• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] ♣A N E W D A W N♣

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
Well, I wanted some critiques on my Art, so here they are, enjoy!

anyone_can_shine__by_ali_abdi-d4mzi53.png
zack_is_rising_up__by_ali_abdi-d4kd5tf.png
gift_for_lunast_by_ali_abdi-d4k2r1f.png
pro___bro__by_ali_abdi-d39v6pk.png
__tehe___by_ali_abdi-d39t38m.png

Criticism is appreciated!

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
Hey!

I think you're on the right track. You could use some study on realistic shading, but you will steadily improve as long as you keep practising.

My suggestion is to just look at a picture you love, and blatantly try to copy it. Obviously if you share it you should give credit to the original artist, but it's just for you to learn how to get the look you desire.

Good luck!

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
Hey!

I think you're on the right track. You could use some study on realistic shading, but you will steadily improve as long as you keep practising.

My suggestion is to just look at a picture you love, and blatantly try to copy it. Obviously if you share it you should give credit to the original artist, but it's just for you to learn how to get the look you desire.

Good luck!

Ah, thank you! I will hopefully improve from this, one day.

And thank you for the advice, I'll try it!

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Not really an expert in drawing, but I think you need to work on your shading. Try to imagine the light source in your head and think about how the light would affect your character's shading. That might help. The second one probably has the best shading out of the bunch, but the work, overall, feels a little plain.

And your drawing, in general, will improve a lot with practice. So yeah, just continue. ;]

Years
Hey there, I'm so glad to see you posted an art gallery thread!

I really like the glow effect of Sunkern's Solarbeam. It really does look just like a beam of light, so you did a pretty great job on that. Love the apparent meaning behind your first two images, too. :D Your last image looks inspired by KiwiesRule over on DeviantART; I can see a few style similarities, here's hoping it's not just me being blind, hehe.

One thing I definitely recommend though is to try and work on more unique poses! Yours look a bit stiff and blocky as they are. I recommend Pose Emporium, it's a pretty great resource. n_n Good luck and please update soon~!

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
Hey there, I'm so glad to see you posted an art gallery thread!

I really like the glow effect of Sunkern's Solarbeam. It really does look just like a beam of light, so you did a pretty great job on that. Love the apparent meaning behind your first two images, too. :D Your last image looks inspired by KiwiesRule over on DeviantART; I can see a few style similarities, here's hoping it's not just me being blind, hehe.

One thing I definitely recommend though is to try and work on more unique poses! Yours look a bit stiff and blocky as they are. I recommend Pose Emporium, it's a pretty great resource. n_n Good luck and please update soon~!

Why thank you Cirno on this, I know I've been pretty bad at the poses, but maybe using this pose-emporium, I can do better! And yes, the last one was inspired by KiwiesRuleXD. I'll keep you updated on my progress!

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
your drawings are awesome (: idk if you wanted the text plain, but i would work on making fancier text! also, try to make your lines blend in. the gray/black lines you use to draw kinda bother me that it shows.
keep practicing~

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
Thank you!

I'll still trying a lot to brush up on my skills, and critiques are really appreciated.

chespin_by_ali_abdi-d5r49np.jpg

Trying the sugimori style type.
froakie_by_ali_abdi-d5r8a0c.png

Tried the painterly style (The type I actually want to learn.)

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I like the drawing of, um, the Pokemon in the grass hat. You're clearly not bad at this, and if I compare what you've just posted to what's at the top, I can see a difference as far as improvements. I feel like you can really only go up from here.

Not let's get into detail. The One Who Wears The Hat, you know it'd take less time for me to just look the name up, has really clean lineart, and the only spot that it's a bit off kilter is on its left arm (we're looking to the right). I sort of feel like you know this already. The shading style does feel like something Sugimorit would do, I think you acheived that. However, Sugimori doesn't seem to use black outlines. At least as far as I can recall. The only thing I'd say that isn't pointing out the obvious is that I would've used a hard brush to place the white highlights on the eyes. As of now, it's just a bit fuzzy.

Now, is Froakie wearing a jetpack or something? :P Looks kind of funny (in a haha way) thinking about it like that. I'd've made the mouth more clear overall, but otherwise, to learn a painterly style requires a tutorial, an instructor, or just really really good intuition. It's really really hard to explain how to do right off, especially in text, and I don't have all the firmest graspings of it myself, despite knowing how to do it technically (I'm super stressing "technically", because I can, but almost always choose not to, so I'm much less skilled at it than people who do it as their preferred illustration choice). It's going to require a willingness to experiment at first, sort of get a feel for different brushes, and the effect that they have, and knowing what textures look good and where and why. It's also going to take a lot of time to go in and really start digging away at the details depending on the level of realism you want (even a more abstract painting still requires going over it with details).

Also, look into color theory and color harmony if and when you get a chance. You may not understand it at its fullest right away, but once you do, you'll love it. Check out this gamut mask:

http://www.livepaintinglessons.com/gamutmask.php

Usually when people do a painterly style, they often use only a certain range of colors, and then those that add an effect of brilliance (brightness) to a piece, or will set a mood.

That's the best I can do to give you an idea. There's also many tutorials out there, but everybody teaches a different style, and at that, they're teaching you their methods. Because there is no one way to do things, it gets messy, so I'd try to find someone who matches your level of understanding first. You can always work your way up from there once you have a foundation of how everything works.

Back