• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Berries

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
RSE_Berry_Tree.png
Returning from the previous generation were berries. However in generation III, they received a major facelift and became more useful than ever. We got 43 new berry types, plus another 12 e-reader exclusive berries. We gained the ability to do many things, such as plant our berries, make Pokéblock, etc. So which was your favourite berry? Do you like how berries worked in R/S/E? Did you ever get any of the e-reader berries? Which berries did you use for Pokéblock?

Discuss

Spr_3r_258.png

So muddy~

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
saw this thread, launched myself across my bed to grab my DS because I forgot about my berries on HG again. whee

Berries were wonderful, even though I kept forgetting about them. I actually used them mainly for curing status effects because if you don't have to buy items why would you even. And it tended to work out well because I am so slow at games that I hung around in one place for like ever and didn't have to backtrack when my berries were ready to go. I just wish there had been a function to check if berries were ready to harvest like there was on the Pokétch or w/e that was. And I totally made all kinds of Pokéblocks because why the frick not. Won so many contests cause of that too. :D I used whatever berry corresponded to what stat I was trying to up/what contest I wanted to do and that... is what you're supposed to do so it worked well.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
Among the berries, anything that heals status affects will do. I like them all and even though I tend to forget them, I use them constantly. Overall, they were best in this generation, just me thinking.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I used to love planting berries as a kid. I don't do it now due to either dead batteries or lack of interest, but as a kid, it was fun and it gave me a break from battling. They made it much more interesting this gen though. A bit more work put into it than gen II had it, but I think it was for the better. :) And I have an e-Read, but never had cards for the berries exclusive to it.

jacktheking, e-Reader was a device you attached to your GBA (not compatible with SP) and used it to scan various e-cards for minigames or add-ons for games. The e-series of Pokemon cards also had bars on the bottom to scan them, like this:

Spoiler:

It was kind of a flop though, lmao. I don't know anyone other than myself that had it when it came out, and I only got it because I was into the TCG at the time. But there's your lesson on e-Reader! :D

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
I didn't really understand them at all until very recently when I had a friend walk me through every basic step I would need to get a Milotic (which was successful, btw.) I used Sitrus berries and Oran berries to restore HP when I didn't have any potions, but I always made sure I didn't use them all up. I also used some of the status-curing berries, too. But I don't think I really used them all that much.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
That Poliwag made me laugh Syd xD

I still love planting berries today. I remember I used to draw maps of Hoenn and mark my berries so I knew where they were. I wish I got the e-Reader berries, some of them were really cool. I always though the Cornn Berry was really cool cause I find corn cool. (wut) I always liked beauty contests best so I made lot of dry berries into PokéBlock.

JustChillin810

xX_ElectricPikachu_Xx
Years
I loved the liechi berry because once I found mirage island I was able to grow a bunch of plants. This way I would be unstoppable in pokémon contests.

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
I love the berries! :3

The only thing I hate is that they grow so slow :3 Anyways I use berries mainly for pokeblocks I do not use them to Pokemon in battles.

Melody

Banned
Years
Personally I loved the berry mechanic in Generation 3, and feel like the mechanic is severely lacking in generations thereafter, especially since the latter generations completely mothballed a large number of the contest berries that were introduced to go along with the contest mechanic of the game.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
I could only enjoy the Berry mechanics of Generation III in Emerald (as my Ruby and Sapphire batteries discharged long ago), but what I experienced was awesome! They allowed me to forget about making progress in the game for a little while, and gave me some arguably well-deserved breaks. I did find they took a long while to grow, however, which was a slight turn-off—but overall, the feature was brilliant and it's a shame that it eventually got almost completely removed this generation...

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
"The internal battery has run dry. The game can be played. However, clock based events will not occur."

Devastation. I grew and grew berries until I had over 50 of each, then this struck. Nevertheless, I moved on and grew them in Pearl.

Anyhow, I used Spelon Berry for coolness, Watmel for Cute, Durin for Smart, Pamtre for Beauty and Belue for Tough. Those are one of the best, although via the Mirage Island I collected a Liechi berry and used it for Beauty, a monstrous Gold Pokéblock Lv 50. Instant Feebas evolution.

My favourite must be the Leppa Berry. It works like an Ether, a very important item in the game since it is not available in shops to buy. This means I solely depended on these berries during the game.

Never did I get the e-reader ones, tho.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 4, 2022
I used to love planting berries as a kid. I don't do it now due to either dead batteries or lack of interest, but as a kid, it was fun and it gave me a break from battling. They made it much more interesting this gen though. A bit more work put into it than gen II had it, but I think it was for the better. :) And I have an e-Read, but never had cards for the berries exclusive to it.

jacktheking, e-Reader was a device you attached to your GBA (not compatible with SP) and used it to scan various e-cards for minigames or add-ons for games. The e-series of Pokemon cards also had bars on the bottom to scan them, like this:

Spoiler:

It was kind of a flop though, lmao. I don't know anyone other than myself that had it when it came out, and I only got it because I was into the TCG at the time. But there's your lesson on e-Reader! :D

So that's why some of my cards have that E on the bottom, I always thought it was some form of weird design. I didn't care much for berries other than maybe the Sitrus Berry or to make Pokéblocks, as I just use Lava Cookies to heal status ailments.

Last edited:
Years
man, berries were one of the most important parts of my sapphire game. i spent literally hours planting and harvesting berries outside the Berry Master's house. and i loved getting a rare berry and planting it and bringing the species back from the edge of extinction!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 28, 2013
I'm not used to include berries in battles, I prefer save them to make Pokeblocks.

Due the Pokeblock limit to feed the Pokemon, I like to use the Berries #31-35, which are the better ingredients to make Pokeblocks.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Just leapt across the room to check my berries from Berry Master's wife :D

Loved them, great feature. Even though it doesn't seem like much when your Swampert has 200+ hp, Sitrus Berry's 30 hp is still helpful. Random point, I know, but meh.
I love how with Cheri, Persim, Lum, Sitrus etc. you have free regenerating medicine :D
Although my one gripe with the game is how hard it is to get Lum berries.

Doccit

Pokemon Conquest Creator
Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2022
Berries were a really interesting concept in 3rd gen, but they've come a long way. I like the berries in later generations that make specific super effective attacks less potent.

Back