• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Staff Feedback Thread! [read the first post!]

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
The staff have decided that we'd like the thoughts of the members on how we, both as a team and as individuals, are doing running the forum. While the standard procedure for assessment of a moderator's performance is a chat about them between the higher staff, we obviously only see the staff side of them. This thread, therefore, is your opportunity to tell us what you think of us from a member's perspective rather than a staff member's perspective. So, how does this work?

In this thread, we'd like to invite you to give us your honest opinions on the presence and actions of both the moderators and the higher staff team on the public forums. While we may all think we're doing well, it's your perspective of us that's the one that matters. As such, anything you feel we could be doing better, we need to know about. That's anything from "the higher staff could be more visible on the forums" to "[staff member x] could do with being more active in their section". If it's something that's bothering you, it's something worth posting here, basically.

A few things of note:
  • I'll re-iterate here that, in this thread, you may give feedback for an individual staff member up to and including the administrators. Indeed, here, and here alone, it's encouraged. This is the only thread in which you may do this at present.
  • No personal gripes with staff, please. "Razor Leaf gave me an infraction once and I didn't like it at all" is not constructive criticism. As always, this is a personal matter to be discussed individually with the staff member in question, either via PM or with a higher staff member. Do not bring up things like this here as that is not at all what this thread is intended to be about.
  • No rants. We want constructive criticism only. That means that we don't want you to use this thread as an opportunity to moan about how much you hate us all and how terrible we are and etc. We want problems or suggestions highlighted and we want to work with you to solve or implement them. We don't want walls of text about how bad we are, because that solves absolutely nothing.
  • Let people have their own opinions. We want opinions representative of the memberbase here, not discussions about whether or not x is a problem or if y is doing their job properly. That's for the staff to discuss between themselves, and with the member(s) presenting the issue. Not for other members to jump in and disagree with.
  • We want honest opinions of all levels of staff and, as long as the opinions are presented properly, even if we don't like what we hear we won't be judging you or punishing you for voicing your opinions. You will not be infracted, ranted at, etc. for giving a proper and honest opinion. If you feel a staff member is attacking you for your opinion in this thread then please PM me or another higher staff member and we'll sort it out.
  • All feedback, adhering to the above rules, is helpful. Don't be afraid to tell us what we're best at either!

Now for the nasty part. I'll say now that, as many people who know me will agree with, I'm not usually a massively harsh staff member. In this thread, that changes - we really want this thread to be constructive in a proper manner and it simply can't do that if it's being approached the wrong way by anyone. As such, the other staff and I are going to be coming down hard on anyone who doesn't adhere to the above guidelines. Basically if you go off on one ranting about how rubbish we all are, bringing up personal quarrels with staff members, etc., don't be surprised if you end up with an infraction. I'm hoping that won't have to happen, but it's worth mentioning.

So, that said, I'll go ahead and post this. Any questions, PM me with. Otherwise, go crazy! Or, rather, don't.

175.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Well I've never really taken issue with any staff members so I didn't really have anything to say beyond "good job, keep it up". But then I guess hstaff really could be more visible- from just kind of thinking about it I really don't see brightly coloured usernames around as much as they probably could be. I mean there could be a number of factors playing into that- the fact that I lurk PA pretty exclusively, the fact that there aren't even as many hstaff as compared to mods and certainly not to supporters or members, etc. But also, it seems brightly coloured names are in a very small percentage of threads even compared to some moderately active members. So yeah I think could be worked on.

Another thing is that we as members don't really know what goes on behind the scenes. Small Updates & Changes is helping, and most of us see thread merges and such. But a lot of discussion- probably- is so very secretive that we barely know what you guys even do. Does that make any sort of sense at all? I'm not sure what I'm asking here because I'm fine with being secretive but yeah. Idk a lot of what mods do, because I'm sure they do a lot more than what we see out here.

And finally, hstaff- y'all are making me happy by taking care of things in PA. Thank youuu ♥

Honest

Hi!
Years
Alright, let's do this. I can only critic people that I know well enough, considering I don't venture into the Pokemon part of the forum much. So sorry if you're not on. :c Gonna start off with the big cheese first. Get it? Cause you're yellow... no?

Razor Leaf - In all honesty RL, you're doing a good job as an Smod. Better than how you were doing as a regular mod in OCD in my opinion, you're able to step out of that once place and go everywhere. And ever since the promotion, I see you around a lot more, which is a definite plus. You also made this thread. Don't know if it was your idea to begin with, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. :3 On a personal level, you're a really nice guy, and very very friendly. You're doing fine as an Smod, keep it up.

Patchisou Yutohru - I'm only saying what I honestly feel. I think you're a cool guy Nick, and I personally have nothing against you. You're honest and direct usually. But I also feel that sometimes you can be a little harsh. :c I'm terrible at detecting sarcasm, especially online, but from what I see, you can become a little sarcastic at times, and I find myself going "Damn". But I've also seen your commitment to the site, and that's important. You're good at your job, just perhaps dial it down on the mean streak. :c

Livewire - You're too obsessed with Batman. Go home, he's not that great. Live my man. You're rocking the Bat Cave. You're active, you post a lot in the section, both threads and posts, and you're got a cool personality that doesn't intimidate me. I actually don't have much to criticize on your part either except for maybe stop showing of that picture of your finger. Hope you find your Robin to assist you in the near future. But for the meanwhile, you're running things well.

sammi-sam - Time for OVP Overlord #1. Sammi, I've known you for a long time now, so I can be 100% and say that at a personal level, you're amazing. Helpful, kind, smart, etc, etc. You've also made OVP a lot more fun with the weekly Poll of the Week competition. You're doing fine, in my opinion, keep up the good work.

Shining Raichu - OVP Overlord #2 and the Clubs Ringleader as well. Andy, on a personal level, you're also really nice. I remember that one time I got criticed for something I said and you made me feel better. You're a really nice guy, and that is great for a mod. A small critic I'd have to give, and maybe this is just me not being more aware, but I feel like you're activity on the forum could do with a tad bit of an improvement. I haven't noticed you around as much these days. I might be a oblivious to it, or perhaps I'm recalling the last time we actually talked Hit me up soon Andy!. But yeah, a tad bit more activity. :3

BinaryPeaches - Tara! Okay, I'll be 100% honest, my judgement here is going to be based on the little communication we've had recently. But you need to be more active. :c You said it yourself that you aren't on that much, and that's a good thing! Since you already know your fault, you can take steps to fix it, which is perfect. Aside from that, you're doing fine. I can't really judge on a personal level, since I don't believe we've ever talked. But from the posts that I've seen, you seem friendly, and that's a plus for me.

Netto Azure - Ah, my little Netto. I knew you before you were a mod, and I can say without hesitancy that you are a sweetheart. You're simply a really nice and helpful guy, and I appreciate that. You also seem to be very active on the board, but I'm not so sure about in your section. I haven't been to OT in a while, and when I do, I frequent 2 or 3 threads only, but your name hasn't popped up for me. :c

Forever - Cause Nica asked. Nica, I don't venture in the Unova section at all. I do see you on the Battle Server constantly and I can honestly say that you are a very outgoing, happy, and perhaps hyper person. That's a good thing, in case you weren't sure. =P I'm going to hazard a guess and say you are extremely active, considering you've got the highest post count in the whole forum and also mod the current Pokemon generation. You're also cute, but let's not go there. You're nice and quirky and active. And that's very good. ;D

Cirno - I might not post in NU much, but I venture there sometimes. I also knew you before you were made mod there, and you do your job perfectly imo. You greet the new guys like a role model. You show them where to go, what to do, etc etc. You do your job perfectly. Don't change

I'm aware that it might look like I'm kissing up to the staff, but the above is how I really feel. Perhaps it helps that I know many of them personally, but I feel like the staff (or at least the staff of the places I frequent) are doing generally fine, albeit perhaps they could be a tad bit more active. Anyway, this was fun, I hope you guys found my comments helpful or inspiring!

Edit: Oh! I forgot to say that the lack of activity is also understandable, considering we do have lives outside of PC and are human. I understand. =P

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
First of all, I just want to say that I'm thankful for this thread because I think it's a great idea, and a good way to sort of.. let members who are intimidated by on-to-one contact with moderators, or feel like their opinion might not matter to the staff- of course providing that this thread be used properly and not for ranting purposes.

But I digress, there are a few things that I would like to suggest, but I hope you don't mind that I add this a little later once I've had a good think about what I think is worth pointing out.

I just wanted to put a mention on this thread for now, and suggest that you, Razorleaf, maybe bold this part of your first post:
"Basically if you go off on one ranting about how rubbish we all are, bringing up personal quarrels with staff members, etc., don't be surprised if you end up with an infraction. I'm hoping that won't have to happen, but it's worth mentioning."

But I'm happy that a thread like this is finally up, as it gives really good feedback. Mods IMO are there to make the experience of members and the community that much smoother, so now that it is easier to tell you all what sort of things we would like to see, I think that we can make relations with each other that much better.

droomph

weeb
Years
Other than some issues with some of their behavior elsewhere, I think you guys are doing fine.

But I want you guys to remember that even if it is "elsewhere" and you can't get into trouble with it here (because different website and all), it still carries over quite a bit and affects how I view you guys as anything here.

It hasn't happened much, but for the times it has, I just want you guys to keep that in mind before going off on anyone, or saying something that might not sit right with that person or anything.

Melody

Banned
Years
I have to say that overall PC seems to be making progress in the right directions. Threads like Small Changes are slowly thinning the thick curtain that staff works behind, new blood flows throughout the staff in all rank levels ensuring that PC can move forward even more.

Since my recent return, I have to admit to being pretty well-treated and received. I didn't expect some random mod to have called out for me in my absence nor did I expect that a routine quarterly lurk session to check PMs here was going to result in me returning to PC. I have to thank Derozio for that. Everyone has been pretty nice, particularly the staff I have thus far interacted with since my return. So no complaints in that department.

The other mods I've met that are new (As in weren't mods when I left) all seem fairly reliable and nice and dependable. That goes a long way in renewing and refreshing PC and keeping it that way in my opinion, and I like it.

As for improvements, I'm afraid I haven't been back long enough to observe anything I find to be needing in improvement yet, but I will pop back over here with more suggestions for the entire staff, and/or specific staff members if I do think of something.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Well, I havent personally had many encounters with individual staff members here but from where Im standing, you all are doing a pretty good job and keep this place good and organized. Keep up the good work :)

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Yep, that's me
Years
Well I have a few mods as friends.They are witty, funny and fun to communicate with on PC, and love to receive VM's from them or anyone for that matter. I like reading their posts and threads.

Your staff in general, they seem to know what they are talking about on the forum, and are doing a really good job from what I can tell you picked your staff well and I should know, I am the Head Administrator on my own computing forum for 4 years now and I can tell your mods are doing a great job.

I hope this feedback helps.

Keep up the great work, PC is the bomb right now!

Last edited:

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I'm not gonna reply to everything posted so far (although I do intend to in time) but one thing that hits me which I never considered, and I don't think many of us considered, is just how little of what's going on behind the scenes, so to speak, is known by some people. I guess that, as staff, we know this - we're involved in mod lounge discussions and if it's not in the lounge, it's probably in HQ. But it never really hit me that a lot of people don't know what goes on at lounge level in the first place. While the actual content of staff forums is tightly guarded, their purposes don't really need to be so.

I might as well as explain that now; I can't see it being anything but helpful for members to know who deals with what on staff, and how we go about making decisions. There are three levels of staff forums in which decisions are made; the Mod & Admin Lounge, The Community Headquarters and an admin forum with a name that I can't for the life of me remember! As you'd probably imagine, each becomes available as you move up the staff ranks; mods have the Lounge, smods have HQ, and admins have their... thing.

Most of the threads related to section-specific things such as forum name changes, sub-forums, and minor implementations are usually discussed in the Mod & Admin Lounge. For example, when I modded Other Chat, the suggestion to change its name was brought up by Livewire and in that forum. Another example is this very thread; it's not a major forum-wide implementation so it was posted in there. So, for mods, those are the kinda things that keep us busy behind the scenes; forum-specific discussions and little things to be implemented. On occasion, ban appeals also show up in there as well as quick questions about moderating procedures. Basically the staff catch-all forum plus specific section changes.

The next step up is what keeps the supermods and administrators busy, and contributes in part to why ye see a bit less of us around the forums sometimes (not that that's acceptable). The Community Headquarters, HQ for short, involves discussion of the more major forum-wide changes, discussion of things which didn't conclude in the Mod & Admin Lounge, additions of new features, modifications to the rules, new themes, that sort of stuff. It's also where many promotions and demotions are discussed; promoting members and promoting or removing moderators to smods or members respectively is all discussed in HQ. Rather than a discussion alone like in the Lounge, decisions are made in HQ via voting; if the majority of higher staff vote positively for an idea then it's implemented and if they don't, it isn't. Fairly straightforward.

As I'm not an admin I'd not know exactly what goes on aside from the promotion and demotion of super mods in the admin forums but it'd be... just about everything else, I guess!

I really don't honestly think that staff mean to be so secretive that these sorts of things aren't common knowledge around the forums. It's not leaking to reveal to members simply how staff works behind the scenes - indeed, I think it helps if you guys have an understanding of who does what around here. While I'm obviously not about to go around giving details of what specifically is being discussed in the hidden forums, this should hopefully give you the general idea. I feel like members should be totally entitled to know what it is that their staff are doing when they're mysteriously "Viewing Thread" and that our jobs do indeed extend beyond closing threads and whatnot. So, for those of you who didn't know the roles of certain levels of staff, this should help ye out a wee bit! :D

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Being on this forum for a few months back on my old account, I can safely say that PC's staff are doing a great job! I appreciate they try and keep their section active by hosting events and activities rather than just locking threads all the time and barely observing their section at all only coming in when really necessary, like what I've seen on some other forums. AIl in all the mods are doing wonderful mantaining activity in their section except the only complaint I suppose I'd have is that the staff should do something to promote activity in barely alive sections such as Tabletop Games, but I'm not sure if this comes into relevance with this thread.

Also around moderators, I'm glad they also chat with more than just those of there own rank and above. They're great, funny and kind people to be around and I feel happy chatting with them. I like how they try and talk with all sorts of people rather than only bothering to chat with certain ranksl. Also I love their helpfulness towards those who have a problem and they're overall great, approachable people.

I've only got one major complaint though. Like Derk, I feel really intimidated around h-staff. I don't think this should be the case, that the h-staff are supposed to be people you can easily approach and comfortably talk to. They're great people don't get me wrong, but something just ticks inside me and my stomach squirms when I'm around h-staff to be completely honest. I don't know, but I feel like I'm not meant to have this feeling, that I should feel comfortable and confident to approach them and ask any questions or report an issue. But yeah like Derk, I just feel like I can't be myself around h-staff and I get paranoid on the things I say when giving my opinion,that they might make them completely judge me as who knows what? D:. But yeah I'm definitely not trying to attack anyone, although if I have offended anybody then I'm really sorry. ;___;

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Well, any reason in particular to the above two posts on why h-staff are intimidating (at least more so than mods, I presume)? Is it due to a lack of talking with other members/in threads for example, or something else? Something more specific in that regard would be helpful is all.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I don't know, really. Even after being on the forum for a year, I don't have much feedback to give to the staff. This is probably cause I have barely interacted with alot of the staff in my time here. But I guess it's enough to give some feedback.

Not really anything to critique about the staff of PC. I think you're all doing a wonderful job from what I've seen. You guys can really keep these forums in place and in tip-top shape. The h-staff know what they're doing when it comes to picking mods, cause the one they pick know how to control their section well. The mods are always engaging with their section and the people who post in it by creating discussions and events that boost activity. The mods themselves know how to makes these forums lively. I haven't gotten to know alot of them on a personal level, but the one I have, are lively and very friendly people. Alot of them have made me feel welcome in my time here and are also very helpful as well. I feel comfortable chatting with them and I can relate to them.

I would have to agree on Twilight Sky and Narnia on the h-staff being somewhat intimidating. I think the reason behind it is definitely the lack of interaction between other members in threads and on the forum in general. Probably because they're around and seen a bit less than the mods are due to having alot more responsibilities around the forum. Though a bit more interacting around the forums/ talking with other members will help a bit.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I've just been reading a bit here and I think the reason HStaff (or staff in general) is intimidating is because.. well they're authority, and people just see them as authority until they chat and get to know them. It can be quite hard for some HStaff to do that and post around when they are busy doing the more technical side of taking care of PC and don't have time to post around..

I think maybe a good solution to this is that maybe in the Official Forums section here, there can be a thread where the mods can write a little blurb about themselves just to seem a bit more like a person here instead of just a bolded name. I understand that not all mods/ staff want to reveal too much about themselves, but even if it's something like "Hi I'm a mod of __ and I like __ music. If you have a question about __ forums, then I'm usually on australian timezone __ and feel free to message me if you need anything. I wont bite." It just might take the intimidation factor out because you get to see a glimpse of their personality and might be a bit more approachable?

I am thinking a bit more like how the beginning post in the old mentor thread in new users welcome. Obviously this thread isn't gonna be a mentor thing, but just like a little extension to the "Forum leaders" thing?

Just a suggestion anyway :3

bobandbill

one more time
Years
In a way I suppose that would be covered in the 'About Me' blurb/s on the profile page of each user, including mods... so in a way that's already accessible to everyone. Admittedly not so 'promoted' as a separate thread about it would be, but if it's a problem mostly with hstaff than with mods in general (unless a lot of people are scared by mods due to the position and all - and in all honesty I think that's always going to be a factor regardless of how approachable one may try to be) then I wonder if it's the way to solve the issue. Makes more sense if it's a general issue for staff all over.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Honestly, staff who come across as professional can also usually seem intimidating too. Especially those with busy lives who sometimes can be quite short and to the point at times. We do all try to be approachable as a team however, but sometimes it can be like walking into work and dealing with customers as you log onto PC and see a bunch of reports. And we all know that even in our best intentions, we're not always at our best when we deal with every matter involving helping out or working on things.

I think I personally fall under the bracket of seeming intimidating to some members, I've been told that in fact. But in truth I wouldn't have anything to hurt anyone with even if I wanted to, I actually love getting to know people. Some staff get plighted with the stigma of being "intimidating" for simply doing their job of moderating and attending issues, and I find that a little upsetting in a way. I feel that we would be a lot less intimidating if we got more involved, but at the same time staff are actually quite busy with the upkeep of the forum at the same time. So I would be happy to have people approach me and try get to know me, talk about things, and share interests.

So the first thing I'll be doing personally once I get a bit more active again, is writing an About Me, and being a lot more responsive with Visitor Messages. But just remember that higher staff are just people who were members that really wanted to be mods or super mods, who all made dumb threads about Pikachu, all used ugly smilies, and posted in neon red colours and unreadable fonts. Nothing about them has changed, they've just learned to look a lot less like newbies. They once were though, so remember, they're members of PC the same way you are, and I speak for us all when I say that we don't try to be intimidating, so try getting to know some of them if you think you guys might get along.

droomph

weeb
Years
In a way I suppose that would be covered in the 'About Me' blurb/s on the profile page of each user, including mods... so in a way that's already accessible to everyone. Admittedly not so 'promoted' as a separate thread about it would be, but if it's a problem mostly with hstaff than with mods in general (unless a lot of people are scared by mods due tot he position and all - and in all honesty I think that's always going to be a factor regardless of how approachable one may try to be) then I wonder if it's the way to solve the issue. Makes more sense if it's a general issue for staff all over.
Some staff get plighted with the stigma of being "intimidating" for simply doing their job of moderating and attending issues,

Well another factor is the whole "you seem professional" type of attitude.

If you can just be a bit more visible with the "hey guys I'm here to party" than the "you made a mistake" attitude (which is pretty reasonable but not somethig to be attracted to) then the new members will see that "oh color doesn't make you any different than me".

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Well another factor is the whole "you seem professional" type of attitude.

If you can just be a bit more visible with the "hey guys I'm here to party" than the "you made a mistake" attitude (which is pretty reasonable but not something to be attracted to) then the new members will see that "oh color doesn't make you any different than me".
Well the thing is, if someone makes a mistake, the more visible with the "hey guys I'm here to party" attitude we are, the more trouble and offences that go around the forum. There's no harm in being firm, and I feel that so long as it gets the point across without being rude it's completely acceptable. Obviously we like to ensure that the staff is both approachable and does their job, and if a staff member is rude then they are punished in one way or the other. One misconception is that the staff members are above the rules, but in truth, we actually have our own set of rules on how to act on the forum which simply add on to the ones which stand to every member.

It is my own point that the more approachable staff members are the better, which will be reflected upon by us with the existence of this thread, but do remember that it's not really liable to assume that staff members are going to present a "we're here to party attitude", because there's often need to be firm. At the same time, staff members are enforcing rules, not initiating conversation relating to the user's interests. If ever you think that when a staff member handling your broken rule is a personal attack, it means that you're taking things a little seriously, and/or the wrong way. My point stands, staff members are there to handle rule breaking objectively, sugar coating is a personal addition for some members. Just remember that personal discussions can be held between staff and members via PM's/VM's and chat threads, but when staff members deal with issues on the forums it's them doing their job. We can only hope that there will be as much curtsy shown from staff as possible, and perhaps that will be something we begin to monitor more tightly after this thread, to add to our standards.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Why are people intimidated by people on the internet?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Why can't you just post what you want to post without worrying about things like that? And why is it different in the case of if it's a higher staff member?

droomph

weeb
Years
Why are people intimidated by people on the internet?
It's more of a subtle change in how you express yourself.

In the real world, where you can chat face-to-face, it's the body language that gives so much variation on the same word.

On the internet, it's more of how you present your grammar, and it makes quite a lot of difference.

For example, if i type leik this people know that i'm not srrus

But if I capitalize, punctuate, and have really proper grammar, and not use idioms, you can tell that I am being serious.

And if I type really fast and don't change my msitaks that are clearely the resuel tiof me typing so fast and i use a lot of exclamation points then you can tell I'm exited!

It's that kind of difference.

Why can't you just post what you want to post without worrying about things like that? And why is it different in the case of if it's a higher staff member?

"Why do I have to learn body language?!" said the autistic kid. That type of thing.

Last edited:
Back