• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sword Art Online

Years
Sword Art Online

39717l.jpg

In the year 2022, the Virtual reality Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (VRMMORPG) Sword Art Online (SAO) is released. With the Nerve Gear, a VR Helmet that stimulates the user's five senses via their brain, players can experience and control their in-game characters with their minds. But an unexpected event occurs on November 6, 2022 when Akihiko Kayaba, the creator of SAO, prevents the players from logging out. Akihiko issues them a challenge; if they wish to be free and log out of the game, they must reach the 100th floor of the game's tower and defeat the final boss. However, should their avatars die in the game, so will their bodies in the real world. As the game's 10,000 players try to accept their new deadly predicament, Kirito, a skilled player who tested the beta version of the game, is determined to reach the 100th floor and be free. Along with Asuna, his partner and love interest, and their friends, Kirito and his allies will face many obstacles and discovers the true purpose of SAO. As their adventure continues, they will also participate in other VRMMO games as well.

Well, for the past week I've read through all 9 translated Light Novel Volumes and I can say this is top notch stuff.

A lot of people keep on comparing it to .Hack, which ironically was developed around the time the light novel was being published online in 2002.

As for the Anime, the first episode has been quite true to the source material. But based on calculations, some of the side stories may be shortened to keep within episode limits.

Still it's pretty emotional and philosophical at times. I do recommend it.

Last edited:

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
Years
Oh good, I was waiting for someone to make a thread. I was going to when the episode aired on Saturday... but got lazy.

Anyways, the first episode was really promising and I don't have as many doubts as most of the community seem to about the quality. I'm still not sure why people are complaining about the one thing that's similar to .hack, though. I mean, so many anime rip off each other time and time again, yet the trapped-in-an-MMO thing has only really been used by SAO and .hack in anime.

Years
Looks interesting, but it'll be a few more days before I'm able to watch it. CRUNCHYROOOOOOOOOLL *shakes fist*

Guess I'll read the light novels in the meantime.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Considering how much I hate the guys other series I wasn't even going to give this a second glance, then I saw Yuki Kajiura on the staff. Well that changes everything, will at least give it a try when it's over.....or download the OST without watching.

Also, why do all the girls look like Inori?

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
Ya, I read through the most of the translated light novels sometime in the middle of the school year, and got pretty pumped at the anime announcement. I expect the order will end up being Intro, Aria in the Starless Night (Kirito meets Asuna + 1st floor boss), Volume 2 in chronological order, and finish up volume 1, which I'm seeing as probably 12 - 13 episodes, which means that the chances that we get to Fairy Dance are pretty high, though unfortunately probably no Phantom Bullet (in which I hope they do their research if they do it)

My biggest issue is that there IS a harem that ends up forming around Kirito, though the fact that Kawahara Reki already apologized for that in the author notes for v.2, and the later events of volume 1 let me forgive that.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Quick question to those that have read it. Is it going to be this season's Guilty Crown? You know, completley random character actions, lot's of row row fight the power moments, perhaps a hint of trolling. As I said in my previous post the music will be great, just weighing up the pros and cons of watching it weekly.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Tried to respond to this earlier but my internet died >:[.

First episode was really good! I hope the others are more action-y :3 It's certainly different to most other anime I watch.

Years
Oh good, I was waiting for someone to make a thread. I was going to when the episode aired on Saturday... but got lazy.

Anyways, the first episode was really promising and I don't have as many doubts as most of the community seem to about the quality. I'm still not sure why people are complaining about the one thing that's similar to .hack, though. I mean, so many anime rip off each other time and time again, yet the trapped-in-an-MMO thing has only really been used by SAO and .hack in anime.

I waited until I actually caught up with the published stuff before doing this just in case. XD

Yeah, I think it's just people trying to be elitist about the whole thing. Heck I liked the .Hack series in general (Hence the Azure in my username from "Balmung of the Azure Sky") but I'm trying to judge each by their own merits.

Also, why do all the girls look like Inori?

It's animated by A-1 studios but produced by Aniplex...that's the only connection I can make. Although artists do borrow designs at times. You can compare the Light Novel Illustrations though if you'd like.

Ya, I read through the most of the translated light novels sometime in the middle of the school year, and got pretty pumped at the anime announcement. I expect the order will end up being Intro, Aria in the Starless Night (Kirito meets Asuna + 1st floor boss), Volume 2 in chronological order, and finish up volume 1, which I'm seeing as probably 12 - 13 episodes, which means that the chances that we get to Fairy Dance are pretty high, though unfortunately probably no Phantom Bullet (in which I hope they do their research if they do it)

My biggest issue is that there IS a harem that ends up forming around Kirito, though the fact that Kawahara Reki already apologized for that in the author notes for v.2, and the later events of volume 1 let me forgive that.

The calculations in other places I've seen is that 15 Episodes could be SAO while the rest of the 11 Episodes slated would be ALO. Pretty much gives ample time for some Volume 2 Side Stories.

Yeah, but Kirito x Asuna is the OTP by WOG after all. Heck the whole reason for ALO is because of this. XD

Still the author DOES poke fun at this harem in "There is but one ultimate way" non-canon side-story. XDDD

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
Quick question to those that have read it. Is it going to be this season's Guilty Crown? You know, completley random character actions, lot's of row row fight the power moments, perhaps a hint of trolling. As I said in my previous post the music will be great, just weighing up the pros and cons of watching it weekly.

Well, easy way to put it is that Guilty Crown was an original story, while Sword Art Online is a light novel series. So no, no poorly built wooden rollercoaster here.

Years
So novels can't be written poorly?

Not this particular novel, no.

I rarely if ever speed read novels, but this was a rare case where it had the right balance between action scenes, philosophical musings and emotional events to hold my attention. Oh...and the main criticism is the harem that forms around Kirito, but he's a type 2-B so it kinda makes sense. Although there is an OTP by WOG, and it's a pretty awesome relationship.

Plus as I said, the way the author writes is pretty engaging. Still if the Anime doesn't pan out for you, try the Light Novel.

But to each their own I guess, I'm just a huge Sci-Fi and MMORPG person so this series touched the right nerves for me.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
So novels can't be written poorly?

Poorly written novels have a tendency to not make it to the point of getting an anime for being, well, poorly written. Mostly threw that down there since I didn't have stats immediately on hand, and wanted to note that it indeed has consistency. It also doesn't really help much if i just say "It's good" and didn't have any rankings on hand at the time.

So I finally found a ranking for light novels to use as a statistic. Sword Art online was ranked as the #4 light novel in 2011, and rose to #1 in 2012, probably due to the anime announcement and anticipation. In addition, for MAL's top manga list (take that as you will), SAO (light novel) holds the rank of #7 at an average rating of 9.01 of 825 users as of now.

Also, a PSP game got announced.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Poorly written novels have a tendency to not make it to the point of getting an anime for being, well, poorly written.

I wish that were the case but it's just not. Let's take the Index series, it's not good writing but it's entertaining, it has lots of girls in skimpy clothing and a guy travelling the world punching people in the face. Anime studios want to make money. Could they pick up genuinely well written books and adapt them? yes but that doesn't even break even for them.

As for your point about rankings, well they're almost redundant. I'm pretty sure the MAL community rate Steins;Gate as the 3rd best anime of all time or something silly like that. lol. Same goes for your wiki LN list, like anime most people buy because of the pretty characters and not the actual quality of the writing.

*looks a bit further into the novel rankings link*
Mikoto Misaka best ranked female character 3 years running. Splendid.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
I wish that were the case but it's just not. Let's take the Index series, it's not good writing but it's entertaining, it has lots of girls in skimpy clothing and a guy travelling the world punching people in the face. Anime studios want to make money. Could they pick up genuinely well written books and adapt them? yes but that doesn't even break even for them.

As for your point about rankings, well they're almost redundant. I'm pretty sure the MAL community rate Steins;Gate as the 3rd best anime of all time or something silly like that. lol. Same goes for your wiki LN list, like anime most people buy because of the pretty characters and not the actual quality of the writing.

*looks a bit further into the novel rankings link*
Mikoto Misaka best ranked female character 3 years running. Splendid.

Figured you'd throw "people have bad taste so it's unreliable" -_- You seem pretty insistent on believing that this will be the worst series this season :/ You've already stated that you didn't like Accel World and don't like the character designs, so you're obviously coming in with bad vibes. Is there anything we can say to possibly change your mind? I'll state that I believe that this show will be better than Guilty Crown in terms of consistency, so I can answer your question there, and as far as power moments of the main character, you may have an issue with that he's abnormally powerful compared to most other characters, but can be justifiable due to his character being a game addict and constantly powerleveling between stories.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
I can assure you there are 4 or 5 things airing this season that I thought would be worse than Sword Art Online reading the chart, none of those titles have been hyped this much though.

It's not even a bad taste thing, it's just MAL's love for all things new and shiny thing that makes it not reliable. Well, that and the fact they rate Steins;Gate as the 3rd best anime of all time and AnoHana in the top 20.

Well, if the hype continues I guess I'll try this sometime. Yeah, I'll do a double marathon and watch it with another of the best light novel adaptations of all time ever Fate/Zero.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
The calculations in other places I've seen is that 15 Episodes could be SAO while the rest of the 11 Episodes slated would be ALO. Pretty much gives ample time for some Volume 2 Side Stories.

Yeah, but Kirito x Asuna is the OTP by WOG after all. Heck the whole reason for ALO is because of this. XD

Still the author DOES poke fun at this harem in "There is but one ultimate way" non-canon side-story. XDDD

But ya, the 12-13 estimate was so it can end the season with a good conclusion, and open up Fairy Dance in the Fall 2012 season.

My estimate for the storyline will be as so: (spoiler tags mostly for chrono order and names of the stories, otherwise harmless)
Spoiler:

Years
But ya, the 12-13 estimate was so it can end the season with a good conclusion, and open up Fairy Dance in the Fall 2012 season.

My estimate for the storyline will be as so: (spoiler tags mostly for chrono order and names of the stories, otherwise harmless)
Spoiler:

Well...

Spoiler:

@Lapras: Funny because LiSA also sings the OP for this series LOL.

Last edited:

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
Years
The first episode was really good. I'm a big fan of both games and anime, so I've always liked the idea of a VR type game/system where it's like you're there in the game. So when I saw this (or maybe David told me, who knows) it was on my watch list right then.
And with the whole "If you die here you're dead" thing that'd be hard to swallow if you were one of them 10,000 people. If they have healers then I can see them being in very very high demand. And as someone who plays as a healer on MMOs it's not a role I'd want to play on SAO. You messed up, that person died... you killed them. Yea... no pressure...

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, anyone who's seen Guilty Crown knows how that ended. And most of us thought it was going to be one of them great shows. And by the end... yea.

Oh and I loved the OP to SAO. I don't know how many times I've seen it now.

Now here's what I'm wondering... Lapras why are you still replying to the thread? You said "give it a try when it's over.....or download the OST without watching.", and that should have been it. You just care about the music, or just want to watch it all at once. All you're doing now is putting down other series. Putting down Index, putting down Steins;Gate, AnoHana and by the sound of it Fate/Zero. And then you go off on the ratings on MAL "Well Steins;Gate is 3rd... these people clearly don't know what the heck they're talking about. lolololololol". Why do you think your opinion on things carry more weight then others? You've pointed out Steins;Gate twice in this thread, my opinion is... it should be higher up the list. You're quick to dismiss the views of others so I'm going to dismiss yours right there with your Steins;Gate views. And on top of that... anyone who gives this a 10/10 clearly knows what they're talking about when it comes to ratings...
So if you're going to watch Sword Art Online then good, have fun with it. If not then why reply to the thread over and over and bash other series while you're at it? Do you find joy in pissing off other people who like shows such as AnoHana, Index, and Steins;Gate?

Years
The first episode was really good. I'm a big fan of both games and anime, so I've always liked the idea of a VR type game/system where it's like you're there in the game. So when I saw this (or maybe David told me, who knows) it was on my watch list right then.

Same here actually, my dream for Pokemon was a VRMMO just as it is portrayed here. Heck I loved .Hack! XD

I first found out about this series over some fan comics a month ago and was like "is this a game?" it wasn't until LiSA's concert last Sunday in Anime Expo that I became curious enough to look for the Manga -> Light Novel. Kinda happy I chose SAO instead of "Kore wa...something something Zombie" I'll watch this too, but after all the other stuff. xP

I love her Engrish. "Sold Out Online" HAHAHAHA xDDD

And with the whole "If you die here you're dead" thing that'd be hard to swallow if you were one of them 10,000 people. If they have healers then I can see them being in very very high demand. And as someone who plays as a healer on MMOs it's not a role I'd want to play on SAO. You messed up, that person died... you killed them. Yea... no pressure...

There's no Magic in this series, it's all potion based and inate skills based for healing. But the topic of "I hid my true self and messed up, that person died... I killed them" becomes a huge theme.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, anyone who's seen Guilty Crown knows how that ended. And most of us thought it was going to be one of them great shows. And by the end... yea.

Oh and I loved the OP to SAO. I don't know how many times I've seen it now.

Well it has the Light Novels as Source material, unlike Guilty Crown which was a totally new story that was being scripted at the same time as animated...So if the Studio messes this up, go to the Light Novels. I loved it. And yeah LiSA is so awesome, such great music. I WANT FULL VERSION NAO.

Although I doubt it due to the Director's Interview: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anime-spotlight/2012/summer/sword-art-online

Director Tomohiko Ito said:
How was the original author, Kawahara-sensei involved with the anime?

First of all, he joined us for nearly every one of our script meetings. There were times he couldn't attend due to a cold, but otherwise he joined us for all of them. He did more than just answer our questions for his opinion, and we were very grateful for the way he joined us as a member of script development. He also decided on a lot of things that hadn't appeared in the original work, like town names, for us, and giving us detailed explanations of Kirito's equipment stats. He even had names for each of the default equipment Kirito wore when he first logged in to the virtual world (smile). We were also happy that Kawahara-san took the initiative to tell us all these things.

So yeah I have great hopes for this adaptation.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Now here's what I'm wondering... Lapras why are you still replying to the thread? You said "give it a try when it's over.....or download the OST without watching.", and that should have been it. You just care about the music, or just want to watch it all at once. All you're doing now is putting down other series.

I'm still replying because I realised I had something else to ask, I asked it and conversation sprouted. It couldn't be helped.

Putting down Index, putting down Steins;Gate, AnoHana and by the sound of it Fate/Zero. And then you go off on the ratings on MAL "Well Steins;Gate is 3rd... these people clearly don't know what the heck they're talking about. lolololololol".

Although I do enjoy laughing at those with plebeian taste in cartoons this time I was giving some personal opinion. If I offended you for not liking the same shows I am truly, deeply sorry. By the way I also recall saying I enjoyed Index despite the poor writing, as I did with Steins;Gate actually.

Why do you think your opinion on things carry more weight then others? You've pointed out Steins;Gate twice in this thread, my opinion is... it should be higher up the list. You're quick to dismiss the views of others so I'm going to dismiss yours right there with your Steins;Gate views.

I value my opinion higher than that of others because it is mine, isn't that natural?

And on top of that... anyone who gives this a 10/10 clearly knows what they're talking about when it comes to ratings...

I'm going to take a wild guess and presume you're not watching this. I'm only scoring it 10 because MAL won't go higher.

Also wasn't this comment somewhat childish? You're complaining at me for trying to backhandedly
piss off other people who like shows such as AnoHana, Index, and Steins;Gate

And then doing exactly the same directly. It hurts that you would attack me like that. To be honest with you it would be a lot more acceptable if were a usual member but you are upper management and should be setting an example.

Back