• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Ugliest fully evolved gen1 Pokemon

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
What the title says! Basically state some original mons who you find to be really unattractive or ugly or whatnot.

Oh and btw, this isn't about the sprites, just the mons themselves.

Last edited:
Years
Ugly is a strong word. I'm not a genwunner, but I don't think anybody is ugly really. At worse you might see a design that was not as creative as it could be like Electrode, but not so much ugly.

The Pokemon I dislike the most from gen 1 is Mr. Mime. Creepy moreso than ugly, but if I need to pick one of the original 151 he comes closest for me.

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
lol, you ever take a good look at 1st gen Exeggutor's front sprite?
... now that was one dang ugly poke back in the old school days. xD

But beyond sprite graphics tbh, I wouldn't consider any "ugly" themselves.
- Well, maybe ugly Poke Dex data entry...
... but yeah, same thing.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
If we're going for fugly Pokemon in Kanto... hmm Lickitung comes close for me. The idea of a Pokemon revolving around a Tongue... *shivers*. Jynx is up there too.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 24, 2022
I always hated Charizard's sprite in gen 1.
But I've always thought Dragonite was a let down as well.
Dratini and Dragonair were well designed as far as sprites go.
Pidgeot was the ultimate poorly designed sprite in gen1 imo.

Talking about actual mons.
I've always thought Parasect & Golem were poorly drawn.

None of these are ugly. But the lack of creativity is there imo.

Last edited:
Years
Sprite-wise I would say Mewtwo, Scyther and Fearow have really weird ones

But after all these years, I think I already got used to all Pokémon's designs.

Years
  • Seen today
122.png
124.png

Mr. Mime and Jynx. Nevertheless, still better looking than most that have been made since.

Last edited:
Years
This is actually starting to become a lot harder than I thought to answer, but the closest Pokemon that comes to mind is Aerodactyl. I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it flat out ugly, though. Just slightly less visually appealing than most others in the generation.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
I actually don't find any Gen 1 Pokemon ugly. However, there are a few Pokemon with designs that don't appeal to me: Metapod, Gloom, and the Voltorb line. Metapod looks like its facial attributes are positioned weirdly. If you look at its official artwork, you can see that it looks like it has a nose on its back. Gloom is always drooling, and not that cute compared to the rest of its line. And Voltorb and Electrode are just Poké Balls with faces.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Bumping this because why not. Oh and like the title says try to do fully evolved mons and try not to mention sprites, unless you really cant think of anything. There is also no need to take this thread seriously.

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
Bumping this because why not. Oh and like the title says try to do fully evolved mons and try not to mention sprites, unless you really cant think of anything. There is also no need to take this thread seriously.

but most the sprites really do suck in 1st gen though.... :p

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
lol, you ever take a good look at 1st gen Exeggutor's front sprite?
... now that was one dang ugly poke back in the old school days. xD

More terrifying than ugly, imo.

For me, the least visually-appealing fully-evolved Gen. I Pokémon would have to be Weezing. It makes sense, though — pollution isn't supposed to be pretty!

Fully-evolved Pokémon aside, I've always had a certain distaste for Nidorina.

Last edited:
Years
I like the Pokémon that are pretty much animals or monsters. Ones that resemble inanimate objects really bug me. So you know, Voltorb, Electrode, Magnemite, Magneton etc.

Years
I don't think that any Pokémon is "ugly", but I find Exeggutor's sprite in the original Red and Blue to be creepy.

It's one of my fav mons from Gen 1, but Arceus, just look at this sprite.

Spr_1b_103.png

Back