• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wii U General Discussion

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've gotten my Wii U in January this year, two months after it was initially released. It cost me nearly three-twenty dollars (with taxes include it), but it was all worth it—I absolutely love playing games on it! Mine is the basic set. I would have bought the deluxe set, but it was just too expensive for me. The only major difference between the two is that the deluxe has thirty-two gigs of storage space, but if you're not planning to download any games on your Wii U, then you honestly wouldn't need all that.

The games I have for this system so far, are New Super Mario Bros. U, Rayman Legends, The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, and Mass Effect 3 (I might've forgotten a couple, but oh well). Out of all of these games, may favorite would have to be LoZ: Wind Waker. The story is extremely interesting, which makes it quite easy for you to be sucked into the game. And the graphics and sound quality are just simply phenomenal. d: Rayman Legends is my second favorite. It's one of the best platformers to ever set foot into the world of Wii U, in my opinion.

Some games I'm looking forward to getting are Need for Speed: Most Wanted U, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Little Inferno, Super Mario 3D World, and Scribblenauts Unlimited. It kind of sucks that had to delay Tropical Freeze until 2014, though, because I wanted to get my hands on it a little earlier. :( I may get ZombiU as well, but I'm not totally sure. I'm just not a big fan of horror games, unfortunately.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Hm, what Wii U games I have? I have the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Super Mario Bros Wii U, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U. But you know, with all the great games that are coming up like Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros 4, and so on, I'm really looking forward on using my Wii U more often! I really love playing the HD remake of Wind Waker; the graphics are absolutely amazing from the cell shading, plus I really like the upgraded version of the sail; I won't have to do that tedious trick of mashing the A button to get the sail to open and close to make myself go faster.

I used to have the plain ol' White Wii U and bought all the games physically. I couldn't get the Bundle because it was so darn expensive at the time for me... but, when the Wind Waker Wii U bundle came out, I traded it for that bundle and paid the rest because gods, I really love the design on the Wii U pad, and hey - it even came with the Wind Waker digitally, so, I didn't regret it one bit! It also came with this Hystoria, wheere it showed all the drawings and behind-the-scenes of creating the Zelda games. It's pretty interesting!

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
Years
I won't have to do that tedious trick of mashing the A button to get the sail to open and close to make myself go faster.
Haha, glad I'm not the only one that did this.

The games I own include Nintendo Land, LoZ: Wind Waker, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (among various eshop and virtual console games). I really can't wait for Mario Kart 8 and the return of bikes, I got too used to them in MK:Wii. And I'm still on the fence about getting Pokemon Rumble and Pikmin 3.

I chose the Deluxe Wii U since it had more memory, plus it's black, and the Wii was white... so diversity or whatever. And my favorite thing about the Wii U... probably a lot of things, but I do enjoy off-TV play. Even more so, there's a lot of diversity when it comes to games. I got both Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U and 3DS, which opened up my eyes to the Monster Hunter franchise. Now Monster Hunter is one of my favorite games, so I guess that happened.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
-What Wii U games do you have?
Currently, all I have is Wind Waker HD. It looks so amazing! And I'm really enjoying all the little changes they made. It feels like I'm playing Wind Waker for the first time again. I haven't bought any other games yet. Games are so expensive to an unemployed college student. :(

-What Wii U games do you want to get?
There's a bunch. I want to get Super Mario 3D World, Sonic Lost World, Smash Bros 4, Mario Kart 8, and a lot more.

-What version of the system did you get? The Deluxe or the basic? What made you choose that one?
I actually got the Wind Waker bundle (despite the objections of my parents about buying game systems), which resulted from a surprising turn of events that got me paid the $300 I so desperately needed to buy this console. I originally wasn't going to buy a Wii U until around next year, but when they announced the limited edition bundle (that comes with my 2nd favorite Zelda game), plus a $50 price drop, I had to get it before it went away.

I was slowly saving up for a Deluxe Set and hoped to be done by the time Smash Bros 4 came out. And the bundle is basically a Deluxe Set with a sexy Zelda-styled GamePad, so I'm pretty happy about that. And it came with a game I know for sure I won't put down for a long time. I already bought the physical Hyrule Historia when it released, but it's nice that the bundle came with a digital version.

-What's your favorite thing about the Wii U?
I'm loving this console. I'm not sure if I have a definitive favorite thing about it. I enjoy all the things it can do. But if I had to choose one, it's probably be either MiiVerse or the TV Remote function. Plus the screen and limited portability of the GamePad are pretty awesome.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
Well lets see we have: Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, Assasincs Creed III, Epic Mickey 2, Tank! Tank! Tank!, Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, Skylanders Giants, Disney Infinity, Scribblenaughts Unlimited, Zombi U, Lego City: Undercover, Little Inferno. (12)

Games we're planning to get: Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros 4, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, Sonic Lost World, Rayman Legends, WatchDogs, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Duck Tales Remasterd, LoZ: Wind Waker HD, Game & Wario, NSLU, Most Wanted U(Have the 360 one, but want this one), Maybe Resident Evil: Rev, Puddle, Some other indie/small titles. God help me. Maybe I'll get my brother to get Ghost on Wii U, just to support 3rd party support. (16+)

We got the Deluxe set because it came with a game (nintendo land), its black (having white wii u, white wii would be eh :P), the digital promotion (yet I havent used it), and the black gamepad just looks better.

My favorite thing about the Wii U is the game pad, and how it allows new gameplay ideas, and off-tv play is fantastic! Playing a game on the wii u just seems more superior than playing on a reguler console with a regular controler. So last gen.

Years
What Wii U games do you have?
I only have Windwaker HD, a few Zen Pinball 2 boards and the sketchpad app which name escapes me at the moment :)

What Wii U games do you want to get?
Sonic Lost World , Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros U, Pikmen 3, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Super Smash Bros Wii U, Dues Ex: Human Revolution Directer's Cut.

What version of the system did you get? The Deluxe or the basic? What made you choose that one?
I have the Deluxe Zelda Bundle, that gamepad is just awesome!

I like the off tv play combined with the TV remote function, my moniter is also my TV so it's a great way to check email and whatnot while still playing your game! Miiverse is a very fun as well.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
What Wii U games do you have?
Windwaker HD and Disney Infinity both of which I haven't given much time to as of yet.

What Wii U games do you want to get?
Mario Kart Wii U, SSB Wii U, Bayonetta 2, Dragon Quest X, new Xeno game, Child of Light, Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei

What version of the system did you get? The Deluxe or the basic? What made you choose that one?
Bought the Windwaker bundle off a whim really. The game is nowhere near a system seller for me, but I felt like I was gonna have to buy the console eventually and not to mention the gamepad looks pretty sweet too.

What's your favorite thing about the Wii U?
The innovated controller/gamepad of course.

Years
-What Wii U games do you have?

Zombi U, Nintendo Land, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, The Wonderful 101 and the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD.

-What Wii U games do you want to get?

Upcoming? Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2 and Super Smash Bros.

-What version of the system did you get? The Deluxe or the basic? What made you choose that one?

ZombiU Deluxe. It's an amazing value pack, with 4x the memory, accessory kit, two games and Wii U Pro Controller for like $40 more than the deluxe kit. Plus the digital deluxe promotion. I really love that.

The Gamepad. No question about it. It's amazing. There is nothing better than playing full console games in bed and just throwing the game to the TV when you feel like it. Though I frankly didn't like dual screen functionality for more intense games. I completely disliked Zombi U for it and the Wonderful 101's second-screen sections were a bit of a tall order.

Last edited:

Skalla

Drama Queen
Years
Wall of Text incoming:

I got my Wii U the same Christmas it came out, and honestly I wish I got it muuuch muuuch later. I initially though Rayman Legends and Pikmin 3 were gonna come out at launch so I was very disappointed when both were delayed. The only 3 games I had for it through December, January, Febuary, March, April, May and June were New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendoland and Sonic & SEGA all Stars Racing. I still haven't beaten Mario U because of how samey it is, I played SatSR from time to time, still haven't unlocked everything, and I haven't done much with Nintendoland since it lacks online whenever I have people around we usually play Smash Brothers and Halo. March rolls around and it turns out Rayman Legends is delayed seven months so it can be ported to Xbox, PS3 and PC! Thanks, Ubisoft!

Sonic Lost World is announced as a Wii U exclusive, and that quells me a bit since I'm a big Sonic fan. However after price drops and later edition Wii Us everything begins to get on my nerves, and THEN FINALLY Pikmin 3 comes out. At this point the only reason I'm hyped is because its an actual game worth playing that isn't multiplatform. Currently its my favourite Wii U game. September comes and I get Rayman Legends on launch day with my pre order and everything. Nothing short of a fantastic game, but I was still very disappointed at how lacking it is. Its also missing lots of charming quirks Origins has, and just didn't feel like the long wait was worth it.

This month I've purchased 3 games, Pokemon Y, and Wind Waker HD and The Wonderful 101. Wind Waker is by far my favourite Zelda game, the graphics are wonderful and the story is intriguing. However I can't help but feel this should be the last Zelda game that uses the basic Zelda formula. Every Zelda game feels the same, but thats another topic for another time. The Wonderful 101 is weird, its made by Platinum games (who made Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising) so of course I'm going to eat it up like candy. It has a weird art style, but it works for the comic book feel its trying to create, the story is bad in true Platinum games tradition, the Luka subplot sucks. And like almost every other Platinum game, the controls take time to get used to and understand to fully enjoy the game. It also has weird puzzle segments which kinda make me lose interest.

At least with Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD the Wii U is picking up some Steam. And the great releases just keep on coming. I'm excited for Super Mario 3D World, Sonic Lost World (which doesnt come out here in the US until the 29th), Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns 2, Mario Kart 8 and of course Smash Brothers.

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2017
I've owned a Wii U for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I like MH3U so much it's really the only reason why I'm hanging onto my Wii U, as I could not care less about the rest of it's library. What doesn't help is how bad Nintendo is handling the launch of it. I just feels like they've released it too early, just like they did with the 3DS.

Suffers from some of the issues that the 3DS had early on with it's game drought, awkward marketing and general lack of focus that Nintendo is having with the entire system. Sure the new Mario game looks like the best Mario title after a bunch of cash-in titles, but the bad press the Wii U has received is not going to help it at all. (sonic lost world sucking according to critics is really not going to help nintendo as well. That sonic exclusivity deal was a waste of time.)

That being said, the GamePad is quite a flexible and interesting controller, the on-line is competent (but still pales in comparison to, well, almost anything) and Miiverse is fun to mess around with.

So yeah, it isn't doomed to fail and I think it will be more of a Gamecube 2.0. But I bet that they'll announce a more powerful system in the near future; the Wii U just feels like a litmus test for a hybrid portable/handheld console.

Back