Pokemon, at least give them new moves that better suit them. Flareon is crying for Flare Blitz. Can you hear it? I can. It's depressing.

dragonnathan025

Pokemon Breeder
Years
Watch as they make a Dragon-type equivalent to Flare Blitz or Close Combat. Outrage replacement, anyone?

Anyway, they'll probably add a couple new features, e.i. making it easier to affect IVs/make it easier to gain EVs without a hack, but they will probably just make some new moves that go with what they have.

I have to say, if they make evasiveness a stat that you can alter and EV train, I'm not playing the games.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I was thinking about this earlier! Although it'd realllllly mess with cross-compatibility, I think that given that this is a totally new platform, this'd be great. Over time and especially in the 5th generation I really feel like older Pokémon have been losing out to newer ones in terms of base stats. They've now got an opportunity to fix that and I really, really hope that they do so.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
They're unlikely to change anything. If there's one thing Gamefreak likes, it's consistency. That's why we got incense for breeding, for one. Pokémon stats haven't (really) changed since Gen 1, although there has been some creeping going on.

On the other hand, I'm sure it'll become even easier to find out in-game what your Pokémon's hidden stats are. Perhaps there will even be items which affect IVs this time.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
If anything, Wigglytuff needs more love in stats. =( Or any one of those "jack of trades but master of none" pokemon.

If not, then yeah, it'd be... kind of tricky to keep track of new stats~

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
I hope they don't, cause that could cause a problem with migrating/trading. They changed the IV/EV system in gen III and added natures, and since gen I and II Pokemon didn't meet that, we couldn't send them over. It'd suck to have gone three generations with some of our Pokemon and then not be able to get them to the latest and greatest. Boy, that must be how a lot of people felt when gen III came out!

Anyway, if they're gonna revamp anything on older Pokemon, at least give them new moves that better suit them. Flareon is crying for Flare Blitz. Can you hear it? I can. It's depressing.

Changing stats of certain Pokemon wouldn't likely cause that too happen Again I suppose. Also technology have developed since Generation II-III, I bet they can make do with Pokemon migration even when some of the old formula drastically changed.

So yeah, some old Pokemon need their stats to be revamp. Look at Nidoking, its have total stats of 495. A Pokemon with king on its name only got 495? Seriously they should increase it to around 520.

Yeah and Move too. I can't see why Shiftry can't use Leaf Blade with their hands. Some moves limitation are just ridiculous.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
You'd have to admit that Pokémon stats are so well past as of Gen 5 that we're kinda in need of a re-balance of the old Pokémon. But then, what would that mean for the Pokémon we migrate from older games? Trainer X's Tyranitar will have better stats than an equivalently trained Tyranitar from Trainer G's.

That's assuming that migration is still a thing. Which, given the amount of expansion they've done via stuff like the Dream World and all, is almost a given but there's a very slim chance that they won't include it or that it'll be there but not as expected. Either that or the base stats would be re-done after migration to bring the older Tyranitar up to speed, which I think is more likely.

...of course the whole base stat change is unlikely for now, but still! I feel like they're gonna have to revamp base stats, or at least how the bast stat system works, eventually since soon enough similar Pokémon are gonna start becoming redundant alongside each other. It's already happening to an extent after some stuff introduced in the 5th generation imo. Now's as good a time as any to shake them up.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

^^ Yep. They are gonna have to revamp it sooner or later, and I believe it's better sooner rather than later. They don't have to "revamp" it so to speak, just touch it up here and there and it would be fine.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I think some of you are forgetting GS did this to the Kanto pokemon after the Special Stat was split and gen 1 and 2 were compatible.
If they're revamping stats I hope it's only gimmick pokemon, bug types, and the local roddent line.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I don't know. I mean it would be great but then it would mess up everything we've learned like, "This Pokemon is really frail/specially defensive/fast" because it would change everything. I think they would have to do it eventually though. I don't really have an opinion on this though as it could be really good but then again we would lose the ability to transfer over, which would suck.

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2013
I think some of you are forgetting GS did this to the Kanto pokemon after the Special Stat was split and gen 1 and 2 were compatible.
If they're revamping stats I hope it's only gimmick pokemon, bug types, and the local roddent line.

Only in my dreams, is Ledian a viable Pokemon :<

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
I don't really think stat will get changed, unless generation 6 is really overpowered. I'm pretty sure that they will let you migrate pokemon from previous games, and it can get all mixed up. Of course if they stop migration, the reason would probably be because they want to change base stats, or at least thats what I think. But for now, I think pokemon are pretty balanced, and they only really need to change abilities and moves.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
I really hope not, not every Pokemon should be on the same level, that would just ruin the ecology of the Pokemon world - prey would be able to take out its own predators, so carnivores would begin to starve and die out and also I'm putting too much thought into this.

But please no.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
NO PLEASE NO. That'd destroy the competitive tiers we know and confuse everyone and ruin everything and just please no. :( I think stats are totally fine as they are now and I'll be disappointed if they change.

Back