• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help with competitive team? ????

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Help with competitive team? 😅

This is my team so far and the pokemon I really want to use:
Jellicent;Calm, Leftovers
Cursed body / Water Absorb
Hp:252 def:220 sdef:36
Scald
Hex
Recover
Taunt/Ice beam

Gliscor; Jolly, Toxic orb
Poison Heal
HP:252 Def:200 Atk:52
Stealth rocks
Swords Dance/Toxic
Facade
Earthquake/Stone Edge

Breloom; Adamant, Life orb
Technician
Atk 252 spe 240 def 12
Spore
Mach Punch
Bullet Seed
Focus Punch

So please give me suggestions on teammates (no legends) for this team and if I should tweak the sets as I'm still new to this!

Last edited:

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
So please give me suggestions on teammates (no legends)

I'm not going to lie, this is a really common misconception that new players fall into when they're getting their teams rated, in that legendary Pokemon are automatically overpowered. In fact, only a certain subset of legendaries are overpowered, and they're banned from standard play: you may know which ones I'm talking about. There are a lot of legendaries that are fair game, such as Landorus-T and Tapu Koko, while others are just bad in higher-level play, such as Virizion. Don't hesitate to use legendaries, as long as they're not ridiculously broken like Primal Groudon and Yveltal.

As for your team, you seem to be a little Greninja-weak, and what can be covered, you'll end up losing to the Tapus. You may have Breloom, but in a fairy-infested world he may not be pulling the punches (pun intended). My advice is to drop him, and replace him with Tapu Bulu. With an Assault Vest he can really soak hits, and heal off them with Grassy Terrain. However, that'll mean dropping EQ on Gliscor for Stone Edge. Jellicent, I'm tempted to replace with Toxapex. Don't even get me wrong - Toxapex is absolutely AMAZING in the current meta. He takes hits like a boss, can dish out poison, and can heal on the switch thanks to Regenerator...not to mention he checks a lot of common stuff in the tier like Heatran.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Thanks for the reply, I know that I can use legends, like the tapus or raikou is another common one I see but I just don't want to synchronise for right nature's and that jazz. But I would love to hear some other pokemon suggestions for the next three slots you seem like you know your stuff and I just want to use unusual competitive pokemon, like I know they probably won't win but hey its all in fun anyway!! Thanks again for your reply!!!

Years
Spoiler: the recommended teamates and changes in my opininion
Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

Mamoswine @ Metronome
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Hidden Power ground

this is all i could really come up with at the moment regarding your specifications
also ignore the metronome if you want its a placeholder item for the time being. i hope it helps also i replaced breloom with scizor if that is not something that you desire then you may disregard that suggestion.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I wouldn't bother with Jellicent really, because it suffered from the Knock Off buff in Gen VI. A better bulky Water to use here is Toxapex because of its great bulk on both ends of the spectrum:
-Scald
-Haze
-Toxic/Toxic Spikes/Knock Off
-Recover
Nature: Calm/Bold
EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SpD or 248 HP/192 Def/64 SpD or 248 HP/252 Def/8 SpD
Item: Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator

I'm not going to lie, this is a really common misconception that new players fall into when they're getting their teams rated, in that legendary Pokemon are automatically overpowered. In fact, only a certain subset of legendaries are overpowered, and they're banned from standard play: you may know which ones I'm talking about. There are a lot of legendaries that are fair game, such as Landorus-T and Tapu Koko, while others are just bad in higher-level play, such as Virizion. Don't hesitate to use legendaries, as long as they're not ridiculously broken like Primal Groudon and Yveltal.

As for your team, you seem to be a little Greninja-weak, and what can be covered, you'll end up losing to the Tapus. You may have Breloom, but in a fairy-infested world he may not be pulling the punches (pun intended). My advice is to drop him, and replace him with Tapu Bulu. With an Assault Vest he can really soak hits, and heal off them with Grassy Terrain. However, that'll mean dropping EQ on Gliscor for Stone Edge. Jellicent, I'm tempted to replace with Toxapex. Don't even get me wrong - Toxapex is absolutely AMAZING in the current meta. He takes hits like a boss, can dish out poison, and can heal on the switch thanks to Regenerator...not to mention he checks a lot of common stuff in the tier like Heatran.
While I agree with the Breloom swap to Bulu, it may be a better idea to use Tyranitar instead, as it benefits from weakened Earthquakes and can even provide Stealth Rock support when needed:
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Fire Punch
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 80 HP/252 Atk/176 Spe
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream

or
-Stealth Rock
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Fire Punch
EVs: 188 HP/252 Atk/68 Spe
Item: Tyranitarite

or
-Dragon Dance
-Stone Edge
-Crunch/Ice Punch
-Fire Punch
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe

Spoiler: the recommended teamates and changes in my opininion
Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

Mamoswine @ Metronome
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Hidden Power ground

this is all i could really come up with at the moment regarding your specifications
also ignore the metronome if you want its a placeholder item for the time being. i hope it helps also i replaced breloom with scizor if that is not something that you desire then you may disregard that suggestion.
Fire Blast is better over Flamethrower on Volcarona because it's stronger and still decently accurate. Bug Buzz is also a legitimate coverage option so Volcarona can hit Tyranitar harder.

To continue with the above, Kartana can act as a Defogger for the team for Volcarona, as Gliscor's Earthquakes wold be weakened by Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain. It can also use the terrain to power up its Leaf Blade:
-Leaf Blade
-Smart Strike/Knock Off
-Sacred Sword
-Defog
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf

Scarf Greninja uses a more specialized EV spread of 176 Atk/80 SAtk/252 Spe to guarantee the OHKO on Kartana with Ice Beam:
-Gunk Shot/Rock Slide
-Ice Beam
-U-turn
-Spikes/Low Kick
Nature: Naive
EVs: 176 Atk/80 SpA/252 Spe

Mega Scizor uses specialized EV spreads to make the most out of both power and bulk: 248 HP/64 Atk/124 Def/16 SDef/56 Spe 2HKOs min bulk Zygarde with +2 Bullet Punch and avoids the 2HKO from Magearna's boosted Thunderbolt.

Years
I wouldn't bother with Jellicent really, because it suffered from the Knock Off buff in Gen VI. A better bulky Water to use here is Toxapex because of its great bulk on both ends of the spectrum:
-Scald
-Haze
-Toxic/Toxic Spikes/Knock Off
-Recover
Nature: Calm/Bold
EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SpD or 248 HP/192 Def/64 SpD or 248 HP/252 Def/8 SpD
Item: Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator

While I agree with the Breloom swap to Bulu, it may be a better idea to use Tyranitar instead, as it benefits from weakened Earthquakes and can even provide Stealth Rock support when needed:
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Fire Punch
EVs: 80 HP/252 Atk/176 Spe
Item: Choice Band

or
-Stealth Rock
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Fire Punch
EVs: 188 HP/252 Atk/68 Spe

or
-Dragon Dance
-Stone Edge
-Crunch/Ice Punch
-Fire Punch
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe

Fire Blast is better over Flamethrower on Volcarona because it's stronger and still decently accurate. Bug Buzz is also a legitimate coverage option so Volcarona can hit Tyranitar harder.

To continue with the above, Kartana can act as a Defogger for the team for Volcarona, as Gliscor's Earthquakes wold be weakened by Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain. It can also use the terrain to power up its Leaf Blade:
-Leaf Blade
-Smart Strike/Knock Off
-Sacred Sword
-Defog
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

Scarf Greninja uses a more specialized EV spread of 176 Atk/80 SAtk/252 Spe to guarantee the OHKO on Kartana with Ice Beam:
-Gunk Shot/Rock Slide
-Ice Beam
-U-turn
-Spikes/Low Kick
Nature: Naive
EVs: 176 Atk/80 SpA/252 Spe

Mega Scizor uses specialized EV spreads to make the most out of both power and bulk: 248 HP/64 Atk/124 Def/16 SDef/56 Spe 2HKOs min bulk Zygarde with +2 Bullet Punch and avoids the 2HKO from Magearna's boosted Thunderbolt.

I acknowledge your reasoning's for the different ev spreads however, i also wish to point out the individual does not wish to use Legendary/mythical pokemon ( assuming the individual includes Mythical pokemon in that statement) so i put everything else as teammates to accommodate for that plus i was typing this up late at night so the spreads are likely going to be half fast for a few of them as well as flamethrower over fire blast if i was typing the team up now i would have replaced jellicent with toxapex.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I acknowledge your reasoning's for the different ev spreads however, i also wish to point out the individual does not wish to use Legendary/mythical pokemon ( assuming the individual includes Mythical pokemon in that statement) so i put everything else as teammates to accommodate for that plus i was typing this up late at night so the spreads are likely going to be half fast for a few of them as well as flamethrower over fire blast if i was typing the team up now i would have replaced jellicent with toxapex.

Ultra Beasts don't count as legendaries, hence it's fair game.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Thank you for suggestion guys I really like the volcarona set!! I think I'm going to stick with jellicent because I've had a better win rate with him compared to toxapex, I would however like a Poison type or fairy type or some special attackers and physically defensive but I can find the right ones, I was thinking of going with reuniclus but solo psychic type I'm scared would get bowled over in the meta

Years
I suppose if you are in need of a special attacking poison type i might suggest Nidoking i know at first glance one might wonder why however it gets extraordinary coverage options like thunderbolt and icebeam as well as STAB earth power and sludge wave and to top it off all of it is boosted by sheer force and can function as a lead with focus sash or as an attacker with life orb. or if you are going to keep breloom or not use the mega slot on scizor, I could suggest mega gardevoir as a fairy/psychic special attacker over reuniclus.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I had forgotten about gardevoir! That sounds like a good plan in the end, I really like nidoking but the ground type over lap with gliscor would be the only thing stopping that. Thank you so much for your help!!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Thank you for suggestion guys I really like the volcarona set!! I think I'm going to stick with jellicent because I've had a better win rate with him compared to toxapex, I would however like a Poison type or fairy type or some special attackers and physically defensive but I can find the right ones, I was thinking of going with reuniclus but solo psychic type I'm scared would get bowled over in the meta

As I already mentioned, Jellicent is very prone to Knock Off because of its low Defense and Dark weakness, hence why Toxapex fares better. I'd recommend re-testing Toxapex on your team before coming back.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
As I already mentioned, Jellicent is very prone to Knock Off because of its low Defense and Dark weakness, hence why Toxapex fares better. I'd recommend re-testing Toxapex on your team before coming back.

I see where you are coming from but, as stated before my win rate has been better with jellicent as he can act as an anti rapid spin mon which helps with stealth rocks set up and yes his defense is bad but I'm primarily using him as a special wall with evs in def to help him stick out big hits, also I find toxapex isn't much fun to use, it's sets are rather predictable, but as I said I completely see the point you're making I just personally do not want to use it, but I have used it before and it can be formidable foe

Back