• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Whirlipede vs Garbodor!

It doesn't matter which smells better!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
Right, so here we have two poison types whose primary function is to set up on the opponent with a barrage of spikes/toxic spikes. These things were made to poison!
544.gif
6219A.png
569.gif
So when you guys are weighing the options on our poison friends, please think about many different factors! Which one do you think is better at their job competitively (and they do very similar things) and which do you think has the better chance at achieving their goal? Also, which of the two pokemon do you prefer the design of (and also, who has the better shiny)? Which one of these would you use ingame? And if it came down to a fight, which one do you think would be victorious? Just like all matchups, these will run each week comparing pokemon from the same tier until all tiers and all pokemon are used up. If you want to know more about tiers, and more about how to effectively use these pokemon on your team, check out Battle Center! So which one will you vote for? Please post if you vote in the poll! :D

Last edited:

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I'll post in your thread Golurk, you went to so much effort.

I've used Garbodor before, and in my experience, I didn't enjoy using it. I haven't personally used a Whirlipede before, so I can't really judge it too well, but I have used a Swadloon before, and it went surprisingly well, and being it's opposite, it is only fair to assume Whirlipede would be similar. Although from what I hear, Garbodor did get much better in B2W2.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
Whirlipede! There's been a lot of hate about that big lump of trash like Garbodor (As mentioned in this thread). I don't mind Garbodor that much but I still think Whirlipede looks much cooler as its one of the few poison types that can roll!

Years
I picked Whirlipede obviously because I hate Garbodor's design. Also, Whirlipede has solid Defense and its Bug-type can be helpful against a few things. Garbodor obviously has much worse abilities too, while I had a better time with Whirlipede in-game.

Also, I do think Whirlipede will firm better competitively as well, especially with a Black Sludge or Eviolite equipped. Garbodor's only good for setting up Toxic Spikes, and that's all.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Garbodor. I don't care about its design at all; its stats are decent and its movepool allows for it to fill a couple of roles in an alright manner. The B2W2 move tutors helped it out a bit in that department. It's got the Poison typing curse, but so does Whirlipede and the latter's second typing gives it a few key weaknesses on top of that. I'd pick Garbodor over Whirlipede in any scenario, even if Eviolite was involved because Whirlipede's got a tiny HP pool and maxing that out would hurt one of its Eviolite-boosted stats.

Years
I absolutely love Whirlipede's design! It by far is my favorite of the intermediate stage bug pokemon, and possible one of the most creative, simple, and innovative intermediate stage pokemon across the board. In comparison to Garbador, it's no contest; Whirlipede wins hands-down!

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I have to say Garbador. I think it's pretty adorable, and has a great shiny version. The stats aren't too bad, and there are some good moves for it.

Sirfetch’d

This is a hard one to pick because both are very good at what they do, setting up entry hazards and poisoning the foe. Neither will be a Pokemon that does a lot of direct damage through attacks, but Garbodor can deal a little more damage with its useable attack and access to a few decent moves. However these are not meant for attacking, but to cripple the opponent's team with spikes and/or toxic spikes. I think more people chose Garbodor because overall it appears slightly better and has access to clear smog, but this may not be the case. Whirlipede has access to one of the greatest items in all of competitive play, Eviolite. When holding eviolite Whirlipede's already good defenses skyrocket especially its physical defense. With this it can set up entry hazards on a Pokemon that uses physical attacks at will. It can also use toxic of foes that arent affected by toxic spikes due to not being grounded. Switch Whirlipede in on Sawk and start setting up. While most may pick Garbodor, I would strongly consider picking Whirlipede because it can do a great job. I also think Whirlipede has the better designs and also the better shiny.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Whirlipede majority because of its design beats Garbodor's. I have used both at least once or twice in battle, and have had to battle against them too. For me using them, Whirlepe was much better. Having to battle against me, I had lots of trouble beating both, on that one both tie.

Overall Whirlipede wins against Garbodor. In my game both are in the PC box, why? look at my trainer's card in my signature, I love those better.

Last edited:
Years
I apologize for sounding rude, but c'mon guys Garbodor is currently one of the best spikes setters in NU (competing with Roselia). Whirlipede has no offensive presence, and Garbodor's typing leaves it with some great resistances and no SR weakness. Honestly, if you're using Whirlipede over Garbodor, there's not much you can dish out besides a Toxic. And yes, garby is cute.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
This is actually a pretty hard decision honestly ;;. If you had asked me the same question a year ago, I would of instantly said Whirlipede but now that I think hard enough about it, I actually can't decide which one I like better out of the two. I used to hate Garbodor's design, I thought it was trashy (no puns intended :]) and just awful, but it's starting to grow on me actually! I think it;s adorable,those eyes and I know some people will say 'Oh it's uncreative and stupid!" but really, then again each generation has its flaws in design and creativity, so that's what I have to say.

For Whirlipede, personally I'm also rather fond of it, I recently started using Venipede and actually I must say it's a strong one! :D. I highly underestimated it and I was wrong for doing so ;;, also it's design is pretty cool. Although competitively I don't think it would be too good unless it held an Eviolite or something, even then it's still pretty bad. :(. Although in-game its wonderful! :3.

Aaand as for Garbodor competitively well, it's actually brilliant! I'm disagreeing with you Hikari, honestly Garbodor is great. It can set up Toxic Spikes,Spikes and lots more, also it learns some neat poison moves. Overall I think my vote goes to Garbodor this time!

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Gardobor all the way! I completely loved it when I used it first time. It had Gunk Shot and Body Slam for most attacking and Toxic Spikes and Swallow for denfense and poisoning the opponent.

Years
Now based on designs, I'd have to go with Whirlipede. It's like a rolli polli (oli) and looks pretty awesome, I mean who doesn't like a bug-tire? Garbodor is cool, but idk the pigtails are just a little weird haha. Whirlipede definitely has garbodor beat in terms of shiny coloration, as it's way cooler with those blue rings! However, I think Garbodor is MUCH better in anything concerning usability. I haven't used garbodor ingame, but just it being fully evolved gives it a major advantage. And if they were to battle, I think garbodors movepool is better (along with stats) so it'd be victorious. And garbodor is MUCH better competitively, as whirlipede always dies after like 2 hits even with eviolite, while garbodor can stick around to set a bunch of things up.

So my vote goes to garbodor!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I went with Garbodor because I've used it in NU. I tried Whirlipede and it was really useless, whereas Garbodor is actually good at what it does. They suck to battle against each other but as for what I'd use, Garbodor all the way. n_n

Mr. Whiscash

Unegged Hatch
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2016
You are giving me an impossible choice. Scolipede is one of my favorite pokemon of all time, but I don't really care that much about Whirlipede, whereas I really like Garbodor but it isn't related to my favorite at all! I have to go with Garbodor, a criminally underrated pokemon, though Whirlipede did give it a run for its money.

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2013
I'd probably say Whirlipede even though i like both, I think Whirlipedes design and evolution is much neater and more appealing. Although i wouldn't toss Garbodor out to the garbage (lol) because i do think he's a interesting pokemon and i wouldn't hesitate to use him. But overall Whirlipede gets my vote!

Back