• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[Discussion] What about fangames annoys you most? [Aspiring developers look here!]

What is the worst thing(s) about Pokemon fangames?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Improfane

hiatus
Years
  • Seen May 24, 2010
There are some brilliant fangames and some bad ones. The bad points tend to be common to many projects and bring fangaming down in general. This topic aims to consolidate the weaknesses of fangames in general.

Aspiring developers or project owners can use this to find out what they should be working on!

I've thought about some points that will probably be the most common and put them as poll choices. Vote for them if they are what you think. The fewer poll options you vote, the more useful this will be!

Please specify anything not in the poll as a reply.

Last edited:

Dyegov

Spider Pig!
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Apr 1, 2008
I have voted up for 5 choices.

'Slow or too few regular updates' That I hate! I mean, if you get on the board and start making a game, you should have enough time for and, and dedication.

'Misspellings in game' Another important part of making a game is grammar/orthography. It can be a fan game, but that doesn't mean it can look unprofessional; it's better to aim for the best and make it look professional.

'They never get finished' Well, this is the same as the first one, people need dedication! If you won't finish the game, don't start it.

'Poorly planned projects' I already mentioned making the game look professional. This can't be achieved if you just start mapping and scripting with a poorly planned project. Just take your time and open up a Word document, to start planning the story line/events, the characters and their personalities, etc, everything a good game needs. And finally:

'Fake Pokemon' You have to accept it: Not everyone is good making those. Most of them just look horrible and not well proportionated. Every time I see a game is being made with fake Pokemon, I just turn and never look back to it.

Firemaker

Pokemon Master
Years
Not all fake pokemon are bad. Pokemon Acanthite had some amazingly real fakemon (even realer than real pokemon) I put down that they become discontinued. Face it: Fake games have a 0.01% chance of being finished. Out of 10,000, one is complete.

Shadez

-
Years
my biggest
annoyement is
that they never finished
and
abandaning the project without telling
i´ve seen on another forum people were talking like a half year and the they said: yeah we canceled it 3 months ago

and sometimes that promises aren´t made but depends on game and promise

Years
Well, in general, I am going to sum it up and say that most fangames show a real lack of effort. I mean, almost everyone uses the same graphics, most demos are boring and useless (Talk to people and visit two towns!), that the topics are filled with utter spam, many people decide to use the same, boring storyline, that nothing has really been planned, that there are no new features or systems, that updates are made, but don't show much of anything, and that many people put poor-looking Fakemon in there games (Acanthite excluded).

lostprophetsown

chatot,lucario and lance lover
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2013
Well, in general, I am going to sum it up and say that most fangames show a real lack of effort. I mean, almost everyone uses the same graphics, most demos are boring and useless (Talk to people and visit two towns!), that the topics are filled with utter spam, many people decide to use the same, boring storyline, that nothing has really been planned, that there are no new features or systems, that updates are made, but don't show much of anything, and that many people put poor-looking Fakemon in there games (Acanthite excluded).
pretty much what i think about these sort of games they are just the same to often and they are barely even updated to many promises they just get a bit old now...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Whoo! 100th post!
Well, I figured this could go here: it really annoys me when people post recruitment threads when they haven't done much work yet.
Especially when their list of needed staff goes like this:
Spriter
Mapper
Scripter
Musician
Eventer
Designer
What is the thread creator doing? They're just getting other people to make the game for them. Thinking of names/a region map/characters does not help much - in my opinion, it just limits the actual staff. If I was working for a project like that, I'd just kick the 'leader' out.
For example, for my project, I alone am scripting, mapping, spriting and designing. A team leader must be prepared to work on the game as well.
I encourage anyone helping one of those so-called 'projects' to abandon it for a more organised project with a useful leader until the 'leader' of the 'project' actually does something to help.
[/rant]

Wyvern

Gallade's Fury
Years
it really annoys me when people post recruitment threads when they haven't done much work yet.
Especially when their list of needed staff goes like this:
Spriter
Mapper
Scripter
Musician
Eventer
Designer
What is the thread creator doing? They're just getting other people to make the game for them. Thinking of names/a region map/characters does not help much - in my opinion, it just limits the actual staff. If I was working for a project like that, I'd just kick the 'leader' out.
For example, for my project, I alone am scripting, mapping, spriting and designing. A team leader must be prepared to work on the game as well.
I encourage anyone helping one of those so-called 'projects' to abandon it for a more organised project with a useful leader until the 'leader' of the 'project' actually does something to help.
[/rant]

Although I am only mapping,eventing,thinking of plot/names and choose/make the music, Wichu's note is way important. Oh, yeah, do not forget the promises that are never made... *Ahem*
And about mispellings... JUST... be careful?

Lordpenguin

Pokémon: Lodestone
Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2012
I have pretty much the same grouches as most of the above posters, but there is one more I have that isn't listed; I get quite bored by the fact that virtually all fangames are made in Rpg Maker or one flavour or another, and most using one of the prebuilt Starter Kits. I'm currently designing a fangame written in Java; I'd love to see other projects written in other languages. I think that always using the same system limits how different games can be, and it allows people to start making a game without even thinking about or planning what they intend to do. I've noticed that all the best projects are run by people who have an actual grasp of systems development...

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
You know guys...this kind of thing, is exactly why I ultimately gave up with Pokemon GS...

Everything put down so far is of course, something you could in one form or another, put down on my work.

Mooshykris

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2008
The names.
It annoys me when there's a game called "Pokemon Muddy Earthquake" or something of the sort. Or When the creator of the game names the professor something like "Professor Dude"
When it should be some form of tree (Oak, Birch, etc.)
Whereas the game titles should fit into colors, gems, descriptions of naturally occuring objects, or jewlery (Diamond and Pearl)

GKS

Retired Hacker
Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2013
What is annoying is that the creators of the games never finish the game or has a good enough difference in the game to make it interesting. This goes for hacks especially since i seen more games with these bad qualities there than in the game development. Bad grammar just makes the whole thing seem incomplete.

Hall Of Famer

Born as Hall of Famer
Years
Well, it's comprehensible that people hate to see the game maker leave his/her project unfinished and quit. However, we ought to understand that there must be some reasons for them to give up the project. Some game makers are disappointed with the fact of their game projects remain unpopular after months or they can't get any helpers to work together on their project.

For me, I'm still working on the project Pokemon HOF but I once had thoughts to quit when my help request threads didn't work at all(thanks to Inmoosewetrust, the project is still alive~). Some people complain about the graphic and sprite issue of our fan games but how can we manage to solve those problems if we get no spriters or something? I wish people can be patient and try to understand we game makers. Stop complaining/hating so the Pokecommunity could be a better place for we video game fans.

blueguy

No capitalization required. ;D
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 20, 2013
I hate when people come on here and say that they're creating, like, 500 new Pokémon, and that they will feature seven of their own regions, plus all of the past regions, and a bunch of other b/s. They're illiterate and so untalented that they can't even properly recolor a sprite. And then they ask if people will "help" them.

Hardy Har Har

Oh dear, oh my...
Years
What I don't like is:
Misspellings in game - many can't overcome that(Examples of this problem are: a youngster telling the player that he "catched a Rattata" instead of "caught a Rattata", and typing Johto as "Jhoto" or "Jotho".) This mistake happens to someone who types or writes faster, and it really bugs me.
Fake Pokemon - When it comes to that, only Amethyst and Acanthite have excellent-looking ones for me.
No screenshots - How can we know what are the events without screenshots?

Last edited:

Ravecat

I'm Right.
Years
The names.
It annoys me when there's a game called "Pokemon Muddy Earthquake" or something of the sort. Or When the creator of the game names the professor something like "Professor Dude"
When it should be some form of tree (Oak, Birch, etc.)
Whereas the game titles should fit into colors, gems, descriptions of naturally occuring objects, or jewlery (Diamond and Pearl)
I find this very... annoying.

The point of a fan-game is that it's just that.. a fan-game.

If they wanted an official game they'd go play one.

People can name their games and professors whatever they want, jesus.

partyghoul2000

Intermediate Game Designer
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 24, 2014
I find this very... annoying.

The point of a fan-game is that it's just that.. a fan-game.

If they wanted an official game they'd go play one.

People can name their games and professors whatever they want, jesus.

ain't that the truth? >_>
picky, picky players...

Grifstar

Certified Shark Bait
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Fake Pokemon - Even though there's a couple of good ideas, and I used to make HUNDREDS of fake ones myself many many years back. I just... prefer the ones that actually exist. Honestly, there's nothing about your fake pokemon that makes it any different from the nearly 500 that's in it already. And most fake legendaries also just remind me of Sue characters. You like it, and you force it upon others and try to make it look "spesal"... But you don't really need it.

..... Which seems like an hypocritical thing when my game currently... has one fake. But it plays a very unusual role than.. well.. actually any other pokemon I've seen >.>;

Making the main hero talk - This has been something that's bothered me with every fake game(that does this). I prefer it if the main character just stays... silent. Because I don't know what it is but most seem to make the main character 1) a total jerk, 2) the typical spunky/headstrong/possibly sarcastic hero you see in 39672097.7 different games or shows, or 3) a goody-goody two shoes. And the worse part is, you're now stuck with that personality as you play... Where as in other Pokemon games, the person you play as is technically supposed to be a reflection of "you", to some extent. Even though you are still forced down a particular path.

I don't mind it in other RPGs.. of course. And there is ways to make the main character seem like it still has a soul, without it having a voice. It's been done many times before in games, and it's not hard to do.

Lack of Originality - I guess it's different if your purposely making a remake but... every fan made game looks exactly the same to me. I can't really stand it sometimes. Any game you see someone making its:

"You start off in the _____ region, on your 10th birthday Professor _____(insert name of a tree) allows you to choose one of 3 Pokemon: ______, ______, or ______ (insert the starters from either either generation), and are given your own trainer ID/license... as well as a Pokedex because Prof _____ needs you to gather data of every Pokemon you can find(because you know, their special Aides are too busy handing out items or whatever, and it's not like they asked hundreds of other kids do it too by now). And so you start off totally-not cliche quest to battle all 8+ gyms be the Pokemon Master! ... As if it hasn't been done before the last 80 times.

But along your way, you run into the evil organization, Team _____ (insert some sinister sounding word). They plan to capture the rare and powerful Pokemon ______ (insert the legendary the game is probably mascoted by) and use it to destroy/take over the world... Or, in story writer goes with Option B: Evil team has already caught/made an evil clone of said Pokemon and are using it right now. It is now up to YOU to stop them before it's too late.

And well... blah blah blah *put more things here, MAYBE one or two little things that could make the game a liiiiittle different from everyone else's*"

.... Well, alright. I have seen maybe a few ones that don't look too bad but... come on people, break out of the cardboard box. Most of the games I keep seeing are just "Travel to Kanto! Johto! Hoenn!" and like 5 other regions, rather than people actually trying to... well, add more quality to their work.

If you're making a Pokemon solely to unite all versions together, good for you(because I really do want a game like that someday). But if you want to make a brand new game... Please think of some brand new ideas first. Even if it's something that's never been IN a Pokemon Game before. Be a rebel >.>;;

Woah, this reply turned out extremely... negative o.o;

Years
cruddy grammar, cruddy sprites, cruddy fakemon, cruddy storylines, cruddy human sprites too and incompletion of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back