• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black City & White Forest: A let down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Think about how Black City and White Forest was a highly advertised point when they were first released, and now look at them. Unless you're actively playing the games, either your White Forest & Black City, depending on your version, is empty.

So! Do you think the system of have-local-wifi-or-empty-area works? How would've you changed it, if you had the power? And do you think these two should've been less of a selling point in regards to version differences, considering how for most of us, we can't fully utilise them? Discuss!

Years
The answer is: "This is stupid"
Mostly because I cannot use the game's WiFi because we have the wrong sort of router.

I didn't know about the time clause on them, and because I spend so much time grinding (it can take me months to get anywhere in my games) by the time I got to White Forest it was long since deserted (save Azurill Person), and I was somewhat surprised (I found an item in there once, though. Still not sure what triggered the spawning of it)

If I could change it I would either extend the limit (or, y'know, at least make it clearer that there is one)... or make it so that the things have a greater compatibility with different routers.
Mostly the router option (because I cannot do so much without a connection.)
(Ignoring the fact that the closest person who I know even owns one of the games lives over two blocks away)
It would also be nice if it at least rotated the person you have left over once in a while.

Ah, so much hype they made about something so ridiculous.
Fact is? They're... not boring, as such, but... I dunno. Maybe they could have made some sort of link? Integrated it to the Kami village? Done... something. I don't know. I like the people and all, but the fact that there's no reasonable explanation behind these mysterious growing areas that make no sense irks me.

Years
I agree that it was a stupid idea to have the time you took remove people from your town, because I love taking my time to find the diffrent Pokemon in the area and raise them to a respectable level before heading off to the next Gym.

If anything, I would have:
A) Let it be like a normal city, without it being time-sensitive

B) Made it the reverse; the longer you take to get there, the more people would be there, because it means that you're not just speeding through the game to get to the end, but actually spending the time to enjoy it

C) At the very least let friends with the Wi-Fi long distance connection visit the towns. I don't have anyone around me that I care to associate with who has Pokemon, so its really frustrating... :(

I agree that it was a stupid idea to have the time you took remove people from your town, because I love taking my time to find the diffrent Pokemon in the area and raise them to a respectable level before heading off to the next Gym.

If anything, I would have:
A) Let it be like a normal city, without it being time-sensitive

B) Made it the reverse; the longer you take to get there, the more people would be there, because it means that you're not just speeding through the game to get to the end, but actually spending the time to enjoy it

C) At the very least let friends with the Wi-Fi long distance connection visit the towns. I don't have anyone around me that I care to associate with who has Pokemon, so its really frustrating... :(

Last edited:

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I didn't understand why White Forest got pokemon but Black city got nothing useful.

I beg to differ....Black City got very useful items in the market such as evolution stones and rare items that sell for a lot of money.

When I think the name of "White Forest" I think that it is misleading in a way.

Anyways, the only thing I would change about White Forest and Black City is the Entralink capabilities because I personally do not like them.

:t354:TG

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
To Grow and Expand Black City and White Forest you have to use the Infered Wireless LOCAL link ups. You don't use Wifi Routers at all. Just have to go to the Entrelink and enter a friend's world that way and talk to various NPCs that you see walking around.

That being said, I used my Brother's game a lot for testing and I've made Black City HUGE. Even after not playing it for a few months my Black City is still as large as it has been. I have a bunch of people to battle daily. Its not a concept I liked but having the extra battles makes the after game play a little more bearable without the VS Seeker.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I really disliked Black City. It had been hyped as this place where I could get loads of cool items and such; when I got there, it just seemed like an empty shell. That the screen goes into high res only highlights the emptiness of such a place. After battling the trainers, the whole experience was a complete let-down. At least in White Forest there could have been some cool Pokemon to capture; Black City was just desolate and boring. The feature seems to have been a real misfire, to be honest, and I hope that Game Freak learns from this mistake.

Years
I liked the music and the building infrastructure in Black City. That's about it though. I don't really have anything to add that hasn't been mentioned already.

Last edited:

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I like White Forest because you can catch some cute Pokemon there, but I don't see the point of Black City. It's boring and there isn't really much to do. Maybe a few more features would have been a batter idea for those areas.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Black City/White Forest sounded like cool concepts to me, but maintaining the people I brought in was a chore for me (I had to come in to White Forest and talk to everyone to keep them from leaving). Free items from White Forest every now and then was a nice bonus, though.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I didn't like it because, not only do you have to be near other people, which was doable for me, it had to be different people. Because new people never spawned in your game, if you wanted every person you had to link up with a bunch of different people to see if they have the people you want.

I'm curious as to how well it works in Japan, but it's a terrible idea outside of there.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
Years
Not that much of a fan of Black City. I was excited to go explore this town (as it was quite hyped before the release of Black) but it was such a let-down to arrive in a city where there was nothing more than a Pokémon center. Such space wasted. : <
I really took my time to enjoy Black, I haven't had so much fun playing a new Pokémon game since Emerald.
Black City was just kinda...meh.

Fine, I was playing on an Emulator, but having the game IRL (which I really want, it just recently that I got my DS) wouldn't change anything. I don't know anyone close to me who has the game.... so I doubt I'll be able to find much entertainment in Black City.
I like the idea of more social interaction with other people, but at least make sure that everyone (even those without close-by Pokémon fans) can enjoy 99,9% of the game's extra's.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I thought it was poorly executed. I had White, and there's nothing at all to do in White Forest once you've caught all the Pokemon available to you. And because of the leveling system and how it took me forever to level grind, my White Forest was near deserted when I finally made it there. And if not for my brother having Black, I would have never expanded it with the three people that I was able to bring over.

Really, it would have been a lot better if there was actually something to do there and if it wasn't dependent on how many people you know with the other game and dependent on how fast you play through it...

Leavanny

YOU S3T MY SOUL 4L1GHT
Years
Having heard of the problems that some people I know have experienced with Black City/White Forest, I never actually tried it out - in fact, the only times I've ever been to Black City have been when I was just passing through to get to the useful parts of Unova.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I thought the highly highlighted places in the games could've been done a lot better. The places had many flaws. To keep people, players would have to play the game almost every day, otherwise they would all start to disappear. When the player first gets the game, sure, the first couple of weeks they may do that, but soon after that, most people don't touch their game until they want a nostalgic hit, a few months later. Another problem was the maximum people number, meaning if you went to a Nintendo event, you couldn't get all the people while you were there. It also took quite a long time to invite people to your game. Almost certainly disallowing connectivity with strangers walking past, this is also made longer by having to take turns. The final problem of the top of my head was how the areas assumed that the player lived near or had access to many other people with the game to get new people, which a lot of people do not.

Pingouin_7

Mostly because I cannot use the game's WiFi because we have the wrong sort of router.

I didn't know about the time clause on them, and because I spend so much time grinding (it can take me months to get anywhere in my games) by the time I got to White Forest it was long since deserted (save Azurill Person), and I was somewhat surprised (I found an item in there once, though. Still not sure what triggered the spawning of it)

If I could change it I would either extend the limit (or, y'know, at least make it clearer that there is one)... or make it so that the things have a greater compatibility with different routers.
Mostly the router option (because I cannot do so much without a connection.)
(Ignoring the fact that the closest person who I know even owns one of the games lives over two blocks away)
It would also be nice if it at least rotated the person you have left over once in a while.

Ah, so much hype they made about something so ridiculous.
Fact is? They're... not boring, as such, but... I dunno. Maybe they could have made some sort of link? Integrated it to the Kami village? Done... something. I don't know. I like the people and all, but the fact that there's no reasonable explanation behind these mysterious growing areas that make no sense irks me.

Your entire argument (therefore your entire post) is rendered invalid by the fact they don't use Wi-Fi connection at all.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
I have never understood those two areas. Why put them in there where it will be empty most of the time? So for me, it is NOT A GOOD ADDITION to the game. Undella town has a lot more to offer me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back