• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Odyssey

What do you think to thi sgame?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waudby

odyssey.png

Hello everyone. I am James Waudby.
I've been working on game making for about 4 years now, so I like to think of myself as someone who knows what they're talking about.

Some people may remember my older projects - Pokémon Sky Blue or Pokémon Opal -

I was also part of a small team called the Spherians which has long since disbanded.

My latest game is, Pokémon Odyssey, if you hadn't already guessed.

Now, most fangames contain the same things or have the same goals. However I like to think of Odyssey as something slightly different, special if you will.
It will feature all the classic generic parts of the Pokémon games we know and love, but, there will be some major differences.

Prologue:
It was almost two years after the first assault on the Everglade region by the Ani Colony, and people had begun to lose hope. The residents of Cresent City had been hit the hardest. Many of them were locked away for going against the Ani Colony's rules, and many other people had tried to escape to other regions - normally unsuccessfully.

There were a group of Pokémon Trainers which had joined together to try and otherthrow the Ani Colony. They were lead by a man named Sullivan, a dragon type trainer. Sullivan had defeated too many trainers to remember. Each one an minion of the Ani Colony and that was the problem, they were only minions.

However, a day came were Sullivan and his trainers decided to storm the Ani Colony's trading camp in the north-eastern town called Precip Town, named after the amount of rain and snow the town got each year. This was Sullivan's home town which he left during the first attack. So to regain this town would have a sentimental value to him.

The planned went down perfectly and the group defeated the trainers that were defending it and took back control of Precip Town. Sullivan knew this wouldn't be the end of it and that they couldn't enjoy their victory for long, so after quickly resting their Pokémon, the group continued onto the next town in their scope - Cresent City.

If Sullivan could take control of Cresent City, he had almost won the fight. they travelled towards the city and were confronted by the welcoming squad along the way, Sullivan's Dragonite easily taking care of any Pokémon in it's way. Arriving at the city's gates they were greeted by a new opponent, a leading general of the Ani Colony - Vince.

Vince was a Fire type trainer. His main Pokémon being a Charizard which was raised from a young Charmander. A heated battle began between Vince and Sullivan, whlist Sullivan's men dealt with the Ani Colony's grunts. Flying high into the air Charizard and Dragonite battled it out. Almost evenly matched, it seemed like the battle would continue forever. However Sullivan had a trick up his sleeve, a custom move he had taught to Dragonite - Overkill. Overkill, is a one hit K.O move, it doesn't have a type but is super effective against everything. It plumits the opponent deep within the planets mantle. Sullivan's Dragonite is the only Pokémon to have ever used it as Sullivan was the creator of it.

Dragonite used Overkill, and Vince was defeated, Sullivan had reclaimed Cresent City for the residents and went down in history as "The Cresent Hero".

After Vince's defeated, the citizens of the Everglade region had be reinspired to fight against the Ani Colony, and within a few weeks they had driven the Ani Colony out of Everglade.

There still exists some remnants of Sullivan's Odyssey. And there is said to be a long buried treasure of his existing somewhere in the Everglade region.....

Features:

Okay the game boasts many features that are new for a Pokémon fan game. On the top of the list is the Networked Play.

Players can connect with 10-20 friends at one time. Players will be able to trade, battle and interact with their friends, as well as NPC's in the online, PokéWorld.

What's PokéWorld? It's a man made creation, a virtual world. The company behind it is called, The Silos Company. The way it works is that it transports the Player into a entirely virtual region called, Hyrou. Yes this increases the number of regions to 3 now.

This may sound like a lot of work, however each day that goes by I hope to have a map done.

The next big thing about the game is that the Player chooses the appearance of their in game counterpart. With the choice of 4 different styles and 6 different hair colours as well as 8 different types of clothing for each gender, this gives around 128 different variations that are possible, so it will make each game slightly more you unique.

You will be able to change clothes during the game and at some points you will need certain clothings styles, for instance winter clothes for cold places etc.

The game features all the standard features most fan games have as well.

Continue to watch the thread to find out more.

Screenshots:

screenshot%202008.11.21%2016.35.17.0375.png
screenshot%202008.12.14%2017.08.25.0937.png

The battle system. Sullivan's Cave.
screenshot%202008.12.21%2017.38.05.0763.png
screenshot%202008.12.17%2014.56.50.0937.png

New character. Online play.

~Waudby

zns9jm.png

Last edited:

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
Looks good so far. Nice sprites and everything. I would recommend putting in D/P inside sprites as well to make it blend more. And I would like to know more about the story.

Waudby

I have some more screenshots for everyone to see. I wanna hear you thoughts.

Not many storyline shots will be released before the demo, maybe just a few hinters.

But most of the upcoming screenshots are of some features that were added today.

screenshot200804132306230539.png

screenshot200804132205030424.png

[Near finished Pokemon Selection Screens, shows that pokemon can lose health and it will change]

screenshot200804132306360017.png

[Pokemon Summary screen, more to come on that as it's still unfinished]

screenshot200804132307090392.png

[Night time in Sundale Town]

screenshot200804132308310151.png

screenshot200804132308480966.png

[Two smalls hints at one of the small side quests in the game]

As with all Pokémon games, i'm gonna make some pokemon only acessible through special events.
The first special event will obviously be the demo release.
So stay fixed else you may miss the release and the special event pokémon :D

Plans for the first demo include;

-Working Pokémon selection screen
-2 Fully mapped towns, and 1 Route.
-Getting your first Pokémon.
-A temporary battle system til the final one is done.
-Special Event Pokémon - won't be easy to find out how to get it though.
-A few small side quests.
-Pokémon Summary screens.
-Partial Item System.

So thats what to look forward to in the first demo.

Comments? Ideas? Help? Post it all here :P

thanks.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
The work you've done so far is awesome, and I'm using Kyledove's Outside Sprites as well for my Pokemon Yellow Remake.

Espreon

Lord of the Nagas
Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2011
Looks nice indeed. When will Cyndaquil be obtainable?. What will the starters be (I wish they are the Johto starters)? Also the Lucas sprite is simply a place holder until you get an original sprite... right?

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
It even amazes me more with the new screenshots although I want to see a screenshot of the battle system. It is the most important part most of all. Another thing you should do and I'm not sure if you already done this but in the inside part, see that window? Make it so it's bright in the day and dark in the night.

Atomic Reactor

but i would really liek to see different ow sprites.

if u want, i can try and make some?
maybe resemblling the D/P heroes?

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2010
Wow thats pretty solid looking D: Look forward to seeing the tradeing =P

Years
  • Seen Aug 16, 2010
Hey Waudby!
I like how your game is turning out! I really want to help you or contribute in some way. Please check your PMs!

Jack

Waudby

I know everyone is waiting for the battle system to be shown.

i'm now working on a graphical version to show everyone.

All the stats are loaded in, I just need to finish scripting in the moves.

I won't have the animations for the demo release.

Progress is still being made, I'll hopefully have something later to show.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
I know everyone is waiting for the battle system to be shown.

i'm now working on a graphical version to show everyone.

All the stats are loaded in, I just need to finish scripting in the moves.

I won't have the animations for the demo release.

Progress is still being made, I'll hopefully have something later to show.

Waudby, you are amazing me with your Sphere Powers :P

Can't wait for more screenshots

Waudby

Battle System progress is going smoothly.

A few little problems to be ironed out yet.

but all in all, not bad for the first day of scripting it :)

screenshot200804141920240795.png

[W.I.P of course, but it's just to give you an idea of what's coming.]

@ Kyledove: Thanks, it's good to know I have kept you happy with it lol. Any updates on the tiles yet?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
Okay.

Battle System progress is going smoothly.

A few little problems to be ironed out yet.

but all in all, not bad for the first day of scripting it :)

screenshot200804141920240795.png

[W.I.P of course, but it's just to give you an idea of what's coming.]

@ Kyledove: Thanks, it's good to know I have kept you happy with it lol. Any updates on the tiles yet?

Good everything seems to be coming along smoothly enough :P

I think I'll make a support banner or two for you

Atomic Reactor

i would just raise the enemy base up a little bit.
and darken the text.

half way done with dawn

will you need to download sphere to play this?

Atomic Reactor

i was just checking if i should download it or not.

check your PM folder Waudby

Waudby

i would just raise the enemy base up a little bit.
and darken the text.

half way done with dawn

will you need to download sphere to play this?

Nope, you won't need to download sphere to play it, as the way I release it will have the engine packaged with it.

Work is continuing on the demo and on the battle system.

WOuld like to think the demo would be ready within the next few weeks.

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
SUGGESTION;

pokemon moves, dont make it 4 like the other games...ake it like the tv shows where a the higher the level a pokemon the more amount of moves he can learn in total

eg upto lev 50 pokemon can learn 4 moves max, at lev 50 make it 5 moves, then at 60, 6 and then at 70, 7 etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back