• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen English Name Speculation

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Good timing, we already got one city confirmed, Hiougi city being renamed Aspertia.
we don't have much new location names, but I think that Pokewood will stay the same.

blue

gucci
Years
I can't really think what the names would change too as we have little information, although I do think Pokéwood can be updated, IMO it's slightly boring.

Years
Here's my speculation for English names:

Shizui > Finlay
A pun on "fin", cos he has fins on his pants. Also refers to his Water-type speciality.

Homika > Monika
I chose this name cos it sounds like "Homika". Also refers to her Poison-type specialty.

Hihihiroshi > Gilbert
This guy is the rival, I chose the name Gilbert cos it starts with G, like "grey" which refers to Kyurem.

Male PC > Blake/Ebony
Ebony is what the fandom is currently referring him to so I guess he'll be named that. Otherwise, I chose Blake cos it sounds like "black" and male PCs usually get named with the primary version name.

Female PC > Willow/Ivory
Ivory is what the fandom is currently referring her to so I guess she'll be named that. Otherwise, I chose Willow cos it sounds like "white" and female PCs usually get named with the secondary version name.

Pokewood > No change
I have a feeling this will keep its Japanese name, like the Pokemon Musical did.

Akuroma > Chrome
I chose that cos his Japanese name puns "aku" and "chrome".

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
Sounds good, but tbh I wish Akuroma would just keep his name, it's cool. And Gilbert sounds kind of like Hilbert.

Asperita is a very pretty name.

It would be cool if Homika was named Lyss. No idea why. Sounds kind of like Alyssa. I just like it.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
I'm agreeing with Hikari10 about Blake and Willow. I even mentioned it already. I'm pretty sure that Game Freak were saving those as protagonist names for Black 2 and White 2.

I think Homika might be called Veronica as in venom. Maybe even Nica, a la Forever.

Years
Another name I've considered for the rival's English name - Kevin.

It's a backup prediction, cos it starts with K, like Kyurem.

Years
Or maybe they will each have a name that starts with the same letter as the Tao trio like Ryan for the boy, and Zoe for the girl, and Kevin for the Rival, those sound generic but better than Hilda and Herbert (though I actually didn't mind those names especially after thinking that they're proably a reference to the amount of german immigrants to America)...

Years
Or maybe they will each have a name that starts with the same letter as the Tao trio like Ryan for the boy, and Zoe for the girl, and Kevin for the Rival, those sound generic but better than Hilda and Herbert (though I actually didn't mind those names especially after thinking that they're proably a reference to the amount of german immigrants to America)...

Yeah, I could see Ryan & Zoe as possible English names for the PC's.

I'm thinking one of these combos:

Ryan & Zoe = Reshiram & Zekrom
Ebony & Ivory = Black & White
Blake & Willow = Black & White (again)
Damian & Larissa = Dark & Light

What do you think? I'm trying to keep a theme going.

I'm also thinking of names that mean "black" and "white" in other languages, like what they did with Cheren and Bianca.

My guess is they'll give Kevin to the rival.

Last edited:
Years
I hope "Blake" and "Willow" have matching names like Hilda and Hilbert (which aren't bad names!). Something like Vincent and Victoria, though maybe not quite so long.

I want Homika to be named Mia (miasma), Hazel (haze), or Blythe (blight) so that I can say I predicted the name because I like those names.

Shizui can be named Wade because it would be amusing.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think Homika might be called Veronica as in venom. Maybe even Nica, a la Forever.

Too bad I changed my username ;)

Shizui can be named Wade because it would be amusing.

I'd rather "Wave" to be literal, actually. Or maybe something like Ociun. Kinda like "ocean" but not exactly.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2013
I think it'd be cool if Akuroma's name was just romanized, similar to what happened with Ghetsis. I was thinking something like Achroma to fit with the game titles.

Apart from that, I'm just not creative enough to come up with names for anyone else, haha. All the ideas for the protagonists' names that have been brought up are great (Blake and Willow sound pretty cool), but it'd be interesting if they went the Hilda/Hilbert way and gave them similar names/names of similar origin.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I think it'd be cool if Akuroma's name was just romanized, similar to what happened with Ghetsis. I was thinking something like Achroma to fit with the game titles.

Apart from that, I'm just not creative enough to come up with names for anyone else, haha. All the ideas for the protagonists' names that have been brought up are great (Blake and Willow sound pretty cool), but it'd be interesting if they went the Hilda/Hilbert way and gave them similar names/names of similar origin.
Achroma sounds good. Whatever the English name is for him though, I'm sure it'll be really mysterious. All we see from him in trailers are wicked/mysterious glances.

I love Blake and Willow, I would love for them to keep those names in English. It would be nice to have names of similar origin as long as it isn't so corny like Hilbert and Hilda.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Achroma would definitely be perfect. But Akuroma could still work, since it sorta sounds like chroma... just not quite. :x They'll probably end up going with Akuroma in English since idk, I can pronounce it maybe.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
The 'Chrome' part of Achroma certainly has a nice tie-in with Kyurem... and if the two turn out to be linked, that'll be a nice nod to it. As for more detailed speculation, anything I say will undoubtedly turn out to be false, so I'mma leave it to the professionals to surprise me along with everyone else! :D

Years
Perhaps Akuroma will be Prism or simply Chrome do match the color/ lack of color naming.
Also might I add that Kevin really would make a good name for the rival as it sounds like Kelvin, a temperature scale based around the concept of Absolute Zero (Kyurem). Hmm...maybe Akuroma will be Kevin/Kelvin...

Back