• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Velvet

Saiba Aisu

Sophistiqué
Years
Team Pokémon Velvet

[alink id="Introduction"]Introduction[/alink id] | [alink id="Hack Information"]Hack Information[/alink id] | [alink id="Storyline"]Storyline[/alink id] | [alink id="Features"]Features[/alink id] | [alink id="Required Team Members"]Required Team Members[/alink id] | [alink id="Current Team Roster"]Current Team Roster[/alink id] | [alink id="Support Banners"]Support Banners[/alink id] | [alink id="Contact Information + Closing Sentiments"]Contact Information + Closing Sentiments[/alink id]

VelvetFinal.png

[a id]Introduction[/a id]

Introduction

Hey there, everyone. Although I'm still a relatively new face around these parts, I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce myself to the PokéCommunity, er, Community. Anyways, the purpose of this thread is to gather interested and talented team members to work together on my latest Pokémon Hack idea, known as Pokémon Velvet. Before I get into any details, however, I'll just share a little about the creators, and go first, shall I?

Saiba Aisu:
I've been an off-and-on Pokémon fan for more years than I care to count, unfortunately. Having been one of those fortunate 90s kids who actually grew up with the Pokémon franchise and anime, I've developed a certain fondness for the series, as well as the games. Although my skills when it comes to hacking are newly-found and passable at best, my true talent lies in developing storylines, dialogue, and events. In my free time, I'm an avid reader and writer who enjoys strawberries, morning jogs, and checking my daily horoscope. I run track year-round, and I volunteer at various local organizations, most specifically in clinical settings.

Chevalier:
Like Saiba Aisu, I've been interested in the Pokémon series since its initial release in the US and still am. I've played all the games from GBC to DS and have played a few Hack ROM games as well. Despite being relatively new to hacking, I'm skilled in Graphic Art Design (the artwork above is mine) and very familiar with Photoshop and GIMP all around. I'm a huge soccer enthusiast; I enjoy watching it as much as possible and playing it as much as possible (I play year-round). My favorite team is FC Barcelona - the best team in the world. My second obsession behind soccer is Rap/Hip-Hop music and freestyle rapping. My favorite artist is Lupe Fiasco.

[a id]Hack Information[/a id]

Hack Information

Hack Name: Pokémon Velvet Version
ROM Base:
FireRedBase.png

Hack Tools:

• Advance Map 1.92
  • XSE Scripting Tool
  • YAPE 0.9
  • A-Trainer
  • Overworld Editor
  • unLZ-GBA
  • Hex Workshop
[a id]Storyline[/a id]

Storyline

Although very little is known about Team Rocket's mysterious Leader, their incredible rise to power within the criminal syndicate was nothing short of meteoric. A closely-guarded secret, the true identity, past, and many struggles of Team Rocket's Leader are known to only a select few, trusted executives. Enter the rich, detailed world of Pokémon Velvet, which follows not only the circumstances surrounding Team Rocket's establishment, but its many activities and conflicts across a ten-year period. Discover the shocking circumstances that set the birth of the legendary crime syndicate into motion, and take an active part in some of the organization's most sinister and infamous schemes as you solidify your designs to conquer the entire Kanto Region.

The player begins his or her adventure within Viridian City at the age of eighteen —some ten years before the events that transpire in Pokémon Red Version —just like so many other countless and excitable Trainers. However, right from the beginning, several differences are present between the player's story and that of the lovable boyhood hero, Red. Instead of receiving your first Pokémon from a kindly old researcher, the player is forced to deal instead with the whims of the disgruntled local Gym Leader, who seems bent on being unhelpful. Rather than having a simpering housewife for a mother, the player has to make due with a tiresome, irritable female who neglects her motherly duties more than she attends them.

Still, surely you're not the only Trainer who has had to deal with such circumstances, right? Determined not to let these tiny and unimportant details ruin your Pokémon adventure, you set off towards Pewter City with your trusty Meowth in tow... Only to encounter wave after wave of misfortune, several selfishly-motivated Trainers, and finally, a framed crime so horrible it infallibly guarantees you a considerable criminal sentence. With only a passable semblance of a trial, the player is then carted off to a miserable and mysterious prison deep within the Cascade Mountains to serve an indeterminable sentence.

But, surely there have been other Pokémon Trainers in similar situations, right? Regrettably for the player, this cheerful mentality soon fades away, trapped within a barren prison at the mercy of the many armed Guards for months on end. Fortunately for you, you're made of sterner stuff, and you soon set into motion a violent riot as a cover for your bold escape, accompanied by several other inmates. With no resources or shelter and the law on your tail, you'll be hard-pressed to survive. Despite the odds, from these barren circumstances will arise not merely a group of petty, persecuted criminals with you as their leader, but the most terrifying Pokémon crime syndicate to ever exist—Team Rocket.

[a id]Features[/a id]

Features

• Several New Areas: Explore several new and detailed maps within the Kanto Region, including the Cerulean Prison, the underground vaults of the Rocket Bank, and the Pokémon Mansion prior to its destruction, as well as many others. In addition, several maps will feature edits of varying significance, such as the notoriously dangerous Viridian Forest, which has been reworked with an entirely set of new Trainers and a miniboss. This kind of editing will be characteristic of various areas throughout the Kanto Region.

• New Dialogue, Overworlds, and Characters: Every character within the game will feature entirely new and engaging dialogue, different positioning, overworlds, and often, interactive events. The player is encouraged to talk to everyone when entering a new area—doing so be considerably profitable, as the locals will often point you along various other subquests and entirely new events, reveal useful information, or even provide assistance.

• New Storyline and Events: Play as either Giovanni or Domino in an engaging new storyline spanning a ten-year period as you enact your terrifying revenge. Some of the more notable events will include the capture and subsequent escape from the Cerulean Prison, a daring robbery of the notable and well-respected Rocket Bank, the kidnapping of various scientists too smart for their own good who should obviously be putting their talents to the service of Team Rocket, and a violent coup d'etat as you take the Viridian City Gym under new management. You'll be responsible for overseeing some of Team Rocket's most famous heists, although you'll leave the grunt work to the Grunts, for the most part. In addition, the game's storyline will be centered away from the collection of Gym Badges.

• Out-of-Game Trainers: Pokémon Velvet will also feature various out-of-game trainers that you normally wouldn't find in Pokémon Fire Red, such as Bug Maniacs, Rich Boys, and School Kids. Although this isn't anything overly revolutionary, it does add a nice touch of diversity to various stages of the game, and makes for some very interesting plot developments.

• New Rivals and Teamwork Assignments: As the game progresses, you will yourself hindered by a variety of nosy, would-be heroes or disgruntled, jealous rivals. These will include various forces of the local Kanto police who are intent on putting an end to Team Rocket, various Pokémon Bounty Hunters hired to incapacitate, defeat, and capture you, and of course, some lousy kid name Red who just can't seem to keep out of trouble. In addition, depending on the gender of the character the player picked, either Domino or Giovanni will be included as a rival, who will both help you on your missions or challenge you for control of Team Rocket at various points. But fear not, for you'll also be able to team up with other Rocket Executives along the way.

• New Movesets and Stats for several Pokémon: Well, we couldn't have you start off with a Pokémon as weak as Meowth without tweaking its moves and stats a little bit first, right? As just one of many Pokémon who will undergo this treatment, Meowth will feature entirely new movesets and stats, so it can better fill the role of Giovanni's sinister, signature feline. Although you may be disinclined to keep Meowth at first, I would suggest you hang on to it, as it's the only one you can obtain in the game.

• New Pokémon Locations: To match the game's many new edited maps, Pokémon Velvet will also feature new Pokémon locations, allowing you to obtain a wider variety of of these adorable instruments of destruction much quicker. Although the focus of the game isn't centered around expanding and filling the PokéDex, players are encouraged to thoroughly explore areas in search of new Pokémon—doing so will help the player spread their team to deal more efficiently with any number of the well-varied threats in the game.

• No HMs necessary!: We've all been there, flushed with the success of defeating LT. Surge, only to realize that we have to catch 15 stupid Pokémon in order to obtain Flash and navigate Rock Tunnel before continuing. Well, no more, I say! You'll be able to obtain various HMs and TMs as your nefarious conquest develops, but the option to use them to reach hidden areas will be entirely yours. As for the problem of getting around without Fly, we think we've got a pretty clever solution cooked up.

• Pokémon Blackmarket: Hey, it wouldn't be Team Rocket without a Pokémon Blackmarket, right? Due to the fact that any Marts you encounter along your journey will be few, you'll be depending on these guys to supply you with everything from Potions to PokéBalls. In addition, several of these Blackmarket Vendors will be only happy to give you various rare Pokémon that are unobtainable otherwise... for a suitable price, of course.
[a id]Required Team Members[/a id]

Required Team Members

Although our plans for the game, storyline, dialogue, and events are already set we could really make use of some of the following members:

• Experienced Scripters: For those of you to whom this applies, you have no idea how valuable you are within a hacking environment when it comes to writing up important events. Scripters are our biggest concern right now, and anyone with sufficient experience interested in joining would be happily welcomed.

• Mappers: Although I'm able to do basic mapping, it would be wonderful if we could expand our team in this area as well. Mappers interested in joining would have to be thoroughly familiar with Advance Map and any accompanying scripts that would be required to create various new areas, interiors, etc., and should PM me an example of what they would consider one of their best works.

• Overworld Editors: Since the player will be starting the game as a younger Giovanni or Domino, interested Overworld Editors would be required to create high-quality Overworlds for them and a handful of other important characters, mainly those working within the boundaries of Team Rocket.

• Sprite Editors: This field serves as a follow-up for the Overworld Editors. Members interested in working as Sprite Editors would be required to create a handful of high-quality Trainer sprites for the more important characters in the game, such as Giovanni, Domino, and a few other characters.

• Title Screen Editors: This really isn't an overly large concern right now, but it never hurts to try, right? Title Screen Editors would be working to edit the opening sequence of Pokémon Fire Red, the Title Screen, and the text displayed whenever the player begins a new game.
[a id]Current Team Roster[/a id]

Current Team Roster

Our team at the moment is composed of three people, with both Chevalier and myself working on most of the project. Although three isn't an overly small amount of people—in fact, for some of the hacks I've seen, it's perfect—we would appreciate the assistance of several other talented team members who are interested in helping to make Pokémon Velvet a reality.

Saiba Aisu
: Game Director, Event Planner, Dialogue and Storyline Composer, part-time Mapper.

Chevalier: Game Director, Event Planner, and Graphic Design Artist in charge of all banners and related media.

Firelordyago: Mapper, Scripter.

[a id]Support Banners[/a id]

Support Banners

Here are several banners so you can show your support for the Pokémon Velvet Project.

Don't forget to remove the asterisks!

GruntsFinal.png

Code:
[*IMG]http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/ChevalierGFX/GruntsFinal.png[/IMG]
nidosmale.png

Code:
[*IMG]http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/ChevalierGFX/nidosmale.png[/IMG]
NIDAPEDA.png

Code:
[*IMG]http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/ChevalierGFX/NIDAPEDA.png[/IMG]
[a id]Contact Information + Closing Sentiments[/a id]

Contact Information + Closing Sentiments

If you're interested in joining the Pokémon Velvet Project, please send me a PM including your field of interest and any prior experience with Scripting, Spriting, Overworld Editing, or Mapping you may have. If possible, please also include your MSN Contact Information if you have one—it will be significantly easier to contact and work with you if we're able to do it over some form of Instant Messaging. I will do my best to reply to your messages as soon as possible with our decision and any further information you may require. Good luck!

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to peruse the Pokémon Velvet Team Discussion Thread, and to encourage you to join and take an active part in creating the game if you're interested and have a sufficient amount of the required experience to do so. For the moment, my ideas are outpaced by the actual progress we've made or the members we have, but I'm sure that among a community as dedicated and diversified as this one, there will be several members interested in joining the Pokémon Velvet Project. Although there's a lot of work to be done, I am confident that we'll be able to manage it together and create something truly worthwhile and enjoyable.

Thanks,

The Pokémon Velvet Project Team

Last edited:

Saiba Aisu

Sophistiqué
Years
Thanks, Chevz. I couldn't have done it without your help, though. All that's left is for Ixigo to join up, and we'll have the core of our group operating on the same Forum.

Last edited:

Chevalier

Réveiller
Years
That's great and we thank you for your interest. We'd love to have you on the team as soon as you feel comfortable working on Advance Map.

pspdude

:o super shinx?
Years
:P i would join but im a total noob xD i can only do basic scripting (talking scripts,giving items/pokemon scripts and battle scrips),basic mapping (no tile insertion),and titlescreen and the gamefreak logo at the beginning xD

Saiba Aisu

Sophistiqué
Years
:P i would join but im a total noob xD i can only do basic scripting (talking scripts,giving items/pokemon scripts and battle scrips),basic mapping (no tile insertion),and titlescreen and the gamefreak logo at the beginning xD

That's pretty useful, though! If you can edit the title screen and gamefreak logo at the beginning, that'd be awesome. If you're interested, consider yourself a part of the Pokémon Velvet Team!

Do you know how to do movement scripts? Like, have people that prevent you from going places until certain flags are met? I'm glad we finally have another member.

pspdude

:o super shinx?
Years
That's pretty useful, though! If you can edit the title screen and gamefreak logo at the beginning, that'd be awesome. If you're interested, consider yourself a part of the Pokémon Velvet Team!

Do you know how to do movement scripts? Like, have people that prevent you from going places until certain flags are met? I'm glad we finally have another member.
i can try :P and consider me part of the team :) just give me the gamefreak logo you wnat and the symbol and ill put them in also if you dont wnat the stars revealing the gamefreak thing i can change that to what ever you wnat. also Tell me what you want in the title screen and give me the background :P (im not good at finding bg's :\)

Chevalier

Réveiller
Years
I'm glad to see you want to join the effort. If you'd post [here] or PM to me examples of your past works and we find them sufficient we'll be happy to add you to the team.

silent--echo

formally Sparcloud
Years
I'm gonna make a map to show you, but as of right now the print screen button on my computer isn't working. Is there another way you would know how I could show you? Also for the demonstration of what we can do would you want the events done as well?

Chevalier

Réveiller
Years
Well, what's wrong with your print screen button? I don't know another way how to capture your screen view...

Also, it depends what kinds of events you can do. What we need now is scripting special events, like preventing movement to certain areas, following other people, etc.

Can you do any of these things?

Saiba Aisu

Sophistiqué
Years
Silent, I'm aware and grateful for the interest you're expressing in working on this hack. However, I would suggest that you try and gather some more experience with scripting before you apply, since right now, all members of our team are able to do those events.

Attention! Firelordyago has joined the Pokemon Velvet Team! Welcome aboard!

/Edit: Aipo, I didn't receive your PM... You may want to check up on that.

Last edited:

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years
I think i have the scripts worked out, it just need the map to edit movement permissions then im sure im set. It took me ages but i finnaly figured it out.

Back